3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!  (Read 631 times)

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!
« on: December 18, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
I could really use some help trying to figure out a way to release the string with this hand. Not using a mechanical release. Maybe a special glove with a small hook sewn in or?? ?????

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
is that picture the right size tried to do it in photobucket??

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
I would go for the glove with the hook. I bet you can find a way to make it work if you will experiment with it and give yourself some time to learn how to use it.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
cant see a pic from my computer at work but could you use a piece of parachute cord around your writs and leave the tag end around your finger and use a string loop like on a wheelie bow and slip the string through that and hold the tag.it should release smooth.or do it without the string loop and do a double nock set below your arrow.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
I have a padded wrist strap off of the mechanical release I used now, guess I could try some parachute cord on it

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
The force of the string moving forward will fling the cord away.I would place a nock point under your arrow nock and then another 1/4 " below that for the cord to ride in.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
maybe a heavy leather glove with a small brass rounded over nub sticking out of the side toward the thumb so you could hold a string loop on it and it would slide off easily when you slid your thumb off of it like a string release without the release. just a thought ?? God Bless and Merry Christmas.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
There was an article on a guy who lost his arm and was shooting with a tab permanent mounted on the string with a mouthpiece on it.and used his teeth to hold and release.anything can be done with a little help from your friends!
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Pegg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
Hey Stickhunter

I can get you incontact with a leather guy I know. He makes shoes for medical needs and all sorts of things. I bet if you e-mailed him the picture he could come up with something. Let me know if you are interested.

Sean
If today was perfect, There would be no need for tomorrow

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
I have seen that artical to. pretty insperational. I think I will try the rope and if that doesn't work maybe i can build some kind of glove. I just don't want to get DQ'd at cloverdale. And I really don't like uses a wheely bow release.

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Yeah Sean I might be let me play with this for a couple days, if it doesn't work well I will give ya a hollar, thanks.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
I have a traditional style release made out of deer antler you're welcome to if it will work for you. Send me your mailing address and I'll ship it to you. If it doesn't end up working for you just mail it back, if it does work.. well Merry Christmas.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Stick hunter have you thought about a thumb release?

Also Eric Bennett is around the corner from me if you would like to go that rout.
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
My wife works in a rehab hospital as a speech therapist.  Occupational Therapists are really good at what the call ADL's -- Activities of Daily Living.  This isn't daily living for most people, but I'd bet if you shop around you can find someone that knows enough about archery and finger releases that they could help with this.  

We've got a friend who is a PT who likes to work with archers.  These are trained professionals who understand movement and have a drive to help.

Other than that, I'd second what blueline said.  Do some research on thumb rings.

Marvin

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
I'm thinking heavy leather wrist release w/thumb trigger. The good folks above have provided names of makers who do that kind of work. I'm interested in what you decide. Good luck.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Yup…the picture’s alright. Probably some dexterity questions to be considered, but you’re still shooting and it appears there are more plausible options available. The added ticket though is satisfying whatever criteria Cloverdale or any other trad event might impose…kinda makes me think I should spend more time practicing at becoming ambidextrous with my game. I can’t recall specific restrictions, but they might be as simple as “release aids”… don’t know of any bow-hand restrictions in shooting traditional class.

Best of luck, Rick.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Jacob, Do you have much strength and flexibility with the thumb on that hand?

I was thinking if you did, maybe something like a thumb ring release could be made. It would have to be connected to a wriststrap or glove instead of the index finger.

Possibly a leather strap with a thicker piece on the end to let your thumb slip off of like Earl Jeff suggested.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Thanks Mudd. Blueline I was looking at thumb rings a few minutes ago but it doesn't look like it will work with what I have. Marvin I have a sister that is a speech patholagist, I might check with her. Straitera I don't think I can use anything mechanical with a trigger, thanks anyway.

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Kevin that might work, plenty of strength in them. I just don't think I could use one the way they showed pictures on the internet.

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
If you can still bend your thumb, i might suggest you use a slightly modified leather glove and sew in an insert plate
with a cylinder tube, resting on the inner side of your middlefinger knuckle. Wrap the cylinder in leather to make it more comfy,
and better for string on release.

Then you just slide the string between your hand and the cylinder, grip with the thumb, and release by easing up on the thumb pressure.

To me, it sounds as if it should get a smooth and stable release that way, and be fairly comfortable for your hand.
Sort of a reverse thumbring.

I composed a small drawing to better explain.

plate on the inside of leather, cylinder sticking out

Sorry if the idea is rubbish, but i have never thought of this before..

In any case good luck  :)

-SveinD, Norway-
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©