3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hey Mudd  (Read 281 times)

Offline jwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey Mudd
« on: December 18, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
I recognize you from a few other forums (Squirrel Dog Central, Squirrel Haters, etc.). I was wondering if you ever try shooting squirrels or coons over your dog with a bow? I don't know why, but I am wanting to try to stick a coon one night after deer season is over.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hey Mudd
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
I have taken several raccoons over a dog with my bow. That was a lot of fun.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline jwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
It seems like it would be. I like to keep some bludgeon tipped arrows with me while deer hunting to shoot at squirrels and other small game. I have never gone out with the intentions of hunting just for them though. All of my squirrel/coon hunting is usually over dogs. I was wondering how that and archery equipment would mix.

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
Another from haters! I plan to get a coon with the bow this season too. I have a year and a half old OMC thats starting to tree pretty well this year.

Offline jwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris O:
Another from haters! I plan to get a coon with the bow this season too. I have a year and a half old OMC thats starting to tree pretty well this year.
Ha. Yall are everywhere. I don't frequent there, or any of the squirrel dog sites like I used to. It seems like I would rather be chasing bigger game. That, and all of my coon hunting buddies within an hours drive quit hunting. I do make a few MS Delta squirrel hunts a year though.

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Yea I hear ya. I live on Long Island and I think I'm the only squirrel hunter that uses dogs on the whole island. Im a total rook though. My ultimate goal is to get some squirrels with the bow and some coons too.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Squirrel hunting with a bow is great fun, however, what goes up, usually comes down. I take my dogs for a walk, they tree a squirrel, I shoot at it.  I use blunts and I try to set my shots so when I miss, my arrow comes down 50 or so yards away.  If you hit branches, your arrow can bounce all over the place.  I have had to duck my own arrows.  Dogs don't duck because they won't take their eyes off the squirrel.  You will also never get a shot at a squirrel on the ground.  Something to keep in mind.  Bill

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
I do squirrel hunt with my bow, I do squirrel hunt with my dogs but I don't mix the two. I quit stumbling around in the dark after coon altogether. Why? It got to the point it just wasn't fun any more.
 God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline jwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Mudd thanks for the reply. I didn't know there were this many trad bowhunting squirrel doggers around.

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
hey mudd i think we ahve met about 5 years ago at the cancer hunt in tenn. you bought a generator and had trouble getting it started  and come to find out  it was low on oil .
i stayed in that big green tent beside your camper billy ray freeman put up .

they call me scoremaster on the sdc.

if so howdy and how ya been .

thanks,
Scott

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 01:25:00 AM »
Yes sir.. That was me. Actually I had way overfilled it with oil. I must have put oil in every place you could put anything at all.

You just had to confirm that I am in fact challenged...lol I never did do well with anything that had moving parts to it. I'm still trying to get the bow and arrow thingy figured out.

Please don't let it out that I am a crowd all by myself.

God bless,Mudd

PS  seriously,Thanks for taking me back to some wonderful memories. That was a great weekend and I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Claude Thomas is dear to my heart and he was/is what that weekend was all about. Time well spent.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
thought that was you !!

you and yours ave a very merry christmas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©