3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You All Are an Inspiration... So I Took the Plunge Today  (Read 977 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
You All Are an Inspiration... So I Took the Plunge Today
« on: December 18, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Gents,

Over the past year, I have been a well rounded archer using both my compound and traditional bows for 3D and hunting...

During that time, I have participated online here and read widely such writers as David Peterson and T.J. Conrads. and various other in TBM.  I have also posted to various compound bow hunting forums and always had disappointed results.

What has always struck me is the transcendental way that tradgangers approach the sport.  It is less about the kill, and more about the spiritual connection to nature... you simply do not find that on the compound forums.  Discussions there revolve around speed, gadgets, and death.  The celebration is the kill and how many.  It rubs me wrong...

Furthermore I have been touched by the generosity of tradgangers to each other with give aways and advice... clearly this is a family of people, not hobbyists killing animals.

This all in concert with a rather transcendent hunt on Monday with my stykbow has made me realize that I want to be associated with these kinds of people... you are all good company...

SO, I put my wheel bow up for sale today and am going all traditional.  I realized that its not about the kill, not about the gadgets, not about any of that, its about God, Nature, and Community.  I see that in traditional bowhunting.  Plus the damn things are just more fun to shoot!  There is pleasure in a good instinctive hit... where with sights and pins, you really cannot miss.

I just wanted to share that with all of you who are true naturalists and outdoorsmen of the highest order.

God Bless,
Erik
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You All Are an Inspiration... So I Took the Plunge Today
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Wow.  What a testimonial.  I'm sure you will enjoy your journey.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Well said, congrats!!!

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Good for you..........enjoy the journey.

David

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Welcome and enjoy the many experiences. Besides, it's just more fun!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
...I reckon so.
welcome.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Well said.
>>>------John------>

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Welcome - enjoy the experience.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
Erik,

Well said. You have expressed perfectly the thoughts I had when I sold my compound bows and converted to traditional archery, two years ago.

Traditional archers truly possess a completely different frame of mind and appreciation of time spent afield. I heard someone once say that traditional archers care more about how they harvest an animal, than the number of animals harvested. That certainly resonated with me, and expressed my thoughts when I converted.

I have found that the knowledgeable men and women on this forum have been so generous with me, sharing their experience and wisdom without judgment.

Your decision to convert to traditional archery will enrich your hunting experiences, not to mention your renewed appreciation of game harvested, as it has mine.

Good shooting,

Dennis

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
Thats a big step Erik, Welcome. I can tell you this You will learn to Hunt now, more than ever before!
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Erik,welcome to your new family.I sold my compound on 1994 and never looked back,my 4th place at the IFFA world championchip,at the 80ys killed animals.Now everything is in touch with the nature eye on eye and not through a sight pin with mecanical aids.Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline weezy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
Welcome aboard. I've been a traditional bowhunter for 40 years and have been through all the stages. In the beginning we all want to fill all the tags we can get legally. Then we move to trophy hunting. After we hopefully take a few trophy bucks we get much more selective. I'm at a point in my life now , where the kill is the least important thing to me personally.
I was on stand in November this year with my son on stand about 60 yards from me ; we could see each other; and I had a nice 10 point buck [ probably scoring mid 120's] come under my tree at about 8 yards. It was the first day of a 10 day vacation and I let him walk. When we got back to the truck that evening my son asked why I didn't shoot him. My answer was, I chose not too; I had accomplished what I was out there for without killing the deer. I look forward to the day when he totally understands that feeling. I've let quite a few go over the years to hopefully grow bigger and that feeling I get is as good as the biggest bucks I have ever taken. It really is a journey and I hope all of you enjoy the ride.
Good luck to all and may we all accomplish our goals;
Bob
TRADITIONAL ARCHERY
It's been in my blood for 40 plus  years.
It's priceless!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
And it isn't a "we are better" thing it just is what it is.  Some like it this way.  Others . .  well, just don't.
ChuckC

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Erik, Very well said indeed.  I got rid of wheels a very long time ago due to all you stated above.  Traditional archery to me is more challenging, yet more rewarding.  Other wheelie bow shooters I know still don't get it when I don't get a deer all season sometimes, but don't care.  I'd like to think it's because I have matured as I've gotten older, and realized for myself at least, what is important is the connection to the outdoors.  Welcome home, as this site has been that and more for me.  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Welcome to this side of the fence. You will not find better people than those involved on this site, and in traditional archery in general. As others have said before,"It's not the destination,it's the journey."  Enjoy the ride!

Offline ronnyg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Right on Brother!!

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Erik,
 Welcome to path less trod. Most of us on here have gone through a similar epiphany, but you really put it into words.

Kevin
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Well written Eric! There is a camaraderie amongst trad archers that is special and a spiritual connection to the flight of the arrow. Welcome aboard.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
My feelings exactly!

You made the right decision.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
Well said!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©