3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: G. Fred Asbell Wool Pullover????  (Read 602 times)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
G. Fred Asbell Wool Pullover????
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
I currently own a Ron LaClair lt. weight(brown) Longhunter shirt with hood. How does G. Fred's pullovers compare with Ron's?  Is it the same weight wool, lighter or heavier? Looks like excellent quality. How does it run in size? I sure like the looks of G. Fred's black and tan plaid, but of course I've only seen pictures on TG. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has seen or worn either or both shirts. I would like for this to be debate free. I'm not interested in taking shots at either of these traditional icons.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: G. Fred Asbell Wool Pullover????
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Bill, I don't have any of Ron's shirts but I do have two of the Asbell pullovers. One is a long sleeve with hood and the other is a vest with no hood.

Sizes run true to just a little bit big (big enough to layer under)

Quality is superb! Very warm also.

You can do a search here on the Pow Wow room and you should turn up quite a bit on Asbell wool.

Top quality product, produced and sold by a TG sponsor, with some of the absolute best customer service I have had.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Rod Bear

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Bill: Have both. I wore Fred's this Fall. Great for early season hunting. All I needed under the shirt was a Underarmor undershirt. The thing I don't like is the open collar. When it started to rain, it did not take long to get wet. Ron's shirt with the hood is much warmer. The wind not blowing down your neck makes a big difference. Both are high quality. I think having both is the way to go. Merry Xmas. Rod Bear

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Both are great.  I have one of Ron's grey shirts with a hood and it seems a little heavier than Terry Asbell's.  I have 2 Asbell shirts - A red plaid without the hood, and a brown/tan with the hood.  The Asbell shirts fit me a little better and are perfect for earlier in the season.  I wear Ron's shirt when the temps get down in the teens and when the wind is howling.  You will not go wrong with either.  In fact, get some of each as Rod Bear said.  I'm thinking of getting one of the double mackinaw hoods.  ron
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
The Asbell wool is superb. Warm and very well made by Teresa herself.  Call her and talk about the perfect size for you. My shirt fits perfectly.

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline rp65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
now you have me wanting to buy myself a Christmas present.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I have a post on here titled "my WV archery deer season is over". in the picture you'll see my Teresa Asbell pull-over. I love it in every way and, it fits perfect. can't comment on the LaClair shirt but I'd bet it's a good one.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I got one of the Asbell pullovers at Denton Hill this year. Teresa was very patient and helpful while I tried several on. I use a neck gaiter anyway so the lack of a collar didn't bother me. It was warm, easy to layer under, nice pockets, and well made. I'm now thinking of one of those Mackinaw's.

I know a lot of people really like Ron's wool pullover as well. Nice to have choices!
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
I have both and teresas wool pullover seems just a tad thicker than the brown pullover from ron but both are great.I also am wanting to add the new mackinaw to my wear.you will not go wrong with either.
robert quetot

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
I wore my Asbell vest over my Asbell longsleeve pullover the other day and it worked quite well as it has really gotten cold here.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Heh - I'm really looking hard at those Mackinaw pullovers.  They look great.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Heh, heh,...I have a mackinaw on the way as we speak   :D  Ought to be here by Monday maybe.  I have one of the pull-overs with no hood that is great as well.  Size runs just right--I usually wear XL which is what I have and it fits just right for some layering.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
They are both great shirts....I have several of both, different weights and patterns....can't have too much wool!!!

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
Hey guys, How do you clean these wool shirts. I'm constantly washing my clothes in unscented detergent. If they are pure wool, you can't wash them can you?
Jim

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Jim - I'm probably doing it wrong, but I tend to wash my wool in cold water and then either hang it or lay it out to dry.  Still seems to work (though I haven't yet been brave enough to do that with my Filson vest).

Offline ewarshaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Keller:
Hey guys, How do you clean these wool shirts. I'm constantly washing my clothes in unscented detergent. If they are pure wool, you can't wash them can you?
I know this thread is 8 years old, but if anyone happens to read through it (like I am now), there are instructions for washing the wool on the Asbell website, written by Teresa.
Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
-Genesis 27:3

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
I ordered a Mackinaw for my daughter for Christmas. My wife said 2x because that's what she likes in a sweatshirt, I normally wear an Xl and when it came it was tight on me. It fits her just fine. If I order another for me it will be 3x.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
Wash in woollite and yes order one side up
Dan Breen

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
If you use it for hunting I would not wash the wool ever because you risk ruining the wool in my opinion. I thoroughly air dry and brush dirt/mud off my wool when appropriate. JMHO.

Kenny    :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
Shortly after posting this piece in 2009 I acquired my first Asbell wool long shirt. Now, 7 plus years later, my closet is full of Asbell wool. I especially like the wool vest for bowhunting. In my opinion it is second to none. As for washing, I have never washed a single piece. Since I layer, sweat has never been a problem and neither has blood from my kills. If I ever need to wash I will follow Teresa's instructions to a "T". Thank you Teresa for your outstanding products and customer service. Boy, time does fly.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©