3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: influence and mentor  (Read 260 times)

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
influence and mentor
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I was just reading some threads here on Pow Wow and started to reflect back on who help me the most and the best shot you ever knew personally. I have 2 best shots and mentors. The first would be Vic Berger from Springfield, Ohio. He was called the White Knight shooting machine. I met him in 1969 at Roy Click's archery shop in Springfield. I remember watching him shoot the 80 yard target at Roy's shop and never missed it while I watched him. He helped me to learn good shooting form and just good shooting techniques. He was also a good hunter. One of the nicest guys you would ever want to be around. My 2nd guy is still yet to this day the best shot I have ever seen or known. His name is Harold Straight from Columbus, Ohio. His nickname was "pump handle" because of the way he shot. He would come to full draw and then he let down at full draw until he reached and touched his right nipple and then he go up and come to anchor and then release. My brother & I became good friends with him and helped us to learn how to put everything together. He would always help anyone that would ask. I remember my brother and I went out to Mr. Minnick's archery north of Alexander, Oh. When we got there there was a bunch of guys trying to guess how far the deer target was from them. There was all kind of guesses. In pulled pump handle and one guy said now we'll find out. They yelled at him to come over and bring you bow. They said pump handle how far is that  target. He said 64 1/2 yards and they asked can you hit it. With the very first shot he hit it dead center. Also they stepped off the distance and it was 64 1/2 steps. He was a one of a kind that only comes along every so often. He really helped a lot of people. I was just wondering who in your archery backgroung is your mentor/or best shot. Mike in Ohio

Offline gordie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: influence and mentor
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
i picked up the recurve again, after seeing barry wensel shoot in that old vhs tape:
bowhunting oct. whitetails.
then had to shoot at 3-d w/ two "old" mt. men that kept outfoxing every wk/end.

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
I also have two mentors who in honor of my first trad kill gave me a hat pin and a flint and steel fire starting kit. They have both helped me out from day 1 and continue to do so. In life it is hard to find good friends and I can honestly say that theese two gentlemen are most definitley the best friends anyone could ever hope to have. So if ya guys read this post Thank you very much! Congo Man (Russ Most) and Right trail wrong time (Todd Duncan)
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline rp65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
I really didn't have any trad guys to help me, but my uncle was a great help with getting me into hunting when I was younger.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©