3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill "Big Five" bow?  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill "Big Five" bow?
« on: December 18, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Hello all,
I asked this question on the Shooters' Forum and when I got a notice that someone posted a reply and clicked on it the page said "thread does not exist". Perhaps that was the wrong forum to post it.

Anyway, I have thought of getting me a Howard Hill "Big five" bow. I was wondering if anyone had one and how does it shoot? Smooth, handshock, arrow speed, etc.. I am just curious and want to know before I plan on ordering one.
Thanks,
Freebooter
Of Heroes' music none is sweeter than bowstring's twang and hiss of arrow!-
From poem by DE

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill "Big Five" bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
To me all the Hill bows have too much handshock.A lot of folks love them.Best advice I could give is try one first and decide for yourself.

Where in Alabama are you?

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Millbrook, about 15 miles from Montgomery
From poem by DE

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
What Mr. Clark has said is true - see if you can find a Hill style bow to shoot so that you know.  I have a Hill style bow that I just love.  I do not feel any difference in the hand than other bows.  A lot has to do with how you grip the handle and using an arrow with enough weight.  There are a lot of posts on here about that.  You can do a bit of a search using the link at the top of the page to see all the members comments.

If you like 'em, you probably won't have just one!  Planning my next one, now.     :thumbsup:
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
If you can come to the Feb 3-D shoot at Tannehill State Park, I will let you shoot both of my Big 5's.  One is 68" with a large straight grip and the other is 66" with a forward handle.  Both are 55# at 28".  Bill

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Freebooter are you sure you don't have some Highlander blood in you. I thought, Galdangit He's trying to torture me more since he knows I just got one but can't shoot it...lol
 God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
I haven't shot the Big Five, but my Halfbreed doesn't have a bit of handshock now that I'm holding it correctly.  It's smooth, light and fun to shoot.  I still like recurves, but can't imagine really switching back to one any time soon.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
75# Wesley Special for me, and no hand-shock the way I hold it.

TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Hello all,
Actually my Northern Mist longbow is a Howard Hill style bow if I am not mistaken. It has a very shallow shelf and it is a straight bow, with the long ends going to elegant points. It is actually very smooth with little to no handshock. I was just curious about the HH  company's bows. A buddy of mine bought one Jerry Hill's bows, 55lb. I shot it and it is a pretty bow and nice to shoot.
FB
From poem by DE

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
If you like the Jerry Hill bows you probably will like any Howard Hill bow.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
I love Hills and own four of them.  Two are Tembos--one a take down.  They are actually to my mind the sweetest shooters of the four.  The others are a Redman and a Wesley Special. If you have a Northern Mist they are very similar if you have the Classic.  I own one of them too and like it a lot.  If you think the Jerry Hill is nice to shoot you whould really love the Howard Hill.  Service on orders is second to none....great folks to deal with.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Hill shooters find special connection with simple elegance & seasoned history that has been since Howard. Heard great things from Hill friends about Northern Mist but never shot one. I'd not trade one of my Hills except for another. Grip careless, it'll shake you like you've grabbed bare AC.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »

Now, I am not going to claim to be an authority about Hills, by any means, but..., I love mine. My bows range from 50@28-56@28. 68"-70". I pull around 31". I have not experienced hand shock, at all. As a matter of fact, my Wesly is the sweetest shooting bow I have ever owned. Not saying the other guys are wrong, but as I understand from some of the other posts, proper brace height, grip, and properly spined arrows mean everything. If it is properly tuned, it is a sweet shooting, accurate dream to shoot. Just my opinion.

Go to the Howard Hill websight. Craig Ekin is a super guy, and will take the time to answer ALL of your questions. In his online catalog there is a page that explains how to figure the fps your bow should shoot. It is 115 fps plus the draw weight of the bow. Average is around 180 fps. My Big 5 by the way is the hardest hitting bow of the lot.

far rider
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
sorry for the double pic post.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
I just noticed something on the bows pictured here and maybe its nothing but at least I'll know the answer if I ask the question and someone who knows responds.

What is the significance of the letters preceding the serial numbers on each bow.  On my Big 5 they are BC.

Thanks in advance.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 04:40:00 AM »
I think the first letter(s) is the first initial of the bow model, and the C stands for Craig (the bowyer).
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 05:32:00 AM »
I love my big 5.  Locater grip, 68" 61 lbs at 29" draw.  No hand shock whatsoever.

Offline QUINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 05:51:00 AM »
No hand shock here. Tembo t/d. Sweetest shooter of the several Hill's I've owned. None had any hand shock. 2 were big five's, one by Craig and one early one by one of the early bowyers who made bows for Howard.

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 06:13:00 AM »
Thanks guys, very interesting. I love my bow, but just want to get me a "Big Five" one day simply because I am Howard Hill fan, especially since he is from near my neck of the woods in Alabama and Howard Hill Archery was the company that he was a part of.

Something interesting: I grew up with and went to school with some of his kin folks, great nephews, etc... They told me that around the time of his death when they tried to do some sort of surgery on his chest, that his chest, shoulders, back and upper torso muscles were so hard and tough from his lifetime of shooting powerful bows that they could hardly work on him and could barely get his chest open because of it.
Later,
FB
From poem by DE

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
I don't own a Hill, but I've made a few "Hill style" bows.  As far as handshock in this design of bow, I really think it is a relative thing.  I've been shooting my "Hill style" bows for about three years now an never noticed any handshock.  A couple weeks ago I picked up my Great Plains recurve which I haven't shot in a few years just for something different.  A couple days later I pulled out one of my longbows again and shot it. Holy cow did it kick!! Never noticed it before.  Maybe I was holding it wrong just going from my recurve?  A couple shots later it seemed the handshock went away again.  So I think handshock may be something you get use to and don't even notice if you like the bow.  I think if guys who disregard them because of handshock would give them an honest try, they might change their minds.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©