3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill "Big Five" bow?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill "Big Five" bow?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
I have had several HIll's, and still own a Big Five and I'm a big Hill bow fan but they can be shocky compared to bows of other designs. The shock can be tamed with a proper hold like Ben showed in his post and also heavy arrows, with this combination it seems to go away. They are not speed demons but will cast an arrow nice and are dead silent. Just going out and shooting one once will not tell you if you like or dislike a Hill, I feel they are a mindset and an acquired taste, that improves with each time out, it is quite a feeling to take a big or small game animal with a Hill. You need to make up your own mind and go with it.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
I had always heard of the handshock,but when I traded for one I didn't notice any.I really enjoy shooting my Hill's,I missed out alot on shooting them listening to the stories of handshock.There is just something about the deep core D-shaped bows that appeals to me.They are alot of fun shooting them.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Could it be the bow model and the last letter witch is c stand for the makers name?
>>>------John------>

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Yes it is. "B" is for Big Five and "C" is for Craig.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Ben is correct Mudd, about the letters. In the ones pictured from my post from left to right. Cheetah, Big 5, Wesley, wesley
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Heh - I learned something today.  I always thought the HB on my riser was for Half Breed.  Who is B?

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
B= Big 5, C= Craig Eakin. The first two numbers are the length of the bow.

A Wesley Special by Craig would be WCxxxx
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Stone Knife said it best. Trying it once won't give you an idea. You need to commit to using it. At least, for me that was my experience.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
Mine is BC. Thanks for the education.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
GK,

Well, I was pretty sure that's what it was supposed to be. Maybe I spoke out of turn. If so, sorry. Then again, maybe yours is a typo, now worth thousands of dollars to the right Hill collector.......  :bigsmyl:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
I have a Jerry Hill, got it on a trade. Never heard a good thing about them but I thought I would try one. 50# @ 28" 68"long. Its one of my favorite bows now.Smooth, silent, no hand shock, just a lil thump at the shot. Just ordered a Apex Predator Cumberland {Hill Style bow}, I'm like'n these "D" shaped Hill style bows alot. Thought I would have a problem with the lenght-66-68" but it don't seem to matter much!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Brad Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I have a Big Five. Only longbow I own. I just need to work on my grip with it. I shoot mainly recurves and longbows are new to me. It is super light weight and no noticeable handshock, quiet as a mouse too and fast. In my case I just need to work with it a bit to be comfortable hunting with it. Craig is super to deal with too. Affordable well built bows with quick return time. Cant go wrong with a HH in my opinion.  :thumbsup:
Mommy, where does bacon come from??
Well, a pig sweetheart.
Well how does a pig lay bacon??
Cassie 5

Daddy, what season is it?
Well, winter season honey.
No! What "hunting" season is it!!
Cassie 8

Kids, ya gotta love'um!

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
Hey freebooter I just moved back to Al. recently and living up in Deatsville at this time I have several Hills but all of them are in storage right now. Might run into you at one of the local shoots......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Irish Archer:
GK,

Well, I was pretty sure that's what it was supposed to be. Maybe I spoke out of turn. If so, sorry. Then again, maybe yours is a typo, now worth thousands of dollars to the right Hill collector.......   :bigsmyl:  
Hehe that's the ticket.  :-p

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Hey Stabow! Dang man! I live in Grandview Pines here in Millbrook right across from Devenshire Apts, just a skip away from you! We ought to get together sometime! I cn't do much as far as getting out, shooting and hunting due to a toe I broke Tuesday night. I can't hardly put on a shoe right now. But we could talk shop, etc..
Give me a holler! I am fixing to PM you.
FB
Of Heroes' music none is sweeter than bowstring's twang and hiss of arrow!-
From poem by DE

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
I have a Wesley Special and a Big 5. I do not notice any hand shock. Last spring, I was approached by a fellow at a shoot asking advice on reducing the hand shock of his new Hill. He didn't care much for my first suggestion - which was to sell it to me at a really good price. When I shot his bow, I didn't notice it to be shocky. I think the manner in which you grip the bow and the weight of your arrows play a big role in hand shock. I grip my bow solidly down  on the heel of my hand. Not a death grip but still very snug. Heavy arrows help and so does brace height. For that item you need to tinker a bit to get the best combination of noise control and comfort. Shoot one a while and judge for yourself, but as for me, I love 'em.
Sam

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Yep, that 5 lam bow is the one I was interested in. I have no problem with mine, although not from that company, is a HH style bow with a very shallow shelf and all, straight limbs, etc.. It is four lams of bamboo and glass. It actually very beautiful to me and very smooth with no handshock to me. Since I can't afford it any time soon, I will probably just stick with mine. It is just that I want one from the company HH help to start and bears his name.
Later,
FB
From poem by DE

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Hey Ron,
Yes, I too have heard a couple of guys say bad things about Jerry Hill bows. But I am with you and disagree with them totally. That one my buddy has, is a 55lb @ 28" and is beautiful and a joy to shoot, just like you said very smooth and quiet and flings a reasonably fast arrow. He wants to sell it now that I think of it and I might bye it in the near future.

He bought from Jerry Hill himself. We drove up to Jerry Hill's property, and he and his wife treated me and my buddy like family, took us around and showed us around, took us in their home and we sat in the Living Room, drank iced tea with them and just sat and chit chatted and had a good ol' time. He showed us some of his personal memorabilia left him by Howard, his uncle. I mean they were just swell folks.  I think I am going to go visit them again one of these days.

So, if I ever hear anyone saying bad things about Jerry Hill's bows I am going to tell them the one I handled and shot was a beauty!
Later,
FB
From poem by DE

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
why shoot any longbow other than a Hill style???? the only way to go! lol I love them
My opinion is that there is just a different feel than a R/D longbow. It is not really hand shock if you hold it right, but it is definately a different feel upon release. Not bad, but different.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
I got a few hill style bows at a discount from guys who didn't hold them properly,
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©