3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 1305 times)

Offline mtquivers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Avatar
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
Best movie I have seen in awhile.
Van Bateman

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
$500,000,000 to make? Well then, they only need to sell 50,000,000 tickets to break even, before the merchandising. lol
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Helen and I saw it in 3D. We thought it was a good movie, their arrows were huge.

Offline BJP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Saw it this past weekend great movie great hunting seen all around an awsome movie, I may have to go and see it again.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
I wanted to see it when I saw the trailer, but I'm a little worried now.  I heard that they do not portray our military in the best light and (of course) they all are (or sound like) Americans. If I go, I will be taking my three godchildren with me in tow - their father is a Marine Major.  I really don't want to brainwash the kids with any thinnly veiled Hollywood tripe metaphors about the wars in the middle east.

You guys that saw it - whatcha think? Did you take that away from it?
TommyBoy

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Ya we watched it the other day in 3D, and when the bowhunting scene came up, I leaned over to my Bro-in-Law and said "look Brad, spot 'n' stalk bowhunting, this movie keeps getting better and better"...

As Arctic Archer said, not a typical hollywood message when it comes to the hunt scene.

Oh and I believe the points on their arrows were knapped!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Tom - Maybe one of our sponsors will start selling "avatar" bows and we all will need one :-)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Sounds like a  BIG SCREEN  "Go-See"!!  :thumbsup:   I have seen the Commercials and it looks awsome!! Its like "Star Wars", when Seen on TV its good, but when on the  BIG  Screen its  AMAZING!!   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
So far 3 of my kids and I have seen it. They have taken friends a cousins to it as well. The got back again last night late from seeing it. I was already in bed so didn't get the report again. I will have to call in a while to see how they felt about it again.

I didn't feel like they portrayed our military in a bad light. They may have portrayed the mercenaries in a bad light through. You should see it to make your decision.

Call me a prude, but there was one scene that didn't add to the movie. They could have cut it a little closer and not left anything out of the movie.

The bowhunting and connection of all things in nature was a cool theme. One that reflects very much how I feel about the hunt and the habitat I hunt in.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
All you southpaws should like it since all the shooters were lefties, huh?

It could have been named, "Dances With Wolves Meets Star Wars."

BTW, the hunting sequence was only a few seconds and I too felt it had a strong anti-military message which is typical of Hollywood.

Still, it was a visual treat and worth seeing.
Lon Scott

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
The movie made 73,000,000 the first weekend in ticket sales, only 427,000,00 more and there in the green  :)

Wy wife and I are going to see it tonight.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline extremebowfishing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Saw it last night and enjoyed it very much.  Lots of similarity with native american culture: the respect for nature and game.  Imagery is second to none.  You'll want to see it twice!
Muzzy Prostaff
Ams Bowfishing Prostaff

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Hmmm, seems as though there are some mixed reviews as to how our military is portrayed.
Since that's the case I will not give them one red cent to help them get out of debt on this one. Sorry.

Robert

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Former military here and as far as Im concerned this was no reflection on the military as we would know it.  The "Marines" portrayed in this film were not our Marine Corps as they were hired out to a private company as mercenaries.  I do feel the choice to use the word Marine was unfortunate but the portrayal of hunting and especially trad archery and the connection to nature was a welcome surprise.  All in all I would say the movie is worth seeing.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline SammyIamToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
While the Marines were in fact mercs in the movie, they did get a lot of the attitude correct.  I actually enjoyed that it was closer to spot on than most movies as far as Marines go.  I'm a former Marine.  The guy yelling "get some" while shooting the door gun was perfect.  The Col. wanted to fight.  That's what Marines do.  The main character even states that they are fighting for different reasons in the beginning of the movie.  

I really enjoyed the bowhunting scene as well.  I've recently got into trad.  My girl leaned over and whispered to me, "I bet you loved that part."  I really liked the movie.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
Well I won't spend a dime on it either! (Because someone gave us free passes!)
Got wood? - Tom

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
If you get a chance to see the "making of", watch it.  Very interesting new technology......this movie is not animation in the traditional sense.  
The actually used a variation of live action, that was then adapted.  Very unique.  The facial expressions that you see on the actors in the movie are the actual facial expressions of the actors as they were filmed.

In the "making of" they discussed having to teach the actors how to ride horses and archery.  There is a short scene where several are being instructed with traditional equipment.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
yes we just saw it in I-MAX 3-D it was an awesome action flick. I want to try that backwards two finger release!
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Avatar is one of the greatest movies ever. The kids and I have seen it twice already. I think the hunting scene although short was well filmed considering Hollywood did it. And I agree with Rascals post the Marines were hired merc's.And although they were pretty bad I think the real bad guys were the CEO's of the mining corporation.

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
I'm going to see it. It sounds great. As far as how it portrays "our military", I understand in the movie it is the year 2154: Not "our" military anymore by then, LOL! Really, it's a movie. You know, fiction.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©