3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 1304 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Avatar
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
We went last night, WOW!! Great special effects. My wife love it !!

We give it two thumbs up   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
My family and I are going tonight to see it in Imax/3D.  The reviews posted in thread makes me pretty excited to see it.  Thanks all.

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
We saw it today. All I can say is it is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I have never gone to see a movie twice at any movie theater, but I would this one. It was that good!

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
AWESOME flick, i tried painting my wife blue afterwards but she had none of it!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
I am former Army and served in Iraq.  While the warriors were merc's they definitely referenced Marines.  Having fought overseas, and knowing how soldiers act.  I also gotta agree witht he earlier post that the door gunner shouting get some is exactly what happens when a 19 year old packing a machine gun is in a full blown fire fight. We all talked tough and a whole lot of smack. It is part of being a soldier or Marine.  It is how you cope with the stress, adrenaline, and testosterone that is pumping at 110%.

As for portraying coporate greed, military type agression, and mankinds tendency to take what they want, the movie was fairly close to exactly how we as a people, our government, and military treated the Native Americans in our country 100 + years ago. The actions portrayed in this movie are happening all over the world today.  Look to Africa or South America for some really good examples.

I have the ability to differentiate between good and bad, so do kids.  I am taking mine to see it here soon. I believe that kids can see the movie, and having a conversation with them about reality and fiction will help them see the movie as just what it is, fiction.  

I did not see any ties to Iraq, Afgghanistan, or the war on terror.  If that was the movies intent then they failed horribly.  I did see some very close ties to how we as a nation treated the indigenous peoples of North America.

The bowhunting and fighting scenes were awesome.  I liked the way the showed how the  natives honored their kills and thanked them for providing sustenance to the people.  

With those super long arrows, and massively long stone heads, I bet their arrows weigh 2,500 grains and have a 30% EFOC!  No Problem with penetration! Definately a must see in my book
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2009, 05:21:00 AM »
I haven't seen the movie yet but a female archer I know says she did the spots on the lead alien woman's face when she worked at a graphics company a couple years ago. She didn't know what the movie was at that time.
She also saw that same female actor at the local archery range getting lessons.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by TommyBoy:
I wanted to see it when I saw the trailer, but I'm a little worried now.  I heard that they do not portray our military in the best light and (of course) they all are (or sound like) Americans. If I go, I will be taking my three godchildren with me in tow - their father is a Marine Major.  I really don't want to brainwash the kids with any thinnly veiled Hollywood tripe metaphors about the wars in the middle east.

You guys that saw it - whatcha think? Did you take that away from it?
That's exactly my concern.  Haven't seen it yet (probably will tho) but I'm anticipating a US = warmongers = bad sort of metaphor.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
I enjoyed the film very much. It certainly was a retelling of what happened to Native Americans, and what happens whenever an arrogant culture decides to take what they want from an indigenous people. That is not a strictly American behavior. There are many example throughout history of other cultures doing the same thing, and cultures within cultures being greedy and murderous to their own members.

One aspect of the story that I really liked was the fact that the Na'vi people prevailed, with stone age culture going up against cutting edge military. When that helicopter was brought down with an arrow through the cockpit I nearly jumped out of my seat!

Offline Scott Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by screamin:
We saw it today. All I can say is it is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I have never gone to see a movie twice at any movie theater, but I would this one. It was that good!
My feelings exactly !!!
"I hunt not to kill, I kill to have hunted."
"Aim small, miss small."

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2010, 03:31:00 AM »
Too my son to see it today, thumbs up! Special effects were amazing, and the story was great too. Worth the coin to see it on the big screen.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
Took the wife, 19 yr old and his g/friend last nite...

As a former Marine, I did not like the Eagle ,Globe and Anchor being on the lead character's t-shirt. It, IMO; relays the
anti-USMC hollywood mindset.

Other than that, beautiful colors. Wonderful effects and critters. Very much a version of American Natives(Wes Studi portrays the Chief).

To me; it was typical, anti-corporate,
bash the warrior, hold hands and sing the coke song, love story.

The archery and respect of nature was great!

Personally, I'm glad I saw it, it was eye candy and entertaining. Would not pay for a second viewing. Will watch the 2d/HD version at home though, when it's available.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2010, 05:03:00 AM »
I saw it and    :thumbsup:  

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
"It certainly was a retelling of what happened to Native Americans, and what happens whenever an arrogant culture decides to take what they want from an indigenous people. That is not a strictly American behavior. There are many example throughout history"

Seems to me the this happens routinely throughout the history of mankind.  Why "Americans" are always called out is beyond me.  Read history,  some tribe or group is nearly always taking someone elses "stuff", be it land, food, women, whatever.

This is very likely not even relegated to being a "human" issue either. Every couple years the big buck or bull is beaten down by an arrogant newcomer who wants the ladies.

It is nature, like it or not.
ChuckC

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
my family and i saw the movie and thought the special effects and the action was awesome.  I like how the portrayed the connection between the hunters(avatar) and nature and the bond we really all have reguardless if we realize it or not. The things we do on a day to day basis really do matter to all the inhabitants of our planet.
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Sounds like it might need to be my first trip to the "picture show" in many years.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by coaster500:
I was told it cost 500 million to make !!!

That's Crazy !!! 1/2 a BILLION Dollars !!!

I've got a headache..........   :confused:  
Some of your stimulus money?
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
All you southpaws should like it since all the shooters were lefties, huh?

It could have been named, "Dances With Wolves Meets Star Wars."

BTW, the hunting sequence was only a few seconds and I too felt it had a strong anti-military message which is typical of Hollywood.

Still, it was a visual treat and worth seeing.
A good movie, as to being anti military, I suppose it depends on viewpoint.

In this case, the movie was about invasion and conquest for corporate greed.

The soldiers were mercenaries.

To obey orders blindly, is not something I would like to think any soldier should do.

I dont like to think any thinking person would be at ease with how the native American peoples were treated by the US military in history.

If we cant watch a movie with a similar theme, and see "thats just wrong" we havent really made any progress in the last 150 years.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2010, 02:34:00 AM »
We saw it in IMAX 3D...$15.50 each...it was amazing!!!
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
I went to it - the archery seen in the previews got me to go. I liked the spiritual view of an interconnected ecosystem and reverence for game and non game animals killed.

The archers had good form and shot ELB or primative African style selfbows, two fletch  natural yellow/black feathers and extra long arrows - again similar to some African or South American tribal arrows. Clan head person bow was R/D with lumpy (horn or bamboo?) nodes. As others mentioned they did have an unusual string grip - so did Ishi.

Portrayal of military not that flattering, but then Apocalypse Now was not that nice to the army either and the archery scene was a lot shorter. Fortunately no politics is allowed on this site so we don't have to go there.

I plan to go back and see it again maybe even in an I-max.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Isn't going to be in town this week either.  Guess we'll just have to drive 90 miles over to Grand Forks to see it today (and stop in at Cabelas to pick up some shafts, and get a good meal...).

How Outback, just keep repeating, "it's only a movie, it's only as movie"...  :D   I live 7 miles from a major reservation, how things went and still go between whites & NA's aren't so black & white as you seem to believe...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©