3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snowing  (Read 677 times)

Offline JJ1956

• Trad Bowhunter
Snowing
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
It's snowing pretty good here in Maryland the weather man says we could get 10" to 20" depending on who you listen to. My question is how many here hunt in this kind of weather?

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snowing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
Man how in the world could you hunt in that kind of weather.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
I went out yesterday in front of the storm as I knew today would be a bust. Passed on a little eight as I already have a better one in the freezer. Hunting in snow might seem cool but basically our deer regard it as they would any other heavy storm and they lay real low in heavy weather protective cover.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Suppose to get a few inches here overnight and I'd like to be in my climber on the oak flat by the creek in the morning,especially since this is the last weekend of bow/smokepole but I have to plow/sand for a municipality so.......maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
looking at 20 plus inches now and still snowing here in southern WV. glad I put the snow blade in the garage yesterday. guess I'd better get it hooked up and do some plowing. good luck in the snow everyone.

Offline penrosefred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I sure don't quit hunting just because of snow, I hunted 40 years in Mi. before I moved out here.
I have been blessed, beyond measure.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
My track record shows I'm no super hero when it comes to taggin deer...

...having said that, I always thought that the "experts" told us (and I've found it true over 40 years of trapesin the woods) that they move on the leading edge of such a storm...and when it breaks.

I think the logic goes that "critters" are smart enough to know that being out in the worst of it, unless pushed, means expending calories and working harder to find less grub.

I've often found the leading edge of a storm was wonderful and if it's a bad'un, when it starts to ebb...be there!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Loosenock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
In weather like that I enjoy just being in a big 'ol wall tent spitting on the wood burning stove.
Joe

Offline Mohawkbows

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
Doc nock has it nailed....

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
This year in NH we have already had a few short but heavy snowfalls. My trail cameras showed me that even in the heaviest part of the storms the deer were up and moving. They do tend to move just before and definitely after a heavy snow, but if you have to hunt during the storm, well.....just do it.!

During the snow....

And after.....

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
Got a couple of inches here today where 1) I'm oncall so can't get out anyway and 2) it's the bonus gun weekend.

Blimey!

I wanna hunt in the snow.  :-p

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
We are now under a blizzard warning.  Already 14" on the ground, and expecting up to 20-24".  Going to be a while before anyone can get out to hunt around here
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by stringstretcher:
We are now under a blizzard warning.  Already 14" on the ground, and expecting up to 20-24".  Going to be a while before anyone can get out to hunt around here
You guys ought to make Al Gore shovel for you.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
We have right at 24 inches depending where I measure it. I went out for a little while this morning but didn't see any deer or sign, they're holed up tight. I've been fighting a cold the last couple days so I called it quits, came home and loaded up on meds. I may just take a nap!

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Yeah Gingivitiskahn, they are making fun of storm names, and are calling it a "Goreeaster" or a "Obamamama"
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
I'd have to echo what Doc Nock said, but I also like to go slipping throught the woods during the storm.  Sometimes you get lucky and sneak right up to the bedroom.
Molon labe

Offline ranger42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
Woke up to light snow on the ground and it's still snowing. I was on stand at day break. Had 9 deer under me at 8. I took a 115# doe with my tomahawk longbow and my brother shot a spike with his muzzleloader within minutes of each other. Pretty cool hunt, don't let the weather stop you from hunting.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
20" and still coming down. Shoveled for 2 1/2 hrs and already covered with 3-4". Will be holed up with this one for awhile. Went out with bow yesterday and passed on two little ones, two weeks of season to go.
 Definitely looks like a white Christmas here-for a change.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Derwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
I love hunting in the snow, but 20+ inches!  WOW!!!  That'd be tough.  We got a couple inches in my part of Ohio.  Wish I was out rabbit huntin', but like Gingivitiskahn said we are having our bonus gun season going on.     :(
"Derwood"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©