3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snowing  (Read 676 times)

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snowing
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
I work for the local schools and was going to head out Friday afternoon BUT was in a meeting late hammering out a plan for all this snow.

Was planning on going out today but WAY to much snow to head out. IF we had Sunday hunting, tomorrow would be a good day to be afield.

Here is a pic of my very small target range in front yard.

[/url] [/IMG]

I can't even begin to say how much snow.....ALOT would be the best way to describe it.

Looks like a white Christmas here in Maryland!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
not sure if its really hunting but i take my bow and walk in the woods during snow!sometimes kill all times enjoy! about 18 inches here keeps the speed down to where it needs to be/ killed one squirrel this morning will go out again in just a bit
  :bigsmyl:
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Well over 20'' and pushing 30'' in my part of Va.Snowing at 2'' a hour rate

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
It's a little funny when you think about it I love to hunt in the snow and refuse to bowhunt in the rain. it's funny how a few degree's in temperature make so much of a difference.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by stringstretcher:
Yeah Gingivitiskahn, they are making fun of storm names, and are calling it a "Goreeaster" or a "Obamamama"
Lol - I like Goreeaster.  

:biglaugh:

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
Got a couple of inches here today where 1) I'm oncall so can't get out anyway and 2) it's the bonus gun weekend.

Blimey!

I wanna hunt in the snow.  :-p
I know what ya mean I thought I may slip out after work this evening but a couple of guys were already on the farm.  Problem is it's a private farm and they aren't allowed to be there.  Gave me the ole I shot one and it ran across the property.  I don't have a problem if that was true but they didn't have permission to be there either because the same guy owns the land they were huntung on.

Offline blktail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Well we can't hunt sunday but I plan on being in the woods mon morning. We still have an extended season in 5c area.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I missed a nice buck in a snowstorm in MD however this one is a lot different.  20-30" plus drifts.  I haven't seen a single deer all day here from the window.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
If it keeps on snowing like this in Eldersburg, I'm going to have to look up in the trees! Last time we had a blizzard before Christmas in Maryland was 1966.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
The only thing I don't like about hunting in a blizzard is the chance of a marginal hit. I liver shot a doe one year and I lost her because she bed down and was covered up before I found her.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
I'm from Eldersburg as well. No "slipping through the woods" in this snow. I just came in and it's over the tops of my Alpha Burly's. I love hunting in the snow but this is a bit too much for me.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
the main thing about hunting in weather like that is saftey, stay warm, dont get lost and dont get stranded! The deer are still out there - thats where they live- you just have to find where they are holing up and plan your stradegy based on that. the big factor remains the hunter himself. How long are you willng to hunker down with your snow camo on while the snow drifts around you. I find that the older I get the shorter that timespan is.

Offline Andy Lupher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
I took a walk this afternoon behind the house in Owings Mills.. snow was up to my knees. Deer were moving.. had a button buck at 20 yards and saw a few at a distance. Pretty cool day still hunting tracks and drifting along.  Called it quits after a couple of hours - had so much snow on me I looked like a yeti..

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
This year in NH we have already had a few short but heavy snowfalls. My trail cameras showed me that even in the heaviest part of the storms the deer were up and moving. They do tend to move just before and definitely after a heavy snow, but if you have to hunt during the storm, well.....just do it.!
Yep, I shot a doe yesterday afternoon with the flintlock during the height of the storm. But then again, we didn't get as much snow here as most other folks. When I got inside last night, there was only probably 3-4" on the ground. I don't know how much more we got overnight, as I sprained my ankle dragging the doe across a dry creek bed and haven't been out of the house today.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©