3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 fletch vs. 4 fletch  (Read 554 times)

Offline Maze

• Trad Bowhunter
3 fletch vs. 4 fletch
« on: December 19, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
What's the difference in arrow performance when using 3 fletch vs. 4 fletch?

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 fletch vs. 4 fletch
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Not much. I've used both, and truthfully, I can't tell any performance difference. Theoretically, a 4 fletch should be a bit slower due to drag and a bit quicker to stabilize due to drag. Perhaps if one had the right equipment, one could actually measure these differences.

In practical terms, the only difference I have noticed is I use one more feather with a 4 fletch than I do with a 3 fletch. Since I'm cheap, I have opted to stay with 3 and save one feather per arrow.

You will get many opinions on this topic, but it will kind of boil down to what you like best, what looks cool to you, and ultimately what gives you the most confidence. If you think you shoot one better than the other, go with that one.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
which ever catches your eye...  I like 4 4inch.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
at trad bow hunting distances, it doesn't matter whether using 3 or 4 fletched arrows.  

from a functional use and build standpoint, 4 fletch doesn't require indexing and the length can be reduced to 4" which nets 2 fletches from a chopped full length feather.

i use four 4" bananas, 45x75, slight offset (no helical), stuck on with bohning tape and a dot of duco at each feather end.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
... In practical terms, the only difference I have noticed is I use one more feather with a 4 fletch than I do with a 3 fletch. Since I'm cheap, I have opted to stay with 3 and save one feather per arrow. ...
if yer buying precut feathers then 4 fletch might cost more, but if yer chopping or burning fletches then you can get a pair of 4" fletches from one full length feather, for two feathers per arrow ... whereas it'll take three full length feathers to yield a trio of 5" or larger fletches.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
I shoot 3- 5", 3- 5 1/2", or 4- 4" I just like 4-4" fletch a little bit  better.     :saywhat:

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
I have both, but really like the 4 for hunting. No need to worry bout the direction of a cock feather and I think it stabilizes my arrow a little bit faster on close range shots.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I like four fletched arrow for hunting you can pop them on the string either way without taking you eyes off your intendent target.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
What Earl said...also I switched to 4 4" fletchings because they were a little quieter. In a slight wind the 4 4" seems to stablize quicker.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
And what's wrong with "2fletch"?  :)  Just kidding.

Rob makes a good point about getting two 4" cuts per full length feather. If you're a do it yourself guy it will help conserve on material. To me that's the kind of tip that makes Tradgang what it is.

2fletch

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
I've been shooting 3 fletch but i just got some new gold tip shafts and decided to put 4x3" on them.  Haven't had a chance to tune them yet, but i like the flight i'm getting already.  I think you get a little more steerage from the fletching having it a little further back up the shaft and i can't see that i would any more drag from 4x3" than 3x4".  

I really like the look as well.

As for extra costs, it's minuscule when compared to the cost of the rest of the arrow.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
I shot 3 fletch until about 3 years ago...that would be for 55 years.  I shot well enough and have had trophies both from the woods and tournaments to verify that. However, I tried four fletch about 3 years ago and my arrows and groups seemed to be better. Broadheads seemed to shoot better. I made a few for my wife and she thought the same thing. So now I shoot 4 X 4" and love it. It may seem like I am using  more feather but I trim them lower than I did before so I think that overall surface area is about the same. Subjectively the arrows seem to straighten out quicker.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline RPolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Sort of off topic, but does anyone other than Bitzenberger make a 4 fletch jig?
"These Longbows are cool" Eli age 7, while stumping in the back yard

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
I have tried both. I now use only 3 fletch for a couple of reasons. First, I use the back of a shield feather touching my nose as a secondary anchor point and the cock feather on a three fletch lines up perfectly for that. Second, I think three fletch looks a little cooler. Third, I use index nocks and find the index without looking, so the no-look advantage of four fletch is cancelled out by that. Last, there are fewer feathers to scrape together in a bow quiver with 3 fletch.
All of the above effect my performance as a shooter.
As far as arrow performance is concerned, I do not see any difference between 3 and 4.
I like the looks of Ron's TradGang arrow wraps in the photo of his arrows, so I might have to try some of those on a dozen at some point.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
I agree with the noise comment above. I went from three 5 inch to three 4 inch and the difference in noise was increditable. I tried the 4 fletch but never saw a difference...so being cheap I just stuck to 3 fletch.
SL

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
I really like 4 fletch on my selfbow arrows because I can use 4 four inch feathers instead of 3 five inch.  With the very low brace height of the wood bow, the 4 inch feathers work better.  On my recurve, I have 3 five inch feathers currently, but I think I am going to switch to 4 five inch feathers.  Can't help but stabilize the flight faster.  My current 3 fletch do fly fine though.  It'll just be something fun more to mess with.
Silence is golden.

Offline RonH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
I just switched from three 5 inch to four 4 inch at 90 degrees. The four fletch seems to handle the heavier broad heads that I shoot now.

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
4 fletch is nice in the snow and rain
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
4's just look cool.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
Try both 3 and 4 to see what you like. It is purely a preference thing-just like which bow is better. Good reasons have been given for both; but at the end of the day it is what you like best that counts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©