3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pets hooked on Archery  (Read 593 times)

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
Pets hooked on Archery
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Once had a Cat Named Albert .. lived in the country had a huge archery range set up .. Albert was a Big Tom Cat that would not come if you called him only way I could find him is shoot my Bow When he would hear Bow going off he would run out of whatever his hideing spot was as Albert loved to play swat at the arrow ,, He would climb on  top of my bag target at swat at the arrows as they came in after i was done shooting he would jump bown and chew on the feathers and nocks of arrows he never got tired of this game and friends told me that i would shoot my cat one day  but albert could see them comming in and it did not worry him or I .. Have any of you had Pets that loved Archery as much as my cat Albert
Gord

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pets hooked on Archery
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
One of my dogs loves to wait until the very last second of my draw, just before release, to start barking like mad. I know it is on purpose too. He'll sit beside me and wait and watch. Somehow he knows just when i'm about to let go. I think he's trying to make me better under pressure   :D

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
I had a Pit Bull named Harley that I was watching
for my daughter one summer.He was the greatest dog.
 Anyhow,when I would get my bow and head over to my target he would be right there following me.I would pull an arrow out of my quiver and nock it and that is when he would start to bark,all the way through the release.He use to drive me crazy until I realized that if I could pull off a good shot with all that noise and distraction a real life shot would be no problem.He also use to try and chew the front tire off the riding mower,as I was mowing.What a dog.

Offline Kenkel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I havent lost an arrow while practicing in the yard for over 3yrs.  My lab has found dozens of arrows that have went thru or completely missed targets and hid under the grass.  He has saved me and my buddies lots of dollars on lost arrows.  It is amazing to watch him get downwind and go right to them.  You have to be on your toes though because he has broken a few woodies by grabbing them and snatchin on em.  He absolutely loves to hunt them.  I guess that he is just happy to hunt anything since we lost our duck and dove huntin spots.  We are both happy I guess though!!

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Gota black lab that thinks my woodies are sticks in a high speed game of fetch
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
When I shoot inside, my cats like to sit on the couch and watch the arrows whiz by.  Occasionally Tank will go paw at them in the target, so I have to stop shooting and wait till he meanders off.  They are pretty curious fellows and want to be in on whatever is going on.
Silence is golden.

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
Here's our cat Mufasa. He goes squirrel hunting with me and follows me around when I'm outside shooting.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
Gordon,We have the same cat here.He is a ranch cat.Not much to do with you until you start shoot'n.We have a 3D range set up here,and he will walk target to target with you.Strangest thing.We just call him yella.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 02:08:00 AM »
I have a friend with a lab that finds his arrows that miss his target. I found out the hard way; that when the dog gets tired; he chomps the arrow in two. Or three; or three thousand.....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »
Awwwww.......look! Mufasa is dreaming at full draw!

My dogs HATE my bows! I shoot in my apartment and it's a bit loud, plus I'm very stern with them about laying down and staying. In a 1 bedroom apartment, we fight for space in the bed. There is NO lenience as far as safety goes though....HAHA!

I need a yard. =0)
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »
My German Short hair thinks that he is suppose to retrieve the arrows after I shoot them. He runs to the target trys to pull the arrows out and bring them back to me. That old mutt has ruined many fletchings.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 06:22:00 AM »
Isn't it just great to have a pet you know is just wanting to please you. I never tried to teach Liar to retrieve anything, he figured out on his own that I liked having the squirrel or coon whichever we happened to be hunting so out of the blue one day he started bringing them to me. I love that dog!  But I know it would be hard for anyone not to like a dog named Trouble with the Truth and called Liar for short...lol
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
Our cat is hard core Trad Gang.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:
I have a friend with a lab that finds his arrows that miss his target. I found out the hard way; that when the dog gets tired; he chomps the arrow in two. Or three; or three thousand.....
My GSP does that for me.  He gets so excited when I yell "Find" and point in a direction.  He'll run around w/ his nose to the ground and scratch where he smells it.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Our chickens seem to be facinated with the entire process of shooting, especially the part when the arrows go into the target.........then again, they might just be suspecting that someone may throw some grain for them....can't be a lot of other reasoning going on in those tiny brains.....  My wife is always warning me not to shoot one of them!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
I once had a cat named Albert, whom I miss very much! The personalities on the rascals wins my heart every time!

The cat which lives with us now is very curious about the arrows, and wants to smell and chew on them at the target, but me being new and not that confident yet I always have to trick him away!
Really disrupts my shooting, maybe so he knows he'll always stay a better hunter than me ^^
I don't know of many cats that hunt seagulls..
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Tess (Springer) fetches when I stumpshoot. Now, soon as touch my bow, her head wrinkles waiting for the shot. If not fast enough she'll go nuts barking and spaz dancing. Always fetches by the fletch.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
At Twig Archery here in Ohio, he has a Friday night shoot every week when deer season is not in force. He offers a 30 target course that is not for the faint of heart!! We always joke that anyone who shoots his course can figure out that hes specialty is arrow-making!!!

Anyway, his yellow lab, "Capri", always follows that gang around the course and is quite helpfull. 1 target is skylined on a small saddle with a long pond behind that can't be seen from the stake but you KNOW it is waiting to swallow your arrow. IF you miss-------Capri joyfully jumps into the pond and by using a well thorwn rock, you can direct her to your arrow and she will bring it back to shore!!! Some how----the area has become devoid of rocks lately and worried shooters may have to bring their own from the driveway  :bigsmyl:  

She will also help look for your arrows that miss and go into the brush, but you usually don't wnat her to find those as she is not teh most delicate as she yanks them out of the ground and runns back to you  through the woods!!
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
I used to have three English Setters. Whenever I would shoot the Setters would go on point as I nocked and drew the bow.  After the shot they would run around the yard looking for the arrow or whatever they thought I had shot.  As I repeated the process they would go on point again, it always reminded of the childrens game red light green light.
Al

Offline PAPA SMIRF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
After a fresh snow, when I put my bow and quiver into the truck my bassets all know it's bunny time and start to roar at the same time ... I have to get them loaded and out of town before the neighbours complain!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©