3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pets hooked on Archery  (Read 592 times)

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pets hooked on Archery
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
i have two boxers that will bark and jump on me everytime when i draw my bow back. if i just hold the bow they are fine but as soon as i draw it back they jump on me  trying to get the arrow

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
I have a beagle - "Brandie Buttski" She has two particular talents:
First, the talent for which she got her second name. If you've ever been around dogs long enough, you've witnessed that one. Brandie is just good at it.
Second, she always manages to come out of the house when I'm shooting and sits in front of the target! Dang dog, she'll come if you call her any other time but when I'm shooting! Drives me nuts! (I suspect she knows it.)
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Had a black lab on Adak named Bou.  Used to take her jumping Ptarmigan.  Only lost one arrow in many shots at flying birds.  She found them and you had to be close or she would gnaw on the feathers.

Now I have a Boykin named Bit who sits at my feet and at every shot she runs to the target and goes up on her hind legs to sniff the feathers, then comes back for the next shot.

Offline yamaharider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
Our little yorkie (Nikki) loves it when I go shoot in the yard. She will stand behind me until I am done shooting and chases me to the arrows. I think she stands behind me because she has seen me hit the shed tooooo many times! lol
PSAV

"The older I get, the better I was"

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Had a tom cat that use to love to go for walks.  Whether I carried the bow or not, he was by my side.  That cat was more obedient than some dogs that we have had.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »

My Brittany, TooKo, loves shooting my bow almost as much as i do!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »

A few years back we were in camp doing some shooting, and this very brave, yet very stupid barn cat decided it wanted a better view of the action.

He crawled up and sat on top of the block while we were shooting.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I was hoping someday someone would ask about this so Icould top their stories. I swear this to be true. For several years  I hunted mule deer at Sugarite Canyon in northern N.M. Several guys always camped next door. One of them Russ. owned a golden lab. First I must describe the campground. We were in the bottom of a canyon and both sides went up at least 45 degrees, and the walls were covered with oak brush so thick that at times you had to crawl through it. They always placed a dollar bill on a pine tree at least 100 yds uphill, and placed some sort of bets on hitting it. The lab showed no interest in the shooting, however after everyone had shot Russ would tell her to fetch, and one at a time she would find and return all arrows. I found that amazing. Of course she didn't get the ones that inadvertantly stuck in the tree. They were all shooting wheeled bows, but as far as I know the currency was always intact.
        Larry

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
My labs Josie & Sunny love stumping as they get to retrieve the arrows.  They practically wet themselves when I grab a bow and head outside...

Note both marking the arrow and how they are ready for the send command...

"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Dadgum Terminator. That's good stuff. Mine just dances in front of me and tries to catch them then can't find them and gets mad at me and starts growling at me cause I shot it too fast.   :help:   Thats him looking for one.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
My old black and white tom cat loves it when I shoot.If i'm shooting in the yard he either sits on the bale or sits on my foot while i'm shooting.If i'm stump shooting he makes every track I make no matter how long I shoot.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
My dog loves my practice sessions. He runs to the target when I go to retrieve my arrows and then he sits at heel while I shoot. My neighbor dog takes off as fast as he can as soon as he sees the bow, it's as if he thinks I'm going to use him for a target.- Steve

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »

My lab border collie mix loves when I shoot.  She's saved me a ton in finding lost arrows and found a few for friends.  She loves the feathers, likes to lick and paw them.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Terminator, you may want to start breeding arrow retivers. If they can find a bird or two all the better. Loved the photos thanks very much.

We have a Decker Rat Terrier(they are 35 pound Rat Terriers). When I first put the 3D targets up in the spring he sees them and tries to kill them. He will rip a good Deer or Hog target to pieces in seconds. Every year now I just take one of the old tore up ones out and let him have at it a few times. After a day or two he lets them be.

I should have added he does like to watch me shoot.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doug in MN:
Terminator, you may want to start breeding arrow retivers. If they can find a bird or two all the better. Loved the photos thanks very much.

Training gundogs is another one of my passions...

Josie & Sunny are fully Finished labby-girls, both as good waterfowling from a field blind or boat as they are at digging late season roosters out of the cattails or finding sharptails in the buffalo berries.

Josie has better than 1000 hunting retrieves, Sunny around 500. In addition to birds & arrows, they both are trained to blood trail big game, find sheds, and article search (Josie is better at blood & articles than Sunny, but she's had a few more years of practice).
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Gordon,I have a tom cat called Oscar,we also have 6 dogs that he gets along with just fine, but most of the time he prefers to keep to himself.
His people time is mostly with me while I shoot in my back yard,,and he does much the same thing your's does.
He lays on top of my target bale an watches the arrows come in,doesn't swipe at them but you keep see him following their flight in like he's about to ponce on them.
Turns him from a mean old tom cat into an instant kitten,,,,funny as heck,but freaks out visitors that see him up there while I shoot.
The Mrs just shakes her head an mutters "your both nuts",,,I'm ok with that ;^)
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
Also, our flock of guineas all come out to watch & scream when we shoot the oudoor target.  Of course, guineas pretty much scream at everything...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by NDTerminator:
My labs Josie & Sunny love stumping as they get to retrieve the arrows.  They practically wet themselves when I grab a bow and head outside...

Note both marking the arrow and how they are ready for the send command...

MAN I NEED A DOG LIKE THAT!!!!!
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
This is my Abby she lives to go shooting with me. She beggs to go shooting  as much as she dose hunting ducks. Everybody in the archery club knows her probly better than myself. If I rattle and arrow in my quiver she gose nutts. this is Abby at her favoite place She learned more comands at the archery range than anywhere else. When not shooting a bow with me she still likes to hunt ducks.

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Here is my boxer Brutus.This was 4 yrs ago,he is a little slower and grayer but still hates it when I shoot.My wife says he doesn't want me shooting at the deer.Who knows maybe she's right(LOL).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©