3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone ever switched RH to LH?  (Read 369 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anyone ever switched RH to LH?
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Has anyone ever switched from right to left?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever switched RH to LH?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
Nope left handed to right.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
YES! It was the best thing I have done since switching to trad gear only.

I am left eye dominant and could never quite get it shooting right handed. G. Fred Asbell wrote in TBM something to the effect that if you were left eye dominant you should shoot left handed. That was enough for me and February of last year I switched full time to lefty and havent looked back since!

Sold all my righty bows and have loved every minute of it. Now I know what it REALLY means to shoot instinctively. No more having to use the arrow to "aim" at the target. Switch was an absolute breeze and took really no time at all. Still funny referring to myself as a "lefty."

Why are you considering the change?
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
Yep.....switched from right to leftie 20 years ago. I still shoot right handed, but prefer to shoot leftie, and do 90% of the time. It's not as difficult as it may seem.

The first couple of days will feel strange, but you pick up on it pretty quick.

Shooting a bow is the one and only thing I do left handed.....looking back, when I shot a lot, the arm I held the bow with got tired (left). I'm naturally right handed so my right arm is stronger than my left....switching to holding the bow with my right hand was a big help in not getting tired as quickly.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
A couple of guys and gals at our club have switched with mixed results. Fred Bear and Glenn St. Charles both are 'switchers'.

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 12:31:00 AM »
Im shooting right handed and have since 1986.But extreamly left eye dominate. Ive always wanted to switch. I shoot fairly well as a righty,but when I shoot my daughters left hand bow wow ,what a beautiful sight window. The problem is it feels so wrong. How long does it take to wake the switch, and get to where it feels natural.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
I switched back in 1991 from RH to LH. I was shooting a compound bow with sights and had to close my left eye while shooting.  It took a couple of months until it felt natural shooting lefthanded, but boy was it ever worth it.  It probably doesn't make as much difference when shooting instinctive, but if I was left-eye dominant I would definitely make the switch.  But obviously, I can only speak for myself.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
Yes went blind in right eye could not shoot for s**t tried and tried for about a year finaly gave in it took a couple months but things slowly turned around .
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
I switched 15 years ago (left eye)to shoot compound with sights both eyes open, then found the longbow was more my style, now I shoot both left & right, prefer to shoot lefty
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 01:28:00 AM »
It is weird at first but I found it not as difficult as I thought.  

Much more difficult was being able to comfortably move in the woods as a left hander, leading with my right foot so I can shoot and moving like that.
ChuckC

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »
I switched to shooting lefty 5yrs ago shooting wheels.Got into trad a couple yrs. ago lefty feels totally natural to me.

Offline Derwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 02:27:00 AM »
This is something I've struggled with in the past.  Being left-eye dominant I've tried to make the switch, but after several failed and expensive attempts with different bows, I decided to stick with righty.   I'm happy with my decision and now that I'm not going back and forth, my shooting has dramatically improved.  Good luck to ya.
"Derwood"

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 05:11:00 AM »
We all know that when we begin shooting a bow we need to stay on line with the dominant eye.So don't loose time make the switch,the first the better.My advise is to not go back and forth.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
I know a guy here that had to because of injury/medical condition.I tried to shoot one of his bows and couldn't even touch the target from 5 yards as a lefty.I have a lot of respect for someone one that could make that change!That takes ALOT of practice.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline smiley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
I did it with no problem but it took a while to get a clean release to my satifaction
Wayne A Hoffman

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
I started with an in-expensive Bear Cub bow when I first switched. I didn't want to invest in an expensive bow it the "switch" didn't work. Once I got the hang of it "I burned the boats" so to speak and sold all the rightys. I have never switched back and forth at all.

The most challenging part of the switch was picking up the arrows to nock them believe it or not. For a while I still wanted to pick them up with my right hand instead of my left and that doesn't work so well.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
I switched in 1997. I always had shot right handed even though I am a lefty and left eye dominant.

As a kid I started off right handed as that was what was available to shoot, and I normaly ended up with someones hand me down bow!

When I fist switched to lefty it was terribly awkward after 20ish years of shooting a righty it was even hard to knock an arrow! I have no idea how many times I picked the bow up from the wrong side that first year but it was often!

After  that first year though it was comfortable and natural feeling for me and my shooting had improved by alot!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline RPolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Some experts will tell you it doesn't matter if you're really shooting instinctively. Obviously I'm not an expert because I shoot much better now as a lefty.
"These Longbows are cool" Eli age 7, while stumping in the back yard

Offline kevin braun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
When a good friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer and had to have his right eye removed he switched instead of just giving up.  he had shot right handed since he was a kid, switched to lefty for the last couple years of his life.  It was very inspiring to watch someone go through that and keep doing what he truly loved.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
RH to LH ...it to was the best thing I did , if you do it every day , with light bow , you can do it!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©