3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone ever switched RH to LH?  (Read 368 times)

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever switched RH to LH?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Bayoulongbowman, Great point on dropping in draw weight. I went for a 60# longbow to a 45# recurve. Dropping in weight will allow someone to foucs on the "shooting" part and not be exerting too much effort on the "drawing" part.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
My issue is not an eye dominance issue.  I am RH and R-eye.  I have shot for many years, but I am only 39 YOA.  I started shooting competition heavy when I was 14 and on.  Lets just say that my shoulder has seen alot of arrows.  For the last 5 years or so I have dealt with shoulder pain that comes and goes.  Just alittle bit of too much shooting, and the pain flaired up and it hurts to draw.  REST is prescribed, but again the problem will return.  I have also dealt with TP in the last 3 years.

I just reread an article about Tom Parsons where he mentions that he switches back and forth due to intermident shoulder problems.  I know it is possible to become accurate shooting off of your nondominant eye.  It will take csome dedication for sure on my part, but wanting to shoot is rerely an issue for me.  

The other advantage is that side of my brain does not know all of my bad habits!    :biglaugh:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
I am right eye dominant, shoot RH, but often practice LH as it seems to help balance and form, even for when I switch back. I shoot the same weight bow too, I just don't shoot too many arrows. I just place a little piece of leather on the side of the riser and shoot off my hand.

Offline ronnyg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
I'm left handed in most everything I do except shooting a bow.  No doubt, I'm left eye dominate. When I first changed from compound to traditional, it took a little practice, but now is a totally natural sight picture.  The few times I have tried to shoot left handed have been dismas at best.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
Polk  I myself don't think it matters no matter how you shoot.  It is simply learning to do another task.  Hard parts will be getting over the weird feeling when you draw to your face and nothing seems to feel natural.  The aiming part will come pretty naturally, it is the mechanics that are weird.  

Drop down REALLY light for a little while to develop a technique first.  Consider making a junk bow out of leftovers at home just to be able to develop an anchor and draw routine that feels natural.
ChuckC

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Im gona give the switch a try, Ive been shooting right handed for so long  I hope I don't release the bow instead of the string.  :goldtooth:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
I have a 38# Horne Brush Bow, the original version that I made for my wife when working for Mark many moons ago.  It is left handed.  A buddy is sending me a 48 pound LH bow.  I know that loading the arrow is pretty funky!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
I have always thought about this.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division