3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arkansas Hunting?  (Read 337 times)

Offline JGoemaat

• Trad Bowhunter
Arkansas Hunting?
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
Any of you guys do any hunting in AR. Each year a pal and I like to try and hunt someplace new.  I see in AR you can get a NR license at a price you can still afford arrows.  Can you find places to find good populations for deer and turkey?  The biggest part of our trips is having a good time and carrying a stickbow. Any info would be appreciated.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arkansas Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
When I lived there (Vilonia, AR) Wattensaw was a good bow only area near Stuttgart, AR.  It had primitive camp areas and lot of good bucks, maybe someone will chime in on it.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
The dept wildlife site for AR. Is pretty informative. I have considered this also. Might be worth a look.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
If anyone wants to hunt public land in AR I'd be happy to hunt with you.  All of my hunting here is on public land.

Wattensaw is covered with hunters.  It just opened a few weeks ago.  It has been closed since before hunting season due to high water.  Lots of hunters.

I just got back from hunting a different piece of public land.  Thousands of acres and never saw another soul in 5 days.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
A few years ago, I was working in Tulsa, OK and drove over to a WMA near Russelville, AR to spend a long weekend in the woods and try to tag a bear. It had been very, very dry and I was scouting/hunting all at the same time. I saw several deer and some turkeys, but no bear. Dry conditions made stalking all but impossible so I tired to find water to set up an ambush. The map I was using showed several water holes that when I hiked to them, were dried up. Some of the local folks told me the bear were "down low" on private land, near water.
Beautiful country and the folks I ran into were very nice. If I had more time and/or the opportunity to go back, I may have ran across some bear, but it was a great trip! Any time spent in the woods with my bow is a great time!! The licenses are extremely reasonable and I wouldn't mind going back that way someday when I could spend more time. Definitely worth looking into-Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I live in NE Arkansas and as a rule there are good numbers of deer all over the state and most of the state has good turkey hunting.  It depends on if you are looking for room to roam or little spots to get to easily.  Arkansas has many public areas that hold good number of deer and turkey. Almost all of the NW Arkansas makes up the Ozark National Forest. There terrain is Moderatley rugged to ridiculous.  But there are some good opportunities.  As well as there are several black bear.  I would be more than happy to share as much info as I can with you but Im short on time.  PM me your number and we can talk more if you like.  Good luck.

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Try the lake Degray public hunting area.I see plenty of deer around the lake.Also the Ouachita national forest between Hot Springs and Mt Ida,Ray Charles killed 4 deer there this year already,

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Heck everyone in arkansas is trying to find a spot in your neck of the woods.lol sent ya a pm.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
I'd like to bring this up again, I'm thinking of making some trips to the southern half, where things are flatter LOL. And I'm coming from S. La.  Just looking to branch out and enjoy different scenery sometimes.

Do some of the WMA's in the bottom half come to mind that I should investigate? This is for deer/bow only. Extra points for access via water via canoes/pirogues. Roaming/elbow room is always good too.

Thx!
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Felthsenaw (spelling) maybe?  Down near Monticello?  I kicked around on it some maybe ten or fifteen years ago in school.  Haven't been back though.  There are some public lands around, but not as much as up in the Ozarks or Ouchitas.  Lotta deer though.
Silence is golden.

Offline R. Graddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
I'm woiht hill boy on this one.  Most people I know are trying to hunt where you are.  There are a lot of WMA's and NWR's to hunt on.    :thumbsup:  Click on link below:

http://www.agfc.com/resources/Pages/ResourcesMaps.aspx

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
There are lots of WMA's in south Arkansas and all of them have good deer numbers. Lots of hogs also.
bolong

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
I hunt all over the state.  There are pretty good opportunities for deer and turkey (if we are allowed to hunt them this year) along with black bear.  IF you would like some info, shoot me a PM.  Maybe we could get together on a hunt.
God Bless,
John
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
Looks like some interest and nice offers generating here, thx so far.

My recent interest is coming from two trips I made lately to ride my small dual sport motorcycle all over the state. I hauled it on back of 4runner, then unloaded and rode multiple times. Did extended gravel/dirt rides around Lake Degray, Norman, Mountain View, Russellville/Clarksville. Saw lots of deer, and covered lots of NF. I purposely chose the more mountainous/hilly areas with maps/gps, but not too sure I would hunt those, LOL. Some of those hills/hollers were crazy steep for foot travel.
I was very impressed with the state in general, the outdoors are well kept up, certainly all the public lands I saw. But I need to probably hunt the southern lower half, so I can make the drive on weekends.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline R. Graddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Mark be sure to lock your stuff up while hunting public land.  There seem to be a lot of thieves and some folks do not like to see out of state tags.  Not me of course...but I have seen trucks with out of state license with 4 flat tires in parking areas.  Good luck and Happy hunting!!!

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Yeah, Mark, try Felsenthall. It's near Crossett, has nice camping facilities in a couple of locations.  It is the world's largest "green tree reservoir" and floods often in winter.  The Game and Fish have stocked bears there also.  Hunting is limited to permit holders so the sooner you contact 'em the better.  El Dorado is about 40 minutes from the northern end of the reserve.  Motels and what not are more available than in Crossett.
Stan

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
I rode out a bad lightening storm in Felsenthall years ago. Got caught out in all that and waded knee deep water back to the vehicle with blackpowder on me.  :scared:   Those were the days.  :campfire:  Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
What about the White River Area in NE AR?
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Anyone interested in hunting Arkansas let me know; have some great spots all over; would love to show some out-of-state hunters around my hunting state; I fill my tags every year; don't trophy hunt as I consider every deer a trophy; pm me and let's go huntin'........   :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Arkansaslongbow:
Anyone interested in hunting Arkansas let me know; have some great spots all over; would love to show some out-of-state hunters around my hunting state; I fill my tags every year; don't trophy hunt as I consider every deer a trophy; pm me and let's go huntin'........    :campfire:  
How about an in state person?
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©