3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AD Trad or Trad Lite for my setups?  (Read 352 times)

Offline George Metz

• Trad Bowhunter
AD Trad or Trad Lite for my setups?
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Only recently returned to archery after 14 year break. When I put my bow away for what today are unfathomable reasons carbon was a dirty word in traditional archery. Not traditional enough, meat damage from splinters, etc. Must have been bunk because a large percentage of the ethical hunters on this site use them exclusively today.

Would like to give them a try and the tapered AD shafts have caught my interest. However with my setups not sure if I can get away with one shaft. Toelke Classic Whip 62" 50#@27 and Hill Big Five 70" 60#@27. My Draw is 27".

Will one shaft, AD Trad or Tradlite, be useable in both? Seem to be around the edges per the charts.

Any help much appreciated.
"one's belief is not required to validate the truth."

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: AD Trad or Trad Lite for my setups?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
I shoot the AD hammerhead trad lites out of 5 different bows from 38#-57#. They work VERY well out of all of them. I draw to 28" and kept the arrows full length with 125gr tips, the carbon collars and the g-nock adapters that 3R sells.

I think these are the best design of arrows out there. I tried the bare shafting method, and I had similar results with all bows. Bare shafts impacted low and right for all bows with the lightest bow impacting closest to the center, but still low right. Once fletched up, they hit with authority, and fly true.

My only experience with AD's has been with the HammerHead Trad lites.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
If you're not drawing over 28" I think the Trad Lites are what you want.  I'm no expert on them, but I'm shooting the Lites out of a 52@28 center-cut recurve with the arrows cut to 30" and 250 grains up front.  The Hill is quite a bit heavier than the Toelke, but if the shelf is typical for that style of bow, I still think the Lites would work well.

You can buy them in half-dozen batches from Badger Arrow (and probably some other sponsers as well).  That's what I did, and have been buying and shooting them ever since.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Lites
The older I get the better I was

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
I use the Ad Traditionals with 360 up front. I picked the  traditionals instead of the lites simply because I wanted a heavier arrow
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
If you want one arrow for different bows, especially at different draw weights, the AD's are the way to go. I shoot the Lite's, Trad's, and Hammerheads from all my bow's, weight's ranging from 45# to 56@26, with Risers also cut different to center. I just change point weights to get the arrow weight I want. Which one you choose depends on how heavy an arrow you like, but I agree with Chris and Elk on the Lite's, they keep me around 10-11 gpp. I'm sure all our sponsor's that carry them are first class and can advise you over the phone. I only have experience with Ted Fry at Raptor Archery, I gave him a call and he set me up with just what I needed.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline George Metz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Failed to mention that want to keep arrow length to 28.5 bop. That was an important detail to leave out and probably tilts the equation in favor of the lites even more.
"one's belief is not required to validate the truth."

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
The Trad Lites will shoot fine from your bows.

Offline Drumstick63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Trad Lites.  Have shot them from low 40#s to low 60s.  Point weight doesn't seem to matter much either - from 125 to 250.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©