3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for those who have tooled leather  (Read 217 times)

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
? for those who have tooled leather
« on: December 20, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
for anyone who has tooled leather, what's the best way to do it? i tried it out and it didn't work at all. i tried it on a singe piece(it may have been too thin? ) and nothing showed up, just faintly, except the to that i hammered really hard and actually cut threw the leather some. i can go through trial and error, but figured i could save some time by asking here, because your all so nice. i think i need to double up the leather so it's thicker, like i did for the armguards and quiver i made, but i'm not sure. mabey it was to wet, or something, not sure. can anyone give me a good method, thanks ... Jay
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline stumpsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for those who have tooled leather
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
If you havn't already check out  www.leatherworker.net,  it's the Tradgang of leatherworking.  They have a ton of advise and everyone is respectful.
Semper Fidelis

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for those who have tooled leather
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
A lot depends on the type of leather & how it was tanned. Good side, bridle or butt will tool or emboss very well if it's vegetable tanned. However if it's chrome tanned you'll never get it to work well. The same with 'split' leather, it just doesn't tool well at all. Also you don't need the leather wet, just damp will do. I usually find that wiping it once ever 4 or 5 minutes with a damp sponge is plenty.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©