3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will This Arrow Kill a Deer  (Read 290 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Will This Arrow Kill a Deer
« on: December 20, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
OK... so I just sold my Robertson and the bow I was going to pick up after I paid my mortgage company this week has already been sold.  So I am taking my grandpa's Browning WASP recurve outta retirement and hunting her for the next couple of weeks... I took out a few different arrows and broadheads and the setup that shoots and tunes best is my Easton Epic carbons fletched with 3 5" feathers, standard nock and insert, and a 100 grain Montec CS bh.  The arrow just gets to 390-400 grs total weight and I can get my Montecs shaving sharp...

Coming out of a 50# WASP with a dacron string flemish that I made, at 20 yds will this arrow get the job done or is something heavier needed... basically, I don't want to buy anything else...

PS: after this season, the WASP is going into permanent retirement cause it has the very very beginnings of a crack in the top limb on the action side... core is solid though...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will This Arrow Kill a Deer
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
At the specs you note, it should as long as you do your part.  That isn't much differnent, other than the carbons, that many used 40 or so years ago and put a lot of meat on the table.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Stay off the shoulder blade and you'll be eating venison.

Just where is the crack?  Is it on the face or is it on the side, indicating possible delam?

Can you get some super glue into the crack???

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
It's on the light side but no doubt will kill a deer hit in the sweet spot.Brass inserts are cheap and an easy way to add 100gr.Better get som glue in that crack as LKH suggested.It could just be on the finish which wont effect it.I'm out of inserts or would send you some.Good luck
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
LKH Here's a pic... you can see the 'cracking' on the edge where the white line is on the right in the middle... that's the laminate coming apart.

God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
I'd definitely try and get some glue in there, preferably along with some sort of clamping if appropriate.  Kind of hard to tell, but I think you could do it.  

Is it definitely the glass delaminating or just the finish??

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
If the shot is placed properly the arrow is fine but as stated before it is a little light.  You generally want to keep your gpp around 10.  you should be using around a 500 grain arrow especially if the bow already has some damage.  Then again it may be fine but since I'm not an expert Iwould err on the side of safety, or get a second oppinion from someone who may know a little better than I do.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©