3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: All you black widow people.  (Read 1919 times)

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
All you black widow people.
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
To everyone who shoots a black widow, what do u really think of them.  I hear alot of hype about them.  Are they really worth the price tage?? What kind do u have and how does it shoot.  Im really interested in buying one but wanna here what people say about em.

Hunter Smith.

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: All you black widow people.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
only way you will ever truly know is own one made to your specs
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Just got one this fall.(had wanted one for years) Received it on a Friday and was hunting with it on that Sunday....it was that easy to shoot! Dropped it twice out of the tree that week and it still shot perfect. Killed a mature buck with it a week later.

I'm not gonna say it's the best bow out there as I haven't even come close to shooting them all, but it certainly is a well built and quality bow. I'm not the kinda guy to legitimize a purchase by saying it is good only cause I have one...but it's a good bow. I'm also not the kinda guy to be loyal to only one bow, but I won't be selling the Widow. I will own plenty of more bows but now after owning a Widow will always have one....Ryan

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
I don't own one now, but I've had two of them.  Only recurve that I've gotten good enough arrow flight off of the shelf to suit me, I always use a rest.  Both bows were easy for me to shoot accurately, were smooth drawing and pretty quiet.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
The only bow I had for 20 years.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
I had Black Widow recurves for 18 years,they are very dependable bows,tough as a nail,accurate and forgiving,fast too.Sayed that, they are not the best bow on the market but they stay with the top end bows,they worth what you pay for and i think not more expensive than most top bows.I always had MAII and then SAII and X.For me a must have bow but I repeat not the only one.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Well ive got it narrowed down.  Im giveing real serious thought to a black widow or another Hummingbird by Ben Graham.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Currently have a PL, also have a Griffin and Caribow Peregrin. The Griffin and Peregrin are easy to explain what I like about them. The PL is not the nicest looking, is about the same speed as the Griffin, not nearly as fast as the Peregrin. The thing is, it is so stable to shoot, the arrows come out so clean an nice. I tend to grab the Pl by far the most when I shoot.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
BW PSAII, smooth as silk and plenty fast.  

Killed my first trad deer (CA Pacific Hybrid) with it a few weeks ago and now am trying to get a few hogs and GA whitetails with it.

It is a hunting bow for me, beautiful and a work of art, but is a tool of my trade (so to speak).

I had always wanted one and when I dumped the compound, that was the only choice for me.  

Simple, but advanced.

Fast, yet smooth.

I love mine
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
Currently I am "widowless". Not due to any problems with the bow, but I was shooting their longbows and had to drop in weight due to an injury and didn't have the cash for a new one or find a trade in the weight I was needing. Widow are not much, if any more expensive than some of the other BIG names. There many other bows that shoot right with a Widow, but not too many that shoot better. I had my first Widow recurve for over 12 years and I shot it alot with no problems at all.

Quick story-I had a Caribou hunt scheduled for 2003 and I had sold my Widow and bought a matched pair of ***** ******, same length and within 1.5# of each other at my draw weight. Got them a year ahead of time, determined to get my first caribou with a longbow. Practiced religiously for over 10 months with these bows and never achieved the accuracy that I was looking for. Finally, I decided to take the muzzleloader on the hunt as I just couldn't get it all together. On a whim, I called Ken Beck and asked him if he know of a used l.h. Widow recurve somewhere that I might trade one or both of my ***** ****** for. He said no, but that I could borrow a bow from Widow for the cost of shipping. Killed two Caribou with it!
Not saying that other bowyers might not have done the same thing, but that is an example of the kind of folks you are dealing with. Good Luck! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
I have a PSA-X its one of my favorite bows I shoot it and my Morrisons almost everyday.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Well built,bullet proof, customer service is second to none that I have dealt with. They are very user friendly bows. IMHO, Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I like my Dye to shoot but have been shooting so many bows since the 80's, usually always a Widow. If my life depended on it, I would choose no other than a widow. Over the years, I only blew one up and I had a loaner in two days within a pound difference. I really want a PA because that was my first expensive traditional bow. It was a one piece MA before the SA came out in the early 90's
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
I currently have three of them...a PSA Graybark, a PSAX Kingwood, and a PSAX Osage.  They are durable, accurate, smooth, and built by people who have unquestionable integrity.  You can't go wrong with a Widow!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
I have a one piece PL V 62" 57@28.
I love it. It zings a heavy arrow like nobody's business, it's built like a tank by a company that made bows since 1957, and kept making traditional bows while everyone else was trying to cash in on the wheelie craze. That, my friend, is as Pinecone said: unquestionable integrity    :notworthy:      :clapper:

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
If you think a Widow may be something you want take one for a test drive...or buy a used one to help you make up your mind.  I've had my MA IV for about 6-7 years now and have told many guys that I'll never sell it...ever.  It's not pretty by no means as it's dipped in MossyOak Break-Up, but I can't ever imagine walking into the woods w/out it.  I'll hunt w/ other bows, but when I have a buck tag in my pocket this bow is in my hand.  It's hard to explain, but it feels more of extention of me than my other bow.

If you keep your eye open you can find an extra nice BW used in the $500 to $600 range.  When you do rest assured that you'll get your money back out of it when it comes time to sell.  They hold their value awesome.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline j.j.johnston

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
I have owned three PSA versions.  There are some faster, some lighter in hand, and some fancier.  They are solid performers, and I don't remember anybody complaining about the service.  They are expensive for sure but both of the bows I own now are more.  The PSA and PMAs are a bit heavy in hand for my taste, but no more so that other recurves.  I am sure that another Widow will be in my future.  Try some, shoot some, do a test drive whatever to get one in your hand.....Then decide.
60" Toelke Whistler 42@28
60” Toelke Chinook T/D 47@28
60" Toelke Whistler T/D 52@29
60” Toelke Whistler T/D 45@28

Offline John Kennedy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
I have owned and sold quite a few widows,as well as some others,widow bows are very consistant,the factory will work with you to give you what you are looking for,and stand behind their product 100%.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
I have a MA11 grey bark, and a SAX kingwood. Have shot other bows and always come back to the widows.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
Pretty much what everbody else has said. They came down to Alabama this year to the Howard Hill Shoot so i was able to shoot all there bows. I own a ACS, Morrison, Bear Paws Bow and sold another Morrison because i didnt like the Mini 14in riser. After shooting all there bows for 2 days and believe me i didnt need to buy another bow the PSA X osage kept calling my name.

With that being said i wasnt really in the market for another bow but let me tell you those guys were so dang nice i just couldnt say no and man am i glad i didnt. I got the PSA X osage with copperhead skins and you cant imagine how beautiful and well built this bow is. And it took me no time at all to get it tuned to where it was spitting bullets.

Just as soon as i get my divorce behind me and get back on my feet im for sure going to order another one. There bows and bob Morrisons bows and the ACS are the best shooting bows i have ever shot but that widow just feels bomb proof. Trust me and order that PSA X and i promise you will love it, and if not give me a call in a few months and i will take it off your hands.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©