3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grey ASAT camo  (Read 562 times)

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Grey ASAT camo
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
My favorite camo was the original grey base color ASAT camo. I have had mine for years but they are getting long in the tooth. Best stuff I ever saw for hunting.
Does anyone know where you can get the grey base color stuff these days, every place I see it for years now it has been the tan base color stuff.

Offline NumPls

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grey ASAT camo
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
I have been using the tan ASAT for several years and have been very favorably impressed with its performance - I have never seen the gray ASAT. I have recommended ASAT enthusiastically for years as well, and no one who has taken my recommendation has ever come back to me an reported that it has ever failed them.

Give the tan ASAT a thorough test; why reject it before you have tested it?

Ray

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
I've had birds land on my shoulder, elk look at me in the eye at 3 feet, deer at 10 feet. they take a good look, have no idea what I am and continue doing what they were doing. Don't discount the tan base color, it works. I have never seen they grey either.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
I will agree ASAT is one of the best I have a lot of camo and I love ASAT. I never seen the grey either. Give the tan a try if you cant find what you are looking for.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Drumstick63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I have a tan-based ASAT leafy suit and it works.  I have seen pictures of the gray-based ASAT but don't think it has been available for a number of years.  Maybe you could buy the tan-based ASAT and use some RIT dye to change it to gray-based???

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
I actually have a suit of the grey based ASAT camo from years ago.Bought it from Brigade Quartermasters out of Georgia.Dont think anyone makes it anymore.
I now use the tan based.I have a long sleeved t-shirt and cotton bdu pants as well as the leafy suit complete with hood.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »
Ferret...many years ago I gave my good friend Neal Wolf who lives in Glenrock a lightweight Gray based ASAT jacket. He still has it. The lines are more burgundy and black against a light gray background.

If I can find some pics in my photo album, I'll post it. This camo was given to me by Brigade Quartermasters because I planned on using it in northern Quebec for Caribou. It would have made the perfect camo for that northern environment.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 05:50:00 AM »
Curious to see it!! Love ASAT, many critters have been fooled by it.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Lil Red

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
Where's the best place to buy ASAT leafy?

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
The grey base pattern is the original color sold I believe. While the tan base is good the grey is even better in a woods enviroment, in a tree stand etc.
And I agree 100%, my experience with the grey ASAT is that animals look right at you and do not distinguish what the heck you are. Still hunting it is phenominal.

Offline granpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
One of my buddys loved the grey ASATI and wanted to know why they discontinued it so I asked a friend who was one of the original partners of ASAT and from he told me that the grey based version of ASAT was designed for law enforcement...

A

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
That may be right, I think as mentioned that I got mine also at Brigade Quartermasters.
Wish I could find some good hunting clothes made in it now.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
I killed my first deer wearing gray ASAT. I still have two sets of it but the pants are a little tight these days.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
I too still have a set of gray ASAT. It has held up well and I still wear it. I bought it from Brigade Quartermasters many years back.
I also like the tan based ASAT and have several longsleeved t-shirts and two sets of polar fleece.
They work very well.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
Joe I can see where the grey would work really well in the northern tier. I have som fall grey predator that works great. ASAT in a grey pattern would be similar to that I would imagine.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Remember Gray Mirage camo?  That is the picture I get when I think of ASAT in gray (which I've never seen).  The Mirage was pretty nice stuff too but didn't last long.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
Can you post a pic of that ASAT in Grey.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
ASAT came out with the tan and the grey at the same time. Then Brigade Quatermaster started pushing the grey as urban camo. Don't think it went over very well and they dropped it. I do remember seeing it in grey though they used to make their Wooley Pulley sweater in it, seems like that was the first year it came out.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
for me, the closes pattern to that old ASAT is Sticks 'N Limbs. I use this pattern in conjunction with ASAT pants when bowhunting early spring turkey here in NY and Elk out west....and also early season deer here..a few pics of my combo....

Elk in Wyoming.....

Same combo in North Dakota...

Early deer season...

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Here is a set of the old gray ASAT I have.Hope this link works.

Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©