3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Worst year ever  (Read 452 times)

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
Worst year ever
« on: December 21, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
My worst year ever started like this, About august I started to develop a sharp pain in my right shoulder about the point I would each my anchor point, it got moee painful as time went on I hunted New Hampshire but it was day to day if I could get a shot off, I got a few cortizone shots and it would help for a few days. Finally I had to take the defeat, I would have to hunt with a low poundage compound if I was to bowhunt, to say i was not happy would be a understatment. My season was highlighted by my 10yr old son taking his first deer with a bow on Oct, 12th. well on Oct, 22nd things went from bad to worse, climbing into my 22 ft stand that afternoon I found out a rodent of the tree dwelling kind had chewed the strap to the top section of my laddeer stick but did not know till I was on my way to the ground. I was hurt very bad dad came to get me hours in the ER and hospital cat scans, x rays blood brained from my chest cavity twice breathing machines. I was bed ridden for 2 weeks then with help physical therapy started lots of pain but helped. I still go to PT and they have worked on my right shoulder also, and doc has told me I could start shooting my grandfathers 40lb. recurve. This is what I missed, I pushed friends away and may have broken bridges with a man I look up to and who is my mentor in trad bowhunting cause of all this. I give a public apology to Dave Knipes, I have not got the nuts to even call or pm him, I feel ashamed. I was not happy bowhunting, I even took a doe despite all this before the fall but it was just filling the freezer no satisfaction. I count my blessings and thank god I'm still alive as my lungs were badly beat up and bleeding, I thank him for the time with my kids I still have. I feel stronger and more determined to hunt and shoot trad. I missed you all and most of all you Dave. God bless all of you this year. Chris Halsey

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Worst year ever
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
You'll be a better man for apologizing to Dave. Do it. A little humility is good for the soul once and awhile.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
I am very sorry to hear of your ordeal(s). I admire anyone with the guts to own up to wrong doings, apologize and ask for forgiveness especially in a public forum.
 I hope that the coming year will make up for this past one and with your new attitude/outlook it looks hopeful.
Thank you for sharing with us. I will make sure you are included in my prayers.

God bless,Mudd

PS Merry Christmas!! and a Happy New Year filled with blessings.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
First ease up on yourself. Know that the pain meds they were given you after the fall will effect your personality and behavior. This does not relieve you of responsibility for your behavior, but may give you a little insight into why you were not your usual self.

Rebuild the bridges. You may find less damage than you imagine. Sick friends get quite a bit of love and tolerance and you've been sick.

Order some prussic rope safety lines. No more falling. Your friends and family want you around.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by GrnMtnTradNut:
My season was highlighted by my 10yr old son taking his first deer with a bow on Oct, 12th.
Think about the good things. Use them to look forward. As shaun said rebuild the bridges it may not be as bad as you think.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
I am glad you are doing better and you will be around for another Christmas.  I am sure your family and friends are also happy about that.  From adversity we often learn the most.  One thing we can learn is what is really important in life.  Friends are one of those important things.  Make sure to get right on mending that bridge.  A good friend will know that when you are under significant stress with health an probably the loss of working along with it that us guys can get real cranky.

I like stick ladders because you get 4 or more tie in's that are all tied together so a failure on any but the top one will not cause a fall.  The ropes are great as is a lineman's belt.   I never had a tree rat take out any part of my climbing system, but I have lost a few seats.

As part of your therapy I suggest some tree rat hunting.  Because you shoulder is not all mended and to get the most out of the therapy I recommend a gun for maximum effectiveness.   :D
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Don't worry about regrets. Count your blessings and be a better person in 2010. This post shows that you are def. on the right path.

Best Wishes!

Tim

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear all the problems you've had since we've last spoke.  I'm sending you a pm.

-Mike

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Nothing to apologize for. When you're ready you can talk to me. You should know I am a hunter first Bro, as long as you use what you choose ethically, I don't judge anyone by their weapon of choice. Now get healthy and stop by when you can and we'll compare this years war wounds. Living up to a first year of three with the trad bow last year was a hard task up here regardless so don't be getting down.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Everyone makes mistakes every now and then, so don't beat yourself up about it. You have already taken two important steps in the right direction by recognizing and admitting you made mistakes. Sometimes pain and misery can open the door for us to do things we would not normally do. Best wishes on your recovery.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Wow.  Sort of makes my year pale in comparison.  By all means, apologize to your "Bud" and make things right.  Hopefully, the bridge can be repaired.  Also sorry to hear of your mishap.  Hope you heal well and very soon.

God bless.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
This is a good Christmas for both you and Dave.  May you have many good seasons together.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Chris you know you can always come down here to shoot whenever you like bud.Especially easier since you moved closer.Got plenty of room for stumps,and I got plenty of foam to kill too.Hopefully you're better than when we last talked.I need to get back over there anyways...you left some stuff in the quiver I need to get back to you.  :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Rich my knife didn't happen to be in there did it, I needed it a few times during muzzleloader season and had to use my dull backup.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Chris, I've never met you or Dave for that matter, but if your rift was you not hunting with Dave because you thought he wouldn't approve of your use of a compound, I don't think you gave him any credit. We're all bowhunters using the tools that work best for us. From the sounds of things, I'm suprised you two didn't share a hospital room at some point!   :bigsmyl:  Glad your both better! I'm going to bring a thread back to the top for you about lifelines.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
We have a saying with the youth I work with. Wouldve, couldve, shouldve, dont should on yourself, will make a mess. To dwell in the past is to dwell in depression, to dwell in the future is to dwell in anxiety, so focus on the present, cause that is what it is. Make amends, take care of yourself, and do the next right thing, everything else will work out. Sam.
samuel koger

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
i hope you can make the bunny hunt at Shawns, it would be a pleasure to hunt with you again. hope ya heal quick!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by GrnMtnTradNut:
Rich my knife didn't happen to be in there did it, I needed it a few times during muzzleloader season and had to use my dull backup.
Negative.Camo-compac and a black carabiner(not sure about spelling on that one).
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
Just get well, count your blessings and then you may find your other concerns are not so bad after all.  If they are, you seem to be well on your way to righting that.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©