3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schafer Silvertip Longbow  (Read 961 times)

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
Schafer Silvertip Longbow
« on: April 12, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
I have seen one post here about Schafer longbows. I and probably a few others would be interested in more information. My questions are:
-General impressions from shooting
  Handshock, noise level, grip feel, speed...
-Performance compared to the Schafer recurve
-Comparison / contrast to other longbows
-Specs on the bows used, FF or dacron,
  preferred shafts...
-Purchase price (new)

Feel free to add to the list, we will all be the wiser for it.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schafer Silvertip Longbow
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Use the search function and you will find multiple threads on Silvertips and lots of pictures.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
if you're a lefty there's one in the classifieds right now.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
eric, dave makes a fantastic recurve and the longbows are just as good. shoots very similar to the curve...smooth, stable, no handshock, and fast. my LB is also very, very quiet. more quiet than my ST recurve (as most LB's are). haven't shot alot of other LB's but i'd put the tip up w/ any of them.

as far as i know all the silvertip LB's can accomodate FF, although i use dacron. mine is 53# @ 26.5" and new i belive it was around $900 w/ ALL the bells and whistles.

an excellent bow and well kept secret IMO

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
Thanks Mike, what arrow / arrow weight does your seem to perform best with ?

Offline mighty mouse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
no problem eric. i draw around 27" and right now i'm using carbons. i'm using the beman ICS (28 1/4") in the 500 size and also have some of the beman classic's which are heavier but also are the 500's. i use weight tubes (3gpi) in the ICS's to get the weight close to the classics so they have similar cast. both weigh in around 9gpp (the classics are slightly lighter i believe) which gives me the best performance combo of speed AND penetration (real quiet too). real flat shooting and all pass-thru's!

dave's bows are very easy to tune and accept a wide range of arrow spines. i've shot the 400 size thru the bow w/ good results but the 500's are like darts.

Offline mighty mouse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
sorry for any confusion eric, i'm posting from my work computer now. oops, gotta go....here comes the boss!   hahaha!     but seriously, anything else i can help w/ let me know and i'm working on pic's!

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
Thanks, I was fortunate enough to buy a used 64" Schafer LB, 55#. I am eager to try it out.
Are you in Pleasantville in Westchester Co. or upstate ? I am a frequent visitor to the NY / NJ area, maybe we can get together to shoot a few ?

Offline mighty mouse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
eric, you'll love the bow. if you like shorter bows dave does make different lengths, not just the 64" and 66". i think he will do down to a 58". either way they are sweet shooters.....like all silvertips!

i'm in p'ville in westchester county. if you know you are going to be in the area let me know and i'll definitely get together and fling some arrows.

let me know how you like the bow!

mike

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Eric, Mike and I shot together not too long ago and while he wouldn't let his Schafer LB out of his grip long enough for me to try it (only kidding Mike) I can tell you that its everything Mike said it was. The bow was dead quiet and flat shooting.  Fred
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I am looking forward to trying the LB. The recurves are great and I have always liked the look and slim profile of a LB.

I have not made my travel plans yet, but will be in the NYC area the last week of April and possibly again in early May.

Years ago I bought a used BW recurve from a gentleman in your line of work, he too was from Westchester Co. A Lt. I believe, Frank C ?
Sound familiar ?

Offline shedhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
i think you need one fred..........  hehe

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Ron, You should only know......
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
??

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
good one fred! GREAT shootin w/ you guys but i do remember that i wasn't the only one who wouldn't let go of his silvertip!!  haha! and yes i second what ron said, you do need one.

eric, that guy doesn't ring a bell w/ me but there are a few LE guys who shoot trad. if you're around the last week in april maybe you can hook up w/ us at the whittingham shoot. if not i'm available anytime after may 7th.....keep us posted,     mike

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
Thanks, I will look forward to it. My company has a facility in Jersey City and I am there frequently. I will reach out when I know my schedule.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
I like his Longbow better than his curve...actually I like it better than Anyones Curve...but then, I"m a Longbow guy! :0)

They are great...

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Mike, Okay, okay...next time you can shot my "tip"...   What I may need is a new place to live if my wife finds out I've got a new Timberghost being shipped to me tomorrow and a Robertson Vision on order...LOL

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
fred, your secret is safe w/ us!  however, IF she does find out you can always stay w/ me. just make sure you bring the bows too!!   hahaaha!

Offline shedhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
fred,  it's not safe with me.......so i'd better see a Silver tip in my mail soon!!!!   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©