3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Re-using fletching  (Read 457 times)

Offline TRG 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re-using fletching
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
I recently picked up some aluminum arrows that have the fletching set too close to the nock for me. I'd like to remove and refletch using the same feathers. How would you suggest I do this in order to not damage the feathers and to remove any glue on the feather's base? Thanks.

Offline Rodsnapper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Re-using fletching
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
An alternative to that attempt would be to trim away enough of the rear fletching for clearance. I have never had good luck with reusing feathers. Good luck.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
I dont think you can successfully remove them for re use.

You could try it though. If they are unusable. Keep them. Maybe you could use them for a splice.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
You can try a razor blade and go slow. If the bond is really good, it may just cut the quill base.

You could also try a solvent to try and loosen the bond, Acetone, or fingernail polish remover. Try soaking a q-tip and rubbing along the base of the feather. Nothing to loose but time.

I have reused feathers, I hae wasting good things! Oh and they sell debonder solutions.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
You need to be careful and slow in removeing them.I reused some on some aluminum arrows that I used Duco on fletching them.They just didn't hold and kept falling off,so I just reglued them on with some fletch tite and that worked out just fine.

Offline Russ H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
I took the fletching off a dozen carbon shafts Saturday with a real sharp blade. They had been put on with fletching tape. About 75% of them were in excellent shape and I put them on some 2016 shafts and they came out good.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
One time I tried to dye the fletching that was already on the arrows, using Rit dye in what turned out to be water that was too hot because the fletches fell off. I was putting them nock down into a pan to soak. You could try that, and play with time and temperature, see if it happens to yours.

Offline Rob Fin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
If you buy feathers by the 100, they're fairly economical. Then you always have them when you need to refletch an arrow or two. I think it will be pretty hard to remove them.

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
I posted this thread last month:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=081057

Another thread got me to thinking I should post this in its own topic to share with everyone.

See this tool?
 http://flexcut.com/products/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1099&category_id=121  

I've been using this one tool, the #6, 5/16" sweep Falls Run "flex" tool for about 12 years now. I use this to strip fletching and it does such a good job, it can be almost always be re-used. It takes off fletching without cutting the rib, so that is what allows the fletching to be reused. It basically is cutting the glue junction between feather rib and shaft. With aluminum shafts, it strips it off clean as a whistle, all the glue residue comes off an once, too. And it work just as perfectly on wood shafts, too, allowing you to get the fletching off without gouging the wood---just takes a couple shafts worth of practice. With Duco, you just pick off the peices of dried glue from the feather rib and stripping it and you're ready to reuse it! This tool beats any fletching stripper on the market hands-down. You just flip it upside down with the "U" shape along the shaft and press forward. ZIIIP! The fletching comes off perfectly and reusable. The tool is small enough for any archery tackle box. It's very high quality and easily sharpened (though in 12 years, I've never had to sharpen it and it's still very sharp---these are made for wood carving, after all.) It fits the palm of your hand like this thing was made for stripping fletching and not woodcarving. This little tool has saved me a lot of money with fletching that I've been able to reuse. It also allows me to recover fletching from hopelessly broken arrows to reuse that, as well.

With this tool, if a feather comes loose at front or back, rather than try to glue it back down in that spot, I just zip the feather right off with this tool and glue the whole thing back on. Always works great.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
not worth the trouble, refletch them
Bob L

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
I reuse feathers all the time if they are still in good shape. Hate to break a woody with only a few shots on it and waste everything. Just use a sharp utility knife and slice it off, sand the base clean and reglue.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
your just kidding right?

Offline Roconman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
I do it all the time. You will probably ruin about half getting them off but the ones that come off in pretty good shape, put them in your fletching clamp and smooth them out with some 150 grit sand paper. Use a very sharp knife and take your time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©