3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who leaves their hanging stands out all season?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Acuna

• Trad Bowhunter
Who leaves their hanging stands out all season?
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Who leaves their hanging stands out all season?  And if so, what brand/model do you use?

Looking at adding a couple hanging stands to my arsenal next season and was wondering what you might recommend for season-long/year round use, which is what I would want to do (off season hogs).

Thanks and happy holidays!

Re: Who leaves their hanging stands out all season?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Don't leave out anything with a nylon strap that can be chewed--make sure it's a chain-on.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
I have left stands at bear baits for five years.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
I do, but usually don't mean to.  I own around 15 hang on type stands and it seems 1-4 of the them seem to always get left out by accident.  They usually need to be taken down in the summer as the Squirrels will chew away the seat and mess w/ the straps sometime.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I leave some out. I always check and or replace the straps come the next season though.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
I do...but I loosen chains....straps get taken down so critters don't gnaw through.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
I don't leave them out after hunting season.  Had a friend who used a stand he left up for several years.  Apparently the tree grew and either broke or weakened the chain that held it.  It broke, and he took a bad fall.  Broke some bones, but was able to get back to his truck and drive himself to the hospital.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Found one of my stands, three years after I had not hunted it.  Boy was I surprised.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
I left a favorite steel hang-on stand up for around eight years.(had to chang the straps a couple times) and then one opening morning I arrived at my tree to find that lightning had struck right below my treestand and it was hanging on the broken trunk about six feet above the ground upside down!
Now I will try to pull them every year. Both they and the trees will last better.

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
I used to leave them out for 2-3 years but now that I'm older the thought of falling from a bad stand scares me.I get them out every year an go over them with a fine tooth comb,at least if I fall it won't be from a broken stand...
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I leave most of my stands up year round. Because I hunt hogs all year and because I'm on private property. I check the straps pretty much every time I enter the stand, and the chains I check periodically as well. I will eventually go to all chain on stands, but as of yet I have not had anything eat any of my straps. Knock on wood, cause you never know when a squirrel will get vindictive. Better safe than dead, I always say.
                  Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline JJ1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
I always take mine down. I had one stolen one time so when I done hunting it goes with me

Offline Acuna

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Interesting.  I do have some stand locations where I would like to have a nice, low impact hang on stand and would like to have the stand up year round because I pursue pigs in the off season.

What do you recommend for this type of situation?

Also, I was thinking about using the screw in steps as opposed to sticks or ladders because they seemed more permanent.  What are your thoughts on that?

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
I pull mine every season.  I like to maintain them as new and safety check them each season.  Unless one is stolen, I shouldn't have to buy anymore the rest of my hunting career.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
pull mine every season. I like to maintain them as new and safety check them each season. Unless one is stolen, I shouldn't have to buy anymore the rest of my hunting career.
what he said

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
I don't leave mine up year round but it's up from Sept. thru Feb.

Couple years ago I picked up a clearance Gorilla chain on from Wal-Mart for something like 35 or 40 bucks. It was about this time of year too.

I've killed a couple deer out of it without any trouble. Only thing I've noticed is it's a little more work to hang than the strap on, but once it's up, it's solid.

If I were you I'd move the screw in steps a few inches once or twice every season so you know it has good fresh wood to grab hold of.

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Around here I wouldn't. There's a good enough chance it will disappear during the season. I wouldn't want to increase that chance by leaving it out the rest of the year.

Offline WndWker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I pull mine at the end of season,if not the coons and squirrels will tear the seats apart.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
I pull most, but always have a couple that don't get in every year.  I try to not let them stay out more than two years so I can touch up paint and do other work on them.  I only leave out ladders and chain on stands.  My chain on stands are LEM and baby gorilla stands.  Both will stand the test of time setting out.  Nothing much can happen to the LEM's other than the squirrels eating on the seat.  The gorillas can only rust.  I keep a good paint on them.  You can also use spray foam to fill the voids so water can't set in them.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
I leave my hang-on stand and stick ladder out all year long.Its set up about 2 miles in. My climber goes in the shed for the year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©