3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who leaves their hanging stands out all season?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who leaves their hanging stands out all season?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by BowMIke:
I left a favorite steel hang-on stand up for around eight years.(had to chang the straps a couple times) and then one opening morning I arrived at my tree to find that lightning had struck right below my treestand and it was hanging on the broken trunk about six feet above the ground upside down!
Now I will try to pull them every year. Both they and the trees will last better.
I had something similar.  I found a tree snapped off at the base and hung up on another tree with my stand about 6'off the ground.  A storm came through with high winds.  The base of the tree had an old long gone second branch.  The base had partly rotted out and the wind did it in.  I was glad I was not in it when it went down.  Now I check tree bases for this type thing.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
I hunt all public land, and around here if you leave it it's gone by next weekend.  I think some people walk around the woods looking for stands.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
I don't leave any of my stands.  I only have a climber and a hang on-both are lone wolf.  I can't afford to replace either, so I take them down after I'm done with them for the day.  

I also take down my one ground blind after season is out.  I've moved it a couple times this year yet.
>>>--------->

Offline Squint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
I leave mine in all year,I hunt public land,and years ago I had a couple stolen.Now,I only use inexpensive hangons $35-45 from Walmart or Dicks sporting.A good cable lock,and screw in tree steps that come out with me on the last hunt of the year.None stolen lately,I guess thieves dont carry their own steps.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
I only have about 6 hang ons. I leave them out for the season and then bring them in. I have replaced some of the straps with chains and feel better, plus they go up easier.
I would not leave screw in steps in the same spot for more then a couple months. The tree grows, the wood will rot around them. I don't feel it's safe. I have gone to mostly ladder sticks on my property and rapid rails for other places.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Acuna

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
I just wanted to say I really appreciate all the feedback and information.  Y'all have really given me some things to think about.

Offline Mike Manassa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
I have a couple of Rivers Edge chain on stands that I leave out all winter.I DO remove the climbing sticks from the trees that they are in..Mike

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
I have a couple 'chain on' stands made by a friend that I leave up year round on some remote access property that I have permission to hunt.  Have some ladder stands that I leave up too.  Been lucky so far that none have 'disappeared'.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
I leave my (one) hang-on stand out for the duration of archery season.  I usually move it once or twice as the deer's travel patterns change with the rut and post-rut.  I do a quick visual inspection on the straps every time I climb up, including the straps on my stick ladder.  It comes down and goes in the shed around the end of January.  My ladder stands stay up year round.

I think my hang-on stand is made by Ameristep.  Whatever brand cheap-o-mart carries.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline John Kennedy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
We put them up in early September, and take them down in January when season is over.We use stands with net seats so they won't be soaking wet if we hunt after a rain,plus they are more comfortable to sit in. Ours are on private property,so we don't have to worry about theft so much. We use those 20 ft sectional ladders to get off the ground,they are easier to put up than the ladder stands, and are pretty safe to climb.

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
better safe a thousand times than dead once:mark twain
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
I left 27 lock ons up for 5 years and all you have to do is loosen them up after the season and your good to go.

If you dont loosen them up you better bring some cable cutters or a sharp knife because they will get so tight you cant budge them.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Acuna

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
One other thing- I plan on using and hunting out of these stands year round, not just leave them out and only use them a couple of months a year. I dont know if that makes a difference.

Offline DeltaBowHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
CHain on's can be left but loosen them a notch the last time you hunt them. Also, if it has a removable seat pad, take it out with you. Other than that, shouldn't be a problem. If they have seat belt like straps, just be sure you carry an extra with you in case squirrels, etc chew them up. I would lossen them a bit also the last time you hunt.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
Listen up trad brothers !

Several years ago a friend left his hang on up all year long and climbed it in the dark the next year on opening day.... As soon as he flipped the seat down and started to strap in the wasps started stinging him and he fell. Wasps had built a nest under the seat during the summer it was left in the woods. Wasps will build in any of your exposed nooks, crannies, and hollow tubing so beware !

nocams  :scared:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
I do both.  I always pull stands on properties that I'm not entirely comfortable with - easy access, etc.  Some I leave up - yes I check the nylon straps  every time they get used and also during pre-season.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
i leave mine out always, they get moved each year or every couple of years. the varmints will chew up the seats but i haven't had any problems with them chewing the straps, yet. i have 2 big game hang ons, some cheep brand not sure the brand, and a gorilla XL. i like my gorilla XL the best, it has a big platform and is very comfortable. i do always check them over each year before i use them for safety reasons. as stated above the chain straps are animal proof but they make alot of noise moving and hanging up, i prefer the straps. if i wasn't so lazy i'd take in the seats after the season so they don't get ruined, but i always plan on going out at least one more time and then never do so the seats just sit there  :)
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline John Stockman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
I leave my hang on stands up year round because I basically hunt from them year round (damage control after our extended 6 month deer season ends).

I check belts, straps and chains each time I use one.

I use screw in steps and remove them and put them in fresh wood if needed.  (Some trees seem to have a chemical reaction to the metal steps and become loose).  On some fast growing trees (sycamore for example) I have to back out the steps frequently since the tree will grow around the steps.

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
I used to leave them up and just reposition them every year to keep the tree from growing around the chain.  Now, I've changed my style of hunting, and only use one stand (Loc On Limit).  I put it up and take it down every time I climb.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
I leave mine out but its family land . I do check them out every year before hunting them .
" Live long and prosper "

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©