3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sitka vs Under Armour vs APX  (Read 1345 times)

Sitka vs Under Armour vs APX
« on: December 21, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Could we hear from a few of you folks about the relative merits of these brands of the newer "tech" clothing? I read a lot about Sitka but not so much about the others which are, by the sound of it, comparable in type and perhaps lower in price than Sitka. Opinions?

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sitka vs Under Armour vs APX
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
I tried Under Armour and flat-out couldn't stand the stuff. Besides being smelly (synthetic material-type smell), I couldn't stand wearing something skin-tight. It also seemed to hold odors. Besides, it really didn't do much to keep me warm. I've found that good wool long underwear (Ulfrotte) do a much better job.

I ended up giving the UA to my son since it's the fad for teenage kids around here.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
I have some Sitka and some under armour gear. I like the most all my Sitka gear and some of the under armour I really like and some I don't. I have never tried the APX though so can't help there.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
I have looked at some of the new stuff out there and can't see where I would be better off with it. Good wicking longjohns{poly-pro} and wool seem to be the best for what I do.After that its just layering to what ever warmth I need.It seem that some of this new stuff isn't as silent as wool either. But to each his or her own. I guess I get stuck in a rut and don't want to change...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
This year i sat aside my Justin Charles wool longjohns to see what all the hype was about Armour cold gear.                          Bought the lighter stuff and i agree the skin tightness drove me nuts. I also found out that you don't wear the stuff under clothes when grinding or welding. I was grinding and burnt threw my coat. The "Plastic" cold gear melts into skin pretty fast. Ain't like i wasn't told by reading about it on here. The top now is looking for a body, not mine. The bottoms i was lucky enough to buy larger than i needed. So there not as tight. Everything  fyrfyter43 says is what i found out also. My wool won't stink. And for me the Cold gear is ok under jeans  around home and yard.But sitting or hunting give me my Justin Charles wool. Since my wife can't get near wool she has the 3.0 heavier Cold gear and she really loves it.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
UA cold gear doesnt wick sweat well for me or many others who I hunt and trap with.It does get foul after running a trapline or a long, long ADK hunt and hike.I think LL Bean wool lj's are a better option .Also surplus wool/poly blend is a fine undergarment for the price.No experience with the others.I have friends who really like the APX.

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
I am pretty happy that I got a full set of Sitka - and I'm even happier that I got it before the prices went up. If you can foot the bill, you wont regret it. I've been wearing it for 3 seasons and it's the only thing I've found that actually does dry very quickly when you sweat chasing elk.

On the other hand, my experience with UA is about the same as everyone elses. Talk about a "feecing of America", someone convinced me that wearing spandex was going to be a good thing. Turns out.... not so much.
Is it September yet?!

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
I agree with everyone else on the UA gear. I also had some of the 07 sitka and the stuff reaked bad too. Now I have merino wool, no more stink for me.  :)

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
I use under armour loose gear for my base layers.  I really like it, seems to work well.  I do notice that it holds scent, but I don't know if thats a good thing or bad thing.  If it holds the scent well it might help it from dissipating into the air?  Not sure, just speculating?

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Cabela's is  having a sale on Polartech base layers which are for wicking away moisture. They have them in light weight to thermal weight and for the price you can get several and if odor is a problem just wash  one each time you go out and have another ready to go. With the polartech and layering with wool I would think that it would be cost effective and warm. Here's the link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=email&rid=&indexId=cat604760&navAction=push&masterpathid=&n avCount=0&parentType=index&parentId=cat604760&id=0016690
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
I have only used wool sparingly in the past, but except for the obvious flare ups with fire, I will never wear non-synthetic in the hunting woods again.

I have been drenched too many times in "water-proof" stuff.  The Sitka dries so fast it is crazy.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I was an apparell buyer for an outdoor store and got to try out lots of high tech gear! UAs Baselayer is a good product comes in 3 weights, I did not like their Cold Gear though, always left me with a clammy feeling! UA product is pricey and overated but it sells! I found the best layering product was any of the Merino wool based products excellant!Smartwool is the most well known,great product but expensive! Two Companies Minus33 and Terramar, if you can find a dealer that sell their stuff, make excellant Merino wool goods for a lot  less money!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
I dislike UA for a base layer on any type of pack in hunt.  The stuff absolutely stinks after wearing it for a short time.  I still wear it sometimes if the weather is warm, but if it is cool enough, I much prefer a merino wool garment.  It wicks sweat better which prevents chills when you stop moving and does not stink like UA type gear.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Still looking for APX opinions....more about the outerwear in the other brands, too.

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
I started using UA my freshman year of college for hockey and loved it, and I still do for hunting.  But the shirts I wore for hockey, even after being washed about a hundred times still smell like they are fresh out of the hockey bag.  Naaaasssty!

Offline John Kennedy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Looks like most people that have replied feel the way I do about the UA compression stuff.I bought my first set at my normal size,tried it on and fely like a sausage. Sent it back for the next size up om both bottom and top, and I could wear it then. However, it is no where close to as good as warm as the military type polypropelyne stuff,so I don't wear it anymore.The bad experience I got with this stuff will keep me from buying anymore underarmour products.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
I was out in the cold stuff this week end for about 8 hours total. I had on merino wool with UA over that, insulated bibs, heavy wool sweater, pile jacket,two stocking caps, face mask, insulated boots of course. On my hands I had mechanics gloves with large choppers near by(did not use them). I stayed pertty warm. I couldn't walk too good, but rolled great!
I have a lot of experience in the cold serving in the Infantry in Alaska, and carrying mail on a walking route in Northern Mn. So far, the only sure way for me to stay warm in the really cold stuff is to keeping moving.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
Most of the new high-tech stuff has disappointed me. I've gone back to DuoFold. Light cotton inside, merino wool outside. Been wearing it since I was a kid.
Still cold? add a set of polypro expedition over it then add the usual layers. Sweater, bibs, watch cap etc. Works for me.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
i bought a couple of the APX archer's jackets when they first came out.  They were pre Sitka.  i like the fit because it isn't bulky and has a more compressed fit, and i can layer up under it.  i still have them.  i like the apx base layers for warm or hot weather.  They do a pretty good job of wicking moisture and are cheap compared to some of the others.  i tried under armour and i didn't like the fit.  i've switched over to sitka gear cause i like the durability, fit, and the camo pattern.
What size jacket do you wear?  i might could hook you up with an archers jacket.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Medium. That would be great--thanks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©