3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm beginning to wonder (added some pics of her)  (Read 1379 times)

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm beginning to wonder (added some pics of her)
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
Yep----those old gals are the WORST!!!
I had one on my propoerty that had an odd patch of fur on her rump, and she always had triplets. She was the dominant doe when I bought my house 4 summers ago. I hunted her 3 yrs. and never did get her----she ALWAYS knew where I was, wether I was on the ground or in a tree!!! The first 2 yrs. was with a compound and the 3rd. yr. was when I stated Trad. Then she was gone-----don't know if she finally succumbed or just wanted to get away from me!?  

Anyway, she sure taught me a few lessons about deer hunting that I have put to use since then!!

Keep at it Josh----- I've found that with Trad gear: the hunt is just as (if not more than)fullfilling than the harvest with other gear--IMO!

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
If it were easy, they'd call it harvesting.
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
They are smart for sure. This time of year when the leaves are off the trees those older does are likely the ones that will look right in your eyes and bust you! Small bucks never know you are around.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
Those old girls have some kind of sixth sense for sure. I've had them come close upwind, never look at me once, but stomp and snort and blow themselves and everything else out of the area. I don't know how they do it, but they do it really well!

Bucks get stupid during the rut, but mature does are on edge ALL the time. I managed to tag one last year and consider it my greatest kill to date. I made a great shot on a nice 8 point this year, but I called him in, he busted. Then I called him BACK and shot him...stupid buck. That would NEVER happen with a mature doe.

Hang in there Josh. Two years ago I ate tag soup, but I had a great time hunting with my son who ate the same. This year it came together for both of us. We had a blast! I wouldn't change a thing about either season. It is the hunt, not the kill. Though, I do like venison.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
Oh, it will happen.  Just a matter of time and you have no way of knowing when that time is going to be.  Sounds like you had a great year to me!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Can’t tell you how much time I put in on the buck no one could get close to or how much sleep he cost me. Finally narrowed in on where he had to be and got busted by the old girl, on my way. She ran downhill to my left and stopped within sight…did everything she could do to tempt me to follow, but always just out of bow range. I decided to play predator and followed her until I could drop off to the side, changed my approach back up the hill and finally saw him standing right in front of me, with his body straight away but his head turned backwards, facing me. By the time I figured out there was something wrong with the “stump” I thought I was staring at he slipped away. And, I’ll always remember that hunt every bit as much for that doe as I do for the buck. Them old girls are the definition of smart…I’m well-pleased every time I can get close to one. Rick.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Those old does are every bit as smart and wary as any big old buck! Sometimes I think that they are even smarter. If you stick an arrow in that old doe you have done something special! Keep at it bud, you'll take her sooner or later... if not this season it will give you another year to practice up and show her who the real predator is  :thumbsup:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline k. sisco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
Im not disagreeing with most guys on here but here is my take on hunting does.
Are they really harder to hunt? yes and no.
Yes because they usually are moving around in family groups,meaning more eyes and ears to fool.
But on the other hand no,they move around earlier and more often than an old buck.
Meaning alot more opportunities than a mature buck.
Just hang in there and shoot any mature doe,and then if the old HH doe gives you a shot take it.
I usually shoot 2 to 3 mature does a year for freezer meat and hunt hard for a nice buck.
Good luck and have fun.

Ken

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
patience grass hopper patience then drill the old girl
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline ronnyg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
Yea, it sounds like she got that big for a reason.  Some deer just have that extra set antennas working overtime.  I can certainly relate.

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
Josh,

Shoot the first one that gives you the opportunity. You have to get blood on the ground first. Then you can worry about a particular deer.

If you get that adult doe at 13-14 yards again, put her in the freezer. Horse Head will be back next year and you will be smarter and more confident. As Kenny said, an old doe is a tough target. They are every bit as difficult to take as a trophy buck. You are being schooled by an expert in that old girl.

Russ
Good advice right there........ switch things up a bit or try a little vanilla on the ground cover to divert her attention.    :campfire:

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
I harvested an old doe this year and I didn't realize how old until I chewed on the first steak I ate from her. Shoe leather, only the 2nd deer I ever shot that was nearly inedible. If you like to eat venison shoot one of the younger ones, she will still be there and you can continue to play the game. I would set up in a different spot for her next time as she will remember. It will happen!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
There's a 1-1/2 year old doe that travels alone where I hunt. I think she has ADHD because she can't stop moving long enough or walk a straight enough line for me to shoot!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Some Pictures of the old gal...notice the brisket on this one!

The time is off by 6-1/2 hours on this one...

I will get you one of these days.

I do have a friend that is going to try to get her before the years is over.  I'd love to know her true age.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Mature deer are always more difficult to take, but those old does don't get testosterone stupidity.  IMHO that makes them a great trophy.  BTW, I have had a few of them mess things up enough that getting them became more of an obsession than the local stud.  :banghead:
Molon labe

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
Maybe that game camera can answer a few questions. We used to call them real old does “dry does.” It seems to reason that the does she will mingle with are her own maternal group…but she don’t necessarily lay with them. These suspect does are usually either outside the other does, with a different vantage point, or blocking the door to a big buck…probably a non-participant when it comes to mating.

Anyhow, just always tossing around a theory for their particular behaviors. Can’t tell ‘til Spring comes whether or not any fawns will be nursing from her…video would be useful. Rick.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
I agree....what a great season of hunting!

As has been mentioned....might try moving your stand. While I don't think deer are "smart" per se I do think they do have great memories for certain things and the older they get the more memory they have to draw from.

Few years ago we had a doe like that on our farm and finally my partner had to shoot her during gun season to get her out of the way! She would bust you nearly every time regardless of wind and how long between sits in a specific stand.

These kind of chases are what make hunting great!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Like Kennym said move your stand a few yards.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
I agree with jcar315 - deer do have memories of terrain. I once played cat and mouse with some deer that bedded with their backs to a swamp; and then would walk out a fence row and look for danger in the oak/hickory woods (Me) so I found a place to hide where a shot was impossible; but observation was easy. I then cut off a bush that was at the edge of a plowed field they crossed before going into the woods. I cut the bush off ground level; and moved it 6 feet to the right; and stuck it in the ground.
 When those deer came out; the lead doe stared and stared and stared at the edge of the field. She didn't know what was different; but she knew something was.

I dug a hole in the middle of the day right next to the fence they walked down; and got a 6 yard shot on the buck in the bunch the next day.

I never did get that doe- but taking an old doe can really be the key to bucks and other deer coming into an area. The nervousness and caution that the does use- well it just makes other deer nervous; and they will avoid your hunting spot- even if your doing nothing discernible to them.

Deers teeth wear down; and then they starve; or succumb to disease - don't hesitate on a clean shot on her. Its hard to explain to others- when you have taken a doe- why your feeling so accomplished.... unless the others have been there too.
 I have been there and hunted those old does more than once and have taken them. Its hunting at its best.

Its not just whitetails either. I had a  muledeer doe with an ear cut halfway down the middle; that was coming into my pack animal feed. For 3 years she  had new fawns with her; and then none; and I tried to seek her out and take her. I would hunt her all fall ( much to the confusion of others- as I passed up bucks to try and get her) - and every winter; she would show up again eating my alfalfa.

I am waiting for her to show up again - but I think last years winter took her.

Does may not have a tangle of antlers to show off; but they can be till the end; just one bit smarter than a hunter.

Tip of the hat for trying !! And hopefully you will get your shot !

:thumbsup:      :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Ah, the old girls......who do you think teaches the bucks how to play the game......it ain't dad!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©