3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with knife handle design  (Read 338 times)

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with knife handle design
« on: December 22, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
I got a pair of Odel knifes from Helle.

Dad also ordered himself a Buffalo bow from Big Jim that will be here in a few days.  It is Cocobolo and Zebra.

I got some of each from Jim (many thanks for that).

The patterns will obviously be hard to match.  Does anyone have any ideas?  The cocobolo I have is beautiful with lots of dark markings, but I don't really see how I can match the somewhat plainer zebra to that without it looking "off".

I am going to do one to match my PSAII Graybark riser, I have some red, white, and black fiber scraps from the widow works for that, any inut on that one will be appreciated as well.

thanks guys, I may end up just doing a solid cocobolo handle for this project if I can't come up with something.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with knife handle design
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Here is the knife handle I made for a Helle blade.Rob Lee sent me the dropoff from my riser and I got some micarta the wood is a perfect match being the same piece of wood.I also made a t-allen wrench.file handle(not finished in pic).I drew a designs on paper with the blade profile til I liked one and did not use nut on top.I did it all with a hasp no sander only b/c I didn't have one.Kip

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Yours is the reason I wanted to copy the bow and not just make a nice handle out of something else!  Beautiful work.

I am not sure that the Zebra and Cocobolo will look as nice together, however I haven't yet seen the bow to know how to tie them together.  Yours look like they were made by the same craftsman!

thanks, that is a beautiful combo.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Zbearclaw,

You may have better luck with this question down on the Knife Forum.

Lots of experience and knowledge down there. Those guys will be more than willing to help you out.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Check out the threads on the Knife Forum.  There is a nice cocoblo and I can't remember the other wood handle on there that will give you ideas for what would give you a nice looking handle.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Some ideas for you

And don't worry about the zebrawood and cocobolo... it'll look good.  This is zebra and rosewood, but the cocobolo will be similar

>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
I always prefer a dark spacer, near the guard or close to the ricasso if no guard in place- and back that short spacer up with the more interesting wood.... so use the dark wood near the blade, in a smaller piece...aligning any grain in it WITH the flow of the knife but hopefully there's not much grain in that, then align the more grain apparent lighter wood with the flow of the blade behind that in the largest portion of the handle.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Great work guys.

My issue is that the zebra I have is about 1/8" or so, was thinking zebra lama on the sides of the solid block coco, bu the grain variation seems like it will be distracting.

I will start today and see what I can come up with.  I am not using a guard so the fit to blade at the junction is my biggest worry besides the look of the lams.

I do have a block of zebra shipped today, but no idea when that gets here.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »

here's a pair of hidden tang knives with no guard, at least not out of metal.  It's actually easier to fit a wood 'guard' than a metal one, then you just do the rest of the handle.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©