3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow shattered while shooting …  (Read 2017 times)

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow shattered while shooting …
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
That stinks, glad no one was hurt! I've had a riser shatter on the third arrow through it and the bowyer never hesitated to replace it and a new one came to my door in two weeks.  I'm sure they will replace it for you.
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline Pegg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Keep us informed and let us know.
If today was perfect, There would be no need for tomorrow

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Bet that sounded like a 38 going off! Don't feel bad - I had it happen to me with an expensive custom bow once.  If they replace it, all is well.
TommyBoy

Offline FubarFred

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
In the mid 80's I was a wheelie shooter. Had a upper limb delaminate on a Bear (I think) compound. Scared the bejeesus outa me. That was when a friend gave me a recurve...
Fred...
TGMM Family of the Bow
Traditional Bowhunters of MD
MD Bowhunters Society
Bowhunters of South Carolina
UDT/SEAL Association

Offline rugrat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Likewise, I was glad no one was injured. I've had nocks break and strings break, but never have I had a bow break!   :eek:   Scary stuff!

MD

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Glad you are not been injured,I heard about some issues on those bows,but they usually replace them.Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
Yup…You just can’t see beneath the surface with wood, there’s no way of documenting stresses upon the tree as it grew, and the point at which a tree or limb breaks is unpredictable. Plus, in manufacture, it would be a disadvantage to allow the moisture content of wood to drop to zero…so, much of risk is deferred to faith. Still, wood is my favorite medium…all warm and, preferably, not fuzzy.

It might be worth mentioning that there was a day when pistol grips and cutting sight windows were a break from convention and raised many eyebrows. I’d suspect that were it not for “I beam” construction in earlier models, many archers would not have been so willing to accept such an obviously questionable practice…and there would have been a detour in the road to the bow designs we use today.

Anyhow, good to hear the archer survived…another memorable experience, eh? It also lends credence to the number of times I’ve said that all bows have an unknown number of shots built in…something I started saying after a magnesium riser failed in my hands.

Hope you have a backup bow for the time being. Take Care, Rick.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
Chunks of wood are like people, no two the same. I've always found it amazing that "ALL" of our bows don't blow-up on the first shot. Grainy woods of all types, curves, angles, micro-thin glue lines, etc.. all under incredible amounts of stress.
I had a Hybrid LB from a Top-Notch Bowyer begin to come apart in the Riser after a few months. It may have blown-up on me at some point, but I caught it during my pre-shooting inspection. I always go over my bows after stringing, and not just checking to make sure the string loops are firmly in the grooves. I look the whole bow over, and run my fingers along the limb edges and Riser etc. This bow was a super grainy Bocote and I found an area where the glue joint was not smooth. Further inspection found other issues developing. Anyway, possible disaster was avoided and I recently received a replacement from the Bowyer.
Daniel was just sharing something of interest to the folks here. Thankfully he wasn't injured, and a reminder once in awhile that our gear is potentially dangerous to not just the game we pursue, but to ourselves is a good thing.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I've owned several different Samick bows, including the Red Stag I still have and use regularly; they are no different than any other, other than they make thousands of them a year and are bound to have failures.  A few months ago there were two broken bows from a very popular bowyer who visits these forums, and there has been many broken Bear, Pearson, Wing, Browning, etc.  It's not a reflection on the company, especially one that takes care of it's customers as well as they do.

Crap happens, as was mentioned above...the value of a company shows in it's willingness to take care of issues when they do happen.  This company is very reliable in such instances.  Actually, I'm surprised that more bows don't break; anything glued together with stresses applied like in a recurve bow, you would think it impossible for them to last a long time.  Mostly they do however, just like the thousands upon thousands of old Bear Kodiak Magnums and Grizzlys.  

It's so rare, as a matter of fact, that they show-up very seldom on these forums.  I would say all in all, bowyers and bow companies operate very effectively and all make fine, functional products.  Even if we like to show-off the one out of every couple thousand that doesn't make the grade 8^).

Offline rabbit_buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
samick has a 1 year warranty, and from my understanding they stand behind it 100%. glad you were not hurt, bows can be replaced.

soopernate that was some funny stuff i may have to go change my shorts now....

Offline Rufus 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
Glad you were not hurt. That would scare the heck out of me.  The worst thing that has happen to me was a nock breaking on release and that scared the crap out of me.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
I,m glad no one was hurt. I just posted this photo happened to me yesterday scared the jimminy jingles out of me.  

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
Stuff happens and it can be quite a shock at the time! Glad it is all working out.

Offline weezy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
That's scary. We can never be too carefull.Sooner or latter we all have close calls. Glad everyone is o.k.
TRADITIONAL ARCHERY
It's been in my blood for 40 plus  years.
It's priceless!

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
WOW  that made me tighten up.  Glad no one was hurt.  That tree must have had a bad year during the last round of global warming.  Maybe the Government will settle out of court.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Glad they're taking care of it, but more importantly glad you're okay.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
i know what its like for a bow to go bang!! sceard the hell out of me for sure .glad ya not hurt.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
I have had three top rated bows because of a bad batch of birdseye and curly maple wood. The bowyer immediatedly started working on replacement bows. It happens and as long as you were not hurt you were lucky. I had a bow that I took in trade at ETAR blow up at the handle and hit me in the head so that I needed nine stitches to close the would. It makes you nervous when you attempt top draw a bow again until you get comfortable with shooting again.

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
i have had that happen to me with a bow that had
lace wood lams and handle,broke after 6 arrows.
and it was glass backed,never use lace wood!

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
Glad you are okay..can happen to any bow out there.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©