3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spine question  (Read 126 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Spine question
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
I know that the shorter the arrow the stiffer and vice versa.

When I buy wood shafts that are say... 50/55# is this the spine of the full length shaft? I assume it is. Probably a duh question but none the less I don't know.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Spine question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
Wood shafts are spined at 26 inches.  Most spine testers use a 2 pound weight which is hung in the center of the shaft, which is centered and suspended on two points 26 inches apart.  The amount of deflection in the arrow shaft from the weight is converted to spine weight, which is shown on a scale on the tester.

The standard tester for carbon arrows uses a 1.96# weight and measures with the support posts 28 inches apart.  The results are almost identical.

Though measured at 26 inches for wood shafts, it's expressed as weight at 28 inches (which was sort of the standard draw length when this system was developed) and reported for the full length arrow shaft, which is usually 31 1/2 or 32 inches.   Shortening the shaft will not change the static spine, (what it measures on a spine tester), but it will change the dynamic spine (how it behaves when shot).

If your draw is less than 28 inches, you will want to reduce the spine of the arrow shafts you buy by about 5# for every inch you draw less than 28 inches.  Likewise, if your draw is longer than 28 inches, you will want to add 5# for every inch your draw is over 28 inches.  Other things like bow style, arrow weight, diameter, and tip weight, amount of bow centershot, type of string, etc. also affect the static spine you will need to get the appropriate dynamic spine to shoot well out of your bow.

If you've never purchased wood shafts before, talk to the vendor, and he/she will help you decide on the right spine to order.  Good luck.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spine question
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
I would definately reccomend Fletcher from The Feathered Shaft.  Great guy to work.  I was able to test arrows to get the correct spine for my bow.  I have a Robertson Primal Styk 53# @ 28".  The shaft that shot best with a 200gr tip was a 63# shaft.  He will definately point you in the right direction.  

Just a side note, he mailed me about 20 shafts of various legnths and spine to try.
Super Guy.
  :readit:    :thumbsup:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©