3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Well? How was your shooting this year?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Well? How was your shooting this year?
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Now that bow season is winding down for most, how was it? Your shooting, I mean. Every year I tell myself..."I'm going to work on perfect shooting this season"....well this year I did. I felt good the entire season, like I couldn't miss. I hope that doesn't sound like bragging, because I don't mean it to be. I just know that the effort I put forth this past summer seemed to have paid off.

One of the things I did....after a conversation with Fred Asbell about shooting gloves....was switch to a golf glove. He didn't recomend the golf glove, but he told me that the number one bad release issue he see's in his clinics was gloves lumping up down at the fingertips. The golf glove gave me the cleanest release I have ever had.

Oh well, I'm babbling....I just hope I can keep this going!   :bigsmyl:

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Well? How was your shooting this year?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
My shooting was good.  3 out of 4.  Missed one walking at 20yrds.  2 were walking @ 5yrds and the third walking @ 20yrds in the heart.  I really don't like doing the Maaaa.  I think it alerts them too much.  If they are walking at a good clip I'll try and stop them.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Footed Shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
My shooting was perfect  :)  1 arrow= 1 dead deer and the shot went off just like i wanted and hit her RIGHT where i was looking.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
Good for you Roger!!

I had a few ups and downs this year with my shooting, and I am determined to improve.  I started out this spring not very consistant, but as the summer progressed I was really shaping up.  I was slowing down the shot and working on my release.  As hunting season came to a close (no animals taken) I fell into some old bad habits again. I am shooting regularly in the house and will do so throughout the winter and by my spring hog hunt I am plannig on have the kinks worked out!

Good thread!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
Last winter, I put a target in the basement and shot all winter, working on form. It seemed to work, I started out better in the 3D season than I normally do. Come hunting season, I went 3 for 3 on game, 2 deer and a turkey. I just built a new frame and a new bag target, so I'm going to continue shooting, working on that elusive perfect form.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
After reading a few things in the shooting forum and talking to Terry and a couple of other helpful tradgangers, I can say I feel the same way as you Roger--Like I can't miss! Now I am working on the mental side a bit more now that my form has become repeatable and the outcome is good.

I shoot almost every evening in my basement after my two little ones are tucked in. Need to find a target with more longevity! It has been 5 years since I harvested anything with a longbow so I think that will be my focus for the upcoming year. I just picked up a John Maus autumn storm longbow and we have gotten off on the right foot  :)
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
"My shooting was perfect  1 arrow= 1 dead deer and the shot went off just like i wanted and hit her RIGHT where i was looking."

Thats the best feeling, isn't it? When you watch the arrow land exactly where you wanted it? I too, killed one deer with a bow this year, and it was just that perfect, slam dunk, 7yard, no worries shot.

Something else I did this year was shoot A LOT throughout the season.....often I find myself hunting more and shooting less...not this year.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
My shooting was very good, I just didn't get a shot at a whitetail buck. 8^).  I had one close several times, but never in the clear.  I'm confident in my shooting so I'm not concerned if I get a chance when our season comes back in the 26th.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Footed Shaft:
My shooting was perfect    :)    1 arrow= 1 dead deer and the shot went off just like i wanted and hit her RIGHT where i was looking.
Same for me.   :D  

Drew on one deer this year,and it's in my freezer as I type.  :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
After a horrendous season last year I really got serious about my shooting this year.  I read everything i could about shooting and tuning, tried a bunch of different bows and shot ALOT.  Fortunately it paid off.  I made a marginal shot on a javi which I lost, but everything else i killed cleanly: 1 whitetail, 1 hog and three kauai goats.  I'm happy with this years progress along the learning curve.
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Probably my best year ever shooting after attending Rod Jenkins clinic. Still haven't had a shot at a deer in 2 years and tomorrow will be my last hunt until next year.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
Was busy from July to September this year and didn't get to shoot as much as I would have liked. Also got a new bow later in the year than I would have liked and tried to make the switch. Only had one opportunity and it was a little long to be shooting but it was a clean miss (twice). Started teaching a NASP class at work in November and this seems to have helped my shooting.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
My shooting at shoots was great after I got my widow but I missed a 6pt @10 yrds hunting I was so bumbed out. My faultrushed the shot and forgot everything I no. Widow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Three for three on deer, one for one on turkeys. I've only shot at one rabbit so far, and it's in my freezer too.

We won't discuss squirrels.   "[dntthnk]"

Offline David Atkinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Had a prefict season so far zero shots zero misses .Hopefuly the last season i get a chance.  :pray:

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I shot great when I was practicing and did great on a tree rat but I didn't have any deer to shoot at so I have to work hard in late bow.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Four dead animals in Africa with 4 arrows.  Three pass throughs and one stuck in the offside shoulder on a gemsbok.  3 dead pigs and 1 Axis buck since then with 4 more arrows.  Thought I was hot as a pistol until last week.  Shot a nice 8 pt. whitetail a few inches back and did not recover it.  I tried very hard with help from one of the best trackers I know...decent blood and stayed on the trail for 400 yards maybe more.  Then it was like he got beamed up to space.  Sure did put me back in my place.  
I practice quite a bit but from time to time still forget to pick a spot and shoot an "area".  You would think I would outgrow this bad habit after all these years.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Good topic. One of my main goals is to get back to shooting like I use to. I like you, use to have confidence to the max years ago when I shot ALL the time but lately there seems to be too many other things that need done. I've bought a new bag target for the garage and plan on practicing form all winter long. I still went one for one on deer this year and practiced all during the season but I plan on working on my shooting intensely this year.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
I did not draw on a deer or an elk, but my shooting in general has gone up a few notches. I made a commitment to switch to 3 under & I cant believe how much better of a shot it has made me. My windage is now normally right on the money, it has made a lot of difference. Now I just need a deer to stand still this weekend, it would be a great ending to the year.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
6 for 8 on deer and 7 for 8 on pigs. Critters I missed I missed clean. Missed deer at 24 and 34 yards both a tad low and shot in front of a walking porker. And kinda like Jason on squirrels...they really can laugh you know.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©