3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon fiber in bows.  (Read 457 times)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon fiber in bows.
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
What good does carbon do in a longbow or recurve. Is their a legitimite speed difference, 5+ FPS,  is it smoother. Is it very design dependant?  I'm not being facetious.   (pretty sure I didn't spell that right)  I'm just interested.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon fiber in bows.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Carbon is lighter and as such, allows the bow limb to react faster.  All things being equal, a bow limb of zero weight (not possible) would give the best performance.  

It can be hard to work with and you should take precautions to reduce your intake of ground fiber.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Depends on who you ask, bow design, how it's applied, etc.

My favorite bowyer doesn't offer cabon on any of his current styles because he doesn't feel you gain much of anything, but it ups the cost (on his bows).  On a bow designed around carbon, you'll probably see a difference.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
I mostly shoot Hill-style longbows and have tried a couple with carbon. To me, it feels like the bow is a bit steeper on the force-draw curve and is a bit faster. For me, the extra speed (not sure how much, no chrony) isn't important enough to sacrifice the smoothness of a normal, bamboo limb.

YMMV,

Kevin
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
For my experience with a couple of bows that I have with Carbon, Bows are faster, feel lighter, a touch louder (but nothing I couldn't silence, but I don't feel they draw any less smoother than any other limb I've had. My Morrison longbow limbs and my Black Swan bows perform exceptionally well, is it the carbon, I can't say. But I can say it hasn't hurt.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
Tim Mullins (Acadian Woods Bows) uses carbon in some of his recurve limbs, not to add speed but for stability.
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Kevin you pretty muched gave me the answer I was looking for.  I'm looking at ordering another hill in the 80 to 90lb range next year in anticipation of an african or australian hunt for buff and figured if there was a substantial benefit in the speed department it might be worthwhile.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Fireball31,

If you are looking for a really heavy bow to shoot really heavy arrows, I think the old stand by of boo and glass would serve you well.  Can't imagine carbon doing anything for you with that combo.

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©