3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trail cam advice please  (Read 801 times)

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
Trail cam advice please
« on: December 23, 2009, 05:47:00 AM »
I'm looking for a high quality trail cam or two and need some advice on which one to buy. My first and biggest need in a camera is it has to be simple to use. If you have to go through a menu and set 50 things forget it. I'm an on button off button kinda guy.  Are there any good ones out there that are simple?

Thanks,

CJ
lll

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trail cam advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
CJ im the same exact way to technical and too many settings is not for me.  That said i used the bushnell trophy cam this year and i couldnt have been happier with the way it worked and the pics that it took, im going to buy two or three more between now and next season.  imho they are one of the best bang for the buck camera out there.  Good Luck!
Pete
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
I have 5 cuddeback cameras and they are great. One is 6 years old with no issues. I leave them out year round and they have taken THOUSANDS of pictures. I use flash models and have had no issues with deer being spooked. The battery life is good (never owned anything else to compare) and the picture quality is good.

The New Cuddeback maodel is about 200$ and is simple to use.great camera!

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
IMO the best I have used is the Scoutguard. Small easy to set up and around $200. It takes AA bateries and they generally last six months. Another is the the new Bushnell that is the size of a soda can. Unlike Bill I did not have good luck with the Cuddebacks. I would imagine that you will get lots of differing opinions on the quality of each camera but I prefer either the Scoutguard or Bushnell because of there size, picture quality and battery usage(cost). Some of the Cuddebacks and Moultries I have used go thru the D batteries like an old farm truck goes thru oil. There is a website that reviews and tests all the trail cams out there but I do not know it off hand.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Advice- We put some of the cameras up in the trees and point toward the ground across a trail or scrape area. They go less noticed by the deer and trespassers. If you don't care about time or date, then you will have less buttons to push. Cuddeback and I see the Multre infrared is on sale at Cabellas for $169. Cuddeback a few pushes it will read "Standby" and your ready to go. The Multree has an on off switch and one button push will get it to read "Auto" and you are ready to go. Mike

Offline WndWker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Another thumbs up for the Bushnell great little cam.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
That web site is chasingame.com. Make sure you only put one "g" in it.

After going through several models/brands with unsatisfactory results, I am totally pleased with my ScoutGuard.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Gray Wolf Woolens sells the Wolf Guard cams which are the same cam as the Scout Guard, DLC Covert models. Plus they are a sponsor.

http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php?cat=39

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
Bushnell, Scoutguard, and DLC Covert are basically the same camera. Small size, great battery life, and quality pictures.

Offline Missing Impossible

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
high quality = homebrews.  You can build em or buy a completed one.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
I have been using Coverts this fall.  Good camera.  The money you save on batteries more than makes up for the few extra dollars they cost.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
I would go with the Bushnell trophy as well. These are the same cameras as the Coverts and the Scout Guards.

Good luck.

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
The best, fastest and most reliable by far is the Cuddeback I have tried several others and so far nothing is anywhere close to a Cuddeback. I have 6 and have never had a single problem from any of them and two of them are 8 years old. This past summer I bought one of the new Cuddeback Captures and man you talk about simple I think a first grader can figure out how to use it without the instructions and the pics are great.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
I have a Bushnell Trophy cam  it works well ,, long batt life , but if you want a cheaper camera to try out the Moultre half price of bushnell and good pics as well just not as long of batt life as Bushnell   :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
I HAVE 2 Cuddebacks I bought at basspro for 200 bucks.pictures are great and its easy to use also.

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
I also have a Cuddy IR, very simple to use, and so far no problems. Note, this is my first season using one.
Conny

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Almost like acting Boxers or Briefs..   :eek:  

I have 4 diff brands of cams in my basement and like all for diff reasons, but if I had to pic only one it would be the DLC Cover $189.
Great day pics, great IR night pics, and battery life that's 2nd to none. 3000+ pics 8-AA

I have had Mounltrie (notice had) got rid of them.

I have a $400 Leaf River...great cam no problems..very simple to use and takes frame quality pics...4000+ pics 3-C and 4-D

DLC Covert..Love them.

Wild Game Innovations IR4.  Simple on off controls..no frills..2 week battery life..no more.  Day pics a little grainy..Night IR pics on par or better than the DLC.  I love these cams!  As they are $80-$90 and I can cover twice as much ground.  I can live w/ 2 week 1500 pic battery life of 4-C batteries..

With all that said...the DLC is my reccommeded choice.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
First, don't even think about getting a film model.  Digital is the ONLY way to go.

I've got a Digital Cam-Trakker which is really nice, though pricey.  

This year I added several Moultrie I-40's.  They were pretty inexpensive by comparison and I've been pleasantly satisfied with how they've worked this year.  Used from mid-to-late summer till now and they're only on their second set of batteries and have taken thousands of photos and video clips.

At least one of the most heavily-advertised cameras gets returned A LOT according to a brother who is in retail.  You might want to go in and befriend a retailer and find out which ones they get the most returns on and buy something else.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
I quit using store bought, and went to home brews.Yeticam boards and sony s600 cameras.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by doeboy:
I have 5 cuddeback cameras and they are great. One is 6 years old with no issues. I leave them out year round and they have taken THOUSANDS of pictures. I use flash models and have had no issues with deer being spooked. The battery life is good (never owned anything else to compare) and the picture quality is good.

The New Cuddeback maodel is about 200$ and is simple to use.great camera!
I have 1 cuddyback (2009 Capture IR) and will never buy another. It is a piece of junk and after several calls to the company (all of which ended with me listening to a recording telling me they were too busy and to call back later) I have decided it might make an OK duck decoy weight.

I have a Moultrie gamespy 200 that is the best cam I have ever used but they don't make them anymore.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©