3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brace Height Question  (Read 1365 times)

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Brace Height Question
« on: January 06, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
The recommend brace height for my Purist Peregrine is 7 1/4 in. As I understand the brace height is the distance from the handle to the string ? I was told to get my brace height and shoot. I'm Having trouble understanding this   :banghead:  

So once my bow is strung up brace height should be there and how can it be changed if my understanding is measurement from handle to bow string.

The bow arrived without the string attached, a nock and fur silencers. I strung it myself with the bow stringer provided. Do I need to move the nock and does the arrow go above or below the nock.
  :campfire:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace Height Question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Treeyelpr,  welcome to traditional archery.  I am not great with the written words so I hope someone will jump on here and give you a resonse that is easy to understand.  I would offer these two thoughts:  1. if you email me your phone # I will call you, answerer these questions and any others you may have; 2. find a mentor in your area who will spend a few hours with you, this would make the learning curve much shorter.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Arrow goes under the nock usually. Ya can changge the brace height by twisting the string in th eway it was twisted when made. If your brace is low by 1/2" twist it 4-5 twist and re-string,, it is best to do by leaving one end on the bow and unstringing and than twisting it. Ya may have to move he nock up or down depending on arrow flight. Usually 3/8ths above square is a good starting point. Shawn
Shawn

Offline MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
Any of you PA boys live close to Treeyelpr??

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
Shawn,
Once you get your brace height does it stay there. Or is it something you must do everytime you shoot.

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Treeyelper, what part of Pa. are you located ? I live near the Shippensburg -Carlise area and if you are close I could help answer your questions or pm your phone #.

Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Once your brace height is set it will stay as long as your string stays on the bow. Not to mean leave the bow braced but leave both loops on the bow so the string cannot untwist. A string keeper is designed for this and can be made easily or puchased pretty cheap.
Skeater who?

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
Bill,
I'm from the Pottsville area. Thanks for all the help guys   :campfire:

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Tree, it will stay as long as the string has been stretched in. New strings stretch some and ya have to check it from time to time. As long as it is not an all wood bow ya can leave it strung as long as ya like. Glass bows do not lose #age if left strung. I have a 67 Pearson Hunter that has been strung since new, other than t put on a new string and it has not lost a pound, 40 years. Ya can do a lot more damage stringing and unstring than leaving it strung, just do not leave it in a hot car or direct sun-light on a hot day and it will be fine. I leave all my bows strubg and hang them by the string on two nails or pegs. Shawn
Shawn

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
By the way, measure brace from the string to the deepest part of the grip in most cases, not just the handle.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Yelper - FYI - the string will also stretch when it gets warm out.  You shoot that a thousand times now and set it, come june it will be longer.  Another clue - your first shot after restringing a bow, even with a well set string, will not shoot exactly right.  If you string it up and have a lousy first shot, don't worry.  When you go hunting and string it up out of the truck, shoot a steel blunt into the ground at the truck.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Thanks bowdude  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©