3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bear up a tree  (Read 870 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
bear up a tree
« on: December 23, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Two questions that have been on my mind. 1. do you consider it ethical in regards to fair chase to shot a bear that is up a tree? and 2. where would you aim? I would assume the classic quatering away shot would not be available

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bear up a tree
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Am I in the same tree as the bear?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
you are on the ground if the bear comes up the tree after you then the heck with fair chase

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
I'm no expert on bear hunting so I'm interested in what others have to say, i did however shoot a bear in a tree once and I didn't then or now question the ethics of it.  The bear was climbing up the trunk which did provide a 1/4 away angle.  I got a pass thru and it was dead within 30 seconds or so.  It was a mature boar which i've since learned would qualify for P&Y if I wanted to enter it.  This was early in my bowhunting career and I was lucky to get the shot, but I feel like I'd take it again today.  Definately interested in what others think.

Dan
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
A little more background, I was on the ground and watched the bear go up the tree, then snuck in for the shot.
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Yes I would and won't think twice about it. But the likelyhood of it happening is slim unless you hunt behind dogs I'd guess.

CJ
lll

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Just this last season I made a stalk on a beautiful blonde and black bear.  I wasn't really sure of his size, and even after I moved to within 20 yards I wasn't sure.  He figured out I was there pretty quickly and started to move off and since I wasn't convinced he was a shooter, I "huffed" at him a few times and that sent him straight up the nearest tree.  I was able to walk right up to the tree and look him over pretty good.  2-3 years old and only about 150lbs. I chose not to shoot.
If he would have been a larger and older I would have.  I guess I can't see the difference in dogs running him up a tree or myself chasing him up there?
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
have never bear hunted, but you can have my opinion anyways  :)
#1.. as long as you alone chased it up the tree, or if it just was up a tree and you found it, or your in the tree and see it coming up your tree or another tree ..... Yes it's ethical
however going to a ranch or game farm and having assistance from other people or dogs to chase it up a tree.... No ( paying your money and picking out your buck or any animal and all your doing is pulling the trigger or string, isn't hunting or ethical in my opinion )( the exception is hunts for those that have special needs )
#2 aim for the vitals, if it's up a tree ...
your on the ground, you should have a quartering away shot
if your in another tree, you should have a broadside shot
if he's coming up your tree, forget ethical... it's him or you  :)
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
If you hunt anything, you hunt animals where they roam - deer, fish, coyotes, bears, etc.  Bears will roam into a tree.  

And if your concern is they ran there in duress, than that would infer we would not hunt any animals that are feeling hunting pressure and are fleeing in any manner.  Of course hunters do that all the time and use it to our advantage at times.

On the shot placement question, the quartering away isn't the only ethical shot so I would assume you would choose the best shot angle you have and do your best or pass.

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
sounds like we're reaching consensus here.  Anybody else done it,  how'd it go?

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
I never thought I would like hunting with dogs whether it be for pheasants, hogs or mountain lion. Then I tried hog hunting with dogs down in florida and i really liked it. These were bay dogs and you work as a team with the dog which does most of the work. This past year I went pheasant hunting with a brittany and loved that too. It wasa blast watchingthe dog work and find the pheasants and getting them to flush. For bear hunting I want to do spot and stalk but i see nothing wrong with hunting bears over bait or with dogs where legal.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Shoot 'em in the trees !  Got my first bear out of a tree almost 25 years ago (other gear), and don't see any problem with it.

Having said that, I don't think I'd shoot an elephant out of a tree.  Just wouldn't feel right.    ;)
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Yes I would.  Wether hound hunting or just seeing them in a tree dur to their tendency to climb them.  Here in Washington State we have no shortage of bears and in many places to many and they become a nuisance. For bear, if it is legal in the state, then I don't have a problem doing it.  

Here in Washington the do gooders foolishly banned dog hunting for bears, now fish and game are trying to reimpliment it on limited scale to get rid of far to many problem animals.  So in my state, I am not likely to shoot a bear in a tree.  If I was hunting in Idaho, I would most definately use dogs, and shoot one in a tree.  

This type of hunting allows you to pick and choose.  You can avoid females, young / imature bears, etc...  It allows you to tree multiple animals and pick out an old boar.  This allows the population to stay healthy.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
I don't have any problem with the ethics of shooting a treed bear. Consider that if it were treed by dogs, you likely had already decided to hunt with dogs, and if you treed it yourself, you da man!  :notworthy:
Molon labe

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
:biglaugh:   at lost arrow!
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Never been bear hunting. No season here & most Texans (me) don't dwell on the opportunity. Doubtful I'd ever shoot anything treed. Fair chase Grizz would be an ultimate hunt.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
I would think if no branches were in the way you would have a great quartering shot. As for fair chase, how did it get in the tree? I use dogs to hunt birds so I don't think it would be any different if they treed a bear or raccoon.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Thats how I hunt them and without dogs Killed one as he was comin down bot 10 yds away shoot just before he got to ground
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
The only time I shot a bear in a tree it was with a rifle, but I agree with lt-m-grow, that is where I found it, so it was fair. It was a dead tree and it was pulling off slabs of bark to get the bugs underneath. I have seen other bears doing that since then too.
BTW, the sausage tasted same as the ones I have killed on the ground.  ;)

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
My son's buddy from Montana had a Griz pull him out of a tree and chew him up pretty bad. If they go after you when treed, I will go after them treed. Turn about is fair play.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©