3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Make the shot vs. Yardage  (Read 1676 times)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Make the shot vs. Yardage
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I have three distinct distances: To Far,  close enough, and OH ****!!, I can hear it breathing.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
I use yardage because I gap shoot. I know my hold-on distance is 33 yards. I have never taken that long of a shot, but it is my reference point. From that distance I use the gap to manipulate where my shots are. It works for me very well!
Mike Davenport

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
I always do a mental note of the percieved yardage. I never consciously use it as I shoot off the sight picture. I can't see how knowing the yardage can possibly cause misses?

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
I never worry about yardage.  If it feels right I shoot then I step off the yardage afterwards just like centaur said.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Being a gap shooter, I make an approximation of the yardage to my spot.
I have talked to a lot of people that tell me that yardage approximation fades after time into a sight picture that looks right.
Ken Thornhill

Offline split arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
When I started shooting trad I stopped counting yards practice let's you know what you can and can't hit.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
I can't judge distance to save my butt so I just look at the target and decide weather I can hit it.  

That being said after pacing off where deer have been after they leave I realize they were much closer than thought.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
If it don't feel right I won't shoot. Some days feel better than others.

Offline thefirehuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
I too no longer estimate yardage. Anything twenty yards or under i am confident. Its just waiting for the opportunity and point and shoot. Although i can shoot pretty well further. I can visualize the the hit at this range. Almost a dead zone if anything steps in and i am not spotted or winded its all over. I passed on some outside the zone and been rewarded w three for three inside the zone. I am more confident w the recurve than i ever was with wheels and sights provided i am hunting in the zone not shooting outside it.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Never think about yardage, I just know that for the most part I'm good to about 20 to 25 yards if everything is perfect.  Not saying I would take a 20 or 25 or even 10 yard shot everytime.  Sometimes it just doesn't feel right no matter the yardage.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline Dave McDaniel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
I never think of yardage if it feels right I turn it loose!

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
I never worry about yardage anymore! Its Great! I can "feel" it before the arrow leaves the string. My mind id the best rangefinder for me, plus it doesnt take batteries.   :bigsmyl:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
Don't really look at yardage my eye just knows when I can make the shot I like to go stumping and shoot at diffrent yardages to sight myself in I find that is the best way for me v/s looking for yardage
Gord

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
It took me a long, long time but now I understand what "become the arrow" means. Don't think about yardage before or during a shot (at both game and targets). My effective range when deer hunting is very close by choice. Targets have no limit.

Now... AFTER a shot when talking with friends I can't help but add estimated yardage to the story. More detail makes it interesting, I guess.

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
It's either you can or you can't I figured that out this season a buck came in  out in  front of me and in my head I diden't calculate yardage like I used to (this is my first year hunting trad) I just pulled picked a spot and shot I showed him the wood at 30 yds I later stepped it off it dident look that far when there was a deer their
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline Mike Manassa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
I decide if it's a shot I'm comfortable taking or not..I don't think about the yardage..Mike

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
I just look and figure if I can make it or not.  That can take a lot of things into account, such as how alert the critter is, lighting, etc.  But I don't think about it too much.  Just decide and shoot or not.  That being said, I do a lot of practice standing on a step ladder and I always take a judo shot or two before leaving the stand, so I actually shoot better from a stand than on the ground, it seems.  Weird.

I have never taken a shot past 9 of my paces, so about 18 or 20 yards, but I've passed several a lot closer than that for whatever reason.
Silence is golden.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
I've never owned a range finder. I don't think it would make much difference if I did. I pick a spot and if it looks right, I shoot. I have shot over some, thinking they were farther than they were. 15-25 yards seems to be my sweet spot, but I don't think much about it until after. As others have said, it makes it easier to tell the story in yards. Most others wouldn't know what just right means to me, so yardage helps explain it.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Hoser1268

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
I always think of yardage. All those years of compound bow shooting it is second nature.  I like to keep my shots at 20 yards and it. I know that if it is 20 and in I can make the shot. I think it starts to get hard to pick a spot further than that.  Just my personal opinion.
54" Morrison Cheyenne Longbow 42@26
54" Morrison Cheyenne Recurve 46@26
54" Rocky Mt. Recurve  52@28
50" Sierra Blanca Recurve 44@26
52" Sierra Blanca Recurve 50@26

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
I tried the range finder thing when I started shooting trad but figured out pretty quick that it didnt work. Now I just shoot when the shot feels right I dont practice at known distances and I dont hunt at known distances. When the animal is close enough and turned right and relaxed and I feel it is time to shoot the bow comes up the string comes back and when I reach the right spot on my face I let go and then ......
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©