3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: leather bow tip protector... build along  (Read 552 times)

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
leather bow tip protector... build along
« on: December 23, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
this is how to make a leather bow tip protector. i will post directions along with a few pics in each post. i have read that these make your bow louder when shooting, i haven't tested them to see if this is the case but i do know that they will provide protection from damage to your tips.
...things you will need...
1. sharpie marker, or a pen
2. a thin cardboard box, use a cereal, soda, or whatever you want box
3. piece of leather, i used a scrap piece from a deer hide. you could use any leather i would guess, but not something really hard or thick
4. thonging chisel, i bought one that has 4 edges, and i also took a small flathead screwdriver and ground it down to a sharp flat point
5. hammer, i have a wooden hammer but i'm sure a rubber hammer would work fine
6. glue, there are many types of glue that will work, just make sure it's something good
7. heavy braided wax thread
8. needle for sewing, i got a pack of them, you need one that will have an eyelet big enough to accept the thread we'll be using
9. an exacto knife or scissors, or both
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: leather bow tip protector... build along
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
step one, take your bow and maker/ pen and trace around it onto the piece of cardboard box. you want the total length to be at least 2 1/2 inces or more, and when you trace it don't go right along side it, leave yourself a gap

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
next cut out the template that you made and trace it onto the leather piece. if you want the soft/ fuzzy side out, trace onto the smooth side, if you want the smooth side out, trace onto the soft/ fuzzy side.  you will need 4 pieces so make sure you trace it 4 times.
cut the pieces out
then take 2 pieces and cut a slot into it

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
next take a SMALL amount of glue and put it around the edge. do NOT put it on the short flat side, that's where the bow tip will slide in, you knew this but i don't want you to glue the whole thing  :)

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
then glue one piece that has the slot and one that doesn't together, repeat with the other one also. you can put some books on it so they will set. give it some time to dry and be solid.
this is one after the glue has set, it doesn't take too long

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
the next thing you'll do is to punch/ hammer holes in it so you can sew it together. use the thonging tool or whatever to make holes spaced out and along the edge. do NOT put holes at the opening where the tip goes into, the same place you didn't put the glue earlier

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
after you have all the holes punched along the edge you can get your thread and start sewing it up. start at one of the corners and weave in and out all the way around. when you reach the other side don't tie it off just weave back through the other way so that the thread makes a solid line on both sides.

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
now is when you would dye it. the pieces i used were left over from something else i made that was already dyed. if you dye it before you'll have white colored edges and and it'll look lame. i fixed it by just coloring the edges with the black sharpe marker, i could have just dyed the edges but i was lazy.
just dye it after and get the edges and everything evenly coated, let it dry and then put a protection coat on it with super sheen. i put at least 2 coats of super sheen on my projects when i'm done.
after they are dyed, super sheened  and completely dry, your done.

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
if anyone has ?'s just ask or pm me and i'll try and help.
hope yours turn out well.... Jay

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
Sweet !!  Nicely Done.  Thanks
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
if a admin or moderator wishes to move this to the how to section or build along section they can. i saw i couldn't post it in the how to section, but i didn't see the build along section, sorry

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Very cool! I need to make a few of these here over the next few weeks, this is going to help!

Are they a snug fit on the tip?
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Mike Manassa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Very good instructions Jay..Going to try to make a couple...Thanks,Mike  :)

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking for something just like this!!!!
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Well done and a useful project for all.

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by BowHuntingFool:
Very cool! I need to make a few of these here over the next few weeks, this is going to help!

Are they a snug fit on the tip?
yes, well at least the 2 i made are. i would guess it just depends on how big you make them and the stitch that you make. if you make it too big it'll be loose. the 2 i made are real tight, it wasn't easy to get them one, especially the one that goes on the top of the bow, tihout the bow stringer i made i have no idea how i would have gotten that one on

Offline Cody Schnettgoecke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
Awesome build along!   :clapper:

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Dang good Jay!! You might as well go ahead and get a DBA.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Dang good Jay!! You might as well go ahead and get a DBA.
ok i'm dumb, what's a DBA ???

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the build along. It looks like something I can do. I do however have a question about your statement "especially the one that goes on the top of the bow" did you put one on both ends of your bow? I always thought that bow tip protectors were made just for the lower limb. Wouldn't putting one on the upper limb prevent you from stringing and unstringing your bow?
Thanks!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©