3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing, Braided line use  (Read 275 times)

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfishing, Braided line use
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
I was trying to figure out a new set up for bowfishing with a spincast reel and some of that newer spyder wire fishing line has anyone tryed it and will it work without tangling up at shot?what lb test would you use?   :confused:
Gord

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfishing, Braided line use
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gordon martiniuk:
I was trying to figure out a new set up for bowfishing with a spincast reel and some of that newer spyder wire fishing line has anyone tryed it and will it work without tangling up at shot?what lb test would you use?    :confused:  
I've never used is as that stuff will cut your fingers or hands clean off.  I use only spincast type reals and most all are filled w/ 200# Muzzy fast flight.  I've got a couple w/ the 150# Muzzy Tournament line.  Really like the 150 as the real will hold about 5-10 yards more.

Some of the guys on Bowfishingcountry.com use the PowerPro braided type line in like an 80# or something like that....never really tried it as I've never had problems w/ the ff and we shoot some really big Bigheads w/ it all the time.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I don't bow fish but I do a lot of surf fishing and freshwater the braided line is strong and the problem you will have is that a spin cast real uses to small pins when retrieving the line they are plastic and the braided line will slip off due to the way it is twisted together and may even wear a groove in the pins.Fireline would be a good alternative but you should fish with a few times to help soften it up.Good luck
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
I use the 200lb ff on my spincast but would love to try the 150lb LoweBow mentioned. I do know the 200lb will cut you like a razor also in my experience though. I've taken alot of folks bowfishing and always stress don't grab the line and pull! It only takes one time of doing that and you won't do it a second time.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
I use the 200# FF also. It is thinner and much tougher. All the guys I know use it.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Gord, where you going bowfishing now?   :p  Been a while since I've been bowfishing but I always used about 100@ braided line. Mostly the heavy line because of pulling arrows out of weeds and brush, and abrasion on scales.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
Gun have not talked to you for a long time , how are things , probably going after red suckers in the spring have a friend that has a spot , as you know it takes a while to get geared up as most things have to come from the States ,, I have a set up with a drum spool but it is slow to retreve and was thinking mabe to upgrade to reel,, If they laws wern't changed I would be at wabamum shooting pike at the discharges from power plant but with the rules you can't shoot jacks so suckers it is .. Merry Christmas Gordon  :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline LongBow'erman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
I used a Zebco 808 and 888 with 200lb. Brownell Fast flight with no problems.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
One of the best teams at Great Lakes Bowfishing Championship uses the PowerPro line on their reels. Works for them.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Gordon,

Thanks again for the great pics of your Kwik Stik.  I am about a year away from having my own, but now I have some good wood choice possibilities!

For what it's worth, I use the 200# Ever True Piranha I picked up on the St. Judes auction from our buddy Joe Skipp!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
I will get some 200lb ff type line ! thanks everyone  for your help! will call B.C.Y. in jan as I also need some more string supplys   :wavey:    ;)
Gord

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Just curious - anyone use the 400# FF stuff?

Offline Doug Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Haven't tried 400# FF in the bushbutton reels, but I kinda think it may not flow off that kind of reels very well.

Offline Maze

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
I've always used the 200# FF with good results. I havent tried the 400# FF. I guess I havent shot a fish big enough to worry about it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©