3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow limbs and metal riser :) oh ya  (Read 776 times)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow limbs and metal riser :) oh ya
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
gapmater - I can help you with that if you want.  The short limbs set up on your 25" Gold Medalist would give you a 69" bow.  Mike built my limbs at 40#@28" on a 19" riser.  I have a gold medalist risr also. The limbs draw 34#@28" on that riser.  I made a 67" string to use with the GM.  

I don't know what standard Mike and Jason will use for their limbs but you gain or lose about 1# per inch from the legend written on the limbs.  If 19" was the standard you would need 46#@28" to get 40# 25H 69".  I have shot my limbs on several 25" FITA risers.  To test the stability and accraucy I put them on my full FITA Brenardini Aladin with a AGF Safari sight, vee bar and long rod. 20 yds indoors I was knocking on 280 which is as good as I can shoot.

edit for correction - sorry that is a 66" string.  12/24/09 8:30 pm

rusty

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
That is pretty cool, Rusty.  Mike, I like the limbs on that bow.  I would like to shoot a bow like that one of these days.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Mostly just for visually effect   :)   I tried the longbow lmbs out on a Hoyt Game Master.  The surprise was mine,   While the bow looks a little Star Wars like, it shot very well.  I am using a springy rest.  I shot the bow with a pin sight, string walking, and instinctive.  Bow shot very well any style I tried.

with the Game Master you have to snug the limb bolts down.  So there is no adjustment for tiller or draw wieght.

rusty

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
this is great i have pinnacle2 and GM2 that could use some upraded limbs. the spigarelli really does get me thinking. this post is cool

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
Steve,

Give us a call in January and we'll hook ya up.

Mike
Mike Westvang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
i will mike  thanks steve

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
Trashwood, that's some great information, thank you much.

Mike, I'm thinking something like 66 inches. I will be contacting you for sure. I have been looking for something like this for some time. It is getting me excited actually.  :)  Talk with you soon. Don   :)
"Just passing through"

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 02:42:00 AM »
gap - I am not sure you will get a 66" bow with IFL longbow limbs and a 25" riser. that would mean you would have to have about 1.5" taken off each limb lenght.  that would be a 24" limb.  If you draw is 26 or 27 inches it might work.  if it is 28 to 29 or greater I am not real sure it would happen.  A 23" riser would give you 67" bow and a 21 would give you 65" bow with the short limbs.

here is a pic of my gold medalist when I was messing with it.  I had the limb bolts (limb butt trollies set at the minimum.  the 67 in string shown was about right. I took the bow out to the field range.  I started cranking the the limbs bolts to see if I could get a nice light traget arrow on the point into to the traget rings at 80 yds.  when you tighten down or losen the limb bolts you dan lose your BH.  It takes a bit of fiddling to get things set optimumal.  I like fiddling with the bows so it doesn't seem like a chore to me.  Looks like I neeed about a 5/8" longer string now.  

When you get the Dryad limbs bolted down a bit and working pretty hard they really come to life.  Looks like I am going to be 12 o'clock hiogh ion the 80 yd but a couple of rings in from the edge.

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 02:49:00 AM »
as you can see I get the limbs bolts tightend down pretty good.  well all i could tighten them down and still maintain my even tiller.  I didn't weigh them with a digi scale, just an old dial scale.  they were somewhere around 38 39 40 pounds,

rusty

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 03:22:00 AM »
Rusty, I see what your talking about and it makes sense. I'm not opposed to a longer bow at all. It sounds like these limbs shoot really well for you.I cannot tell from your pics, but do they have black glass? I have 3 Gold Medalist's so I guess you can see I like that riser. A good set of longbow limbs just sounds like plain fun to me. I saw a set of longbow limbs on a Quinn Stallion sometime back and I thought that was cool too. I'm like you in the fact that I like to tinker, so this sounds like alot of fun for me. I will be contacting mike for sure real soon right after the holiday to see if he can help me out. Keep in touch man, I'm interested in hearing more as you experiment. Thanks, Don
"Just passing through"

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »
Hey! you guys are havin just too much fun!   :)

Hmmm... I didn't ask my wife for anything in particular for Christmas.... yet!

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
Gap,

Rusty's limbs are bamboo with clear glass.  We are finishing up a set of heavier hunting limbs for him in the bamboo and black.

I thought I had a pic of the his limbs but everything is from the side as we shoot them.

Mike
Mike Westvang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
well then my question is on my 19" pinn. 2would i get the short ones sounds like they would come out at  64-65 inches? my ILF quest started with the GM riser trad tech 50#ers bolted on came out to a 70ish inch bow 70 + or - a pound what a .

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
Thats really neat...I'm not a metal riser fan but I think your set up could convert me...lol.!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Ron,

There are quite a few nice wood and glass or phenolic ILF risers available.  Our 15" will be ready in a couple of months.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
here is a front view of my Numboro Uno   :)   Dryad ILF longbow limbs.  I really like the natural camo of the clear glass/bamboo limbs.  

Some time we need to talk about the different limb fixtures and how to change them.  The topic may be outside the scope of topics allowed by TG, not sure.  Maybe we can get Connie to take some photos of the easy process to change the various limbs fixtures (Hoyt Game Masters, DAS/Dalaa, and ILF) and post them on a how to page on the Dryad web site.

Rusty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
can we see pretty please

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
It is legal to hunt pigs at night over bait in Texas.  I have got a honey hole that has a much bigger pig population than it can support.  Mike and I have lowered the population some but not near enough    :)   .  You have to be able to hit the pig ON THE SPOT because they are in really thick sutff.  My "tactical" rig is one of the rason I wanted the light draw longbow ILF limbs.  Over time we have found that if you take out sexually immature females you can better control the population.  Here is my "Tactical" with the Dryad ILF longbow limbs

Hawglite, SRF sight, String tracker and bracket.  The rig is a tack driver

rusty

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Hey great!!  Thanks Rusty for the pics of the limbs.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
That Evolution riser is just incredible - I love the lines in it.  I'm really looking forward to the ILF series, Mike - performance and Dryad go hand in hand, this will just add a new dimension to the equation.
Support the sport!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©