3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Green Mountain longbows  (Read 972 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Green Mountain longbows
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Can anyone give me info on these bows. Are they more like Howard Hill longbows or what would you compare them too. I've heard they were premium bows when Jim Duclos was making them. I have a chance to buy one for my older son, would love to hear what you know about them.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Green Mountain longbows
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
I have heard only great things.  I know a guy bought one a few months back down on L.I. that was about 60lbs. If it had been lighter I would have bought it my self.  I have never shot one but they are beautiful.

maybe Ron W. will chime in, I know he has one and likes it enough to keep it!  I wish Jim was still building them.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I have several friends who have them. I am not a longbow guy so I cannot answer your question about how they might compare to another brand. However, no one that I know that owns one is going to sell theirs. If you have a chance to get one consider it an investment, if nothing else. They are probably one of the best shooting longbows out there, Hill or otherwise.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Buy it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I have had 2 of them sold one. The one I still have Jim made for me in 96'. Reverse handel, Zebra wood riser,and native black cherry lams. Its mild R/D 62" 55# @ 30". Craftmanship is flawless and its as smooth as they come. If he was still make'n bows he would be my go to guy. As vermonster13 said......buy it and buy it now!!!You won't be sorry!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
I have one. The Stingray, which is the forward handle model. Love it! Great shooting bow. Its my only longbow and haven't shot any others, so I can't help you with a comparison.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
I should have said mine is a Catamount, the one I sold to my friend was a Stingray.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
I have a Green Mountain Classic longbow,it is a mild R/D bow.I ordered it from Jim right before he stopped making bows.It is a sweet shooter,and his work on the nocks,finish and down to the leather work was outstanding in my opinion.It is one of my keepers that I don't plan on selling or trading it.Mine has a cocobola riser with black cherry limbs,it just shoots so well for me,I've shot some of my best 3D scores with it.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
I have this one, not sure what model(any help?), can be shot either side. 66" 50#@28". And it is for sale too.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Does anyone recall the different models he had, I've heard about the Manta (think its the same as the Stingray), the Mountain Hunter (think that is his basic model), the Catamount (reverse handle), Anything else ?
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Post more pics...I haven't seen many of these bows.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline csimpson

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
Jim also offered the: Classic Longbow, Stalker and the Adirondack Flatbow.  Along with the models Longstick64 mentioned earlier.  This info is from a brochure I received in 1997.
At this time I have 3 LH Green Mtn. Longbows, 2 Classic Longbows and 1 Catamount. Great lookers and shooters.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dan Spiece

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
Just sold my Son's second longbow It was a 48#@ 28" Stingray. Brings back memories! I loved those day!
Jim Was a good man to us. My boy stared at that bow at The GLLI shoot all week=end oh well it was only money!

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »
I have about a dozen of Jim's bows even a horn nock one.  Like the rest said the craftsmanship is incredible and they are all sweet shooters.  He also used some very fancy wood and unusual combinations.  He is listed in the book...Traditional Byers of America by Bertalan.  

No, I don't sell any of them  :)  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »
One of my first longbows was a Green Mountain 'Traditional' model D-bow.  Cherry limbs, Cocobola riser.  Nice little bow, sold it because I needed the money.  I even had Jim take a picture of him and the bow after he made it, Still have that photo and the letters we exchanged for the order.  He was a fine bowyer.  Tried finding a used Stingray a few years back because a friend had one and I always liked those bows, but couldn't find one (Dan, I think you had the one I was looking for...those specs are perfect, lol).

If you like the more traditional longbow style and fine craftsmanship you'll like Green Mountains.

Merry Christmas!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Does anyone know if the classic and the Mountain Hunter are built on the same form and basic design?  I have a mountain hunter coming, bamboo and yew and  red cedar coming also.  There are no belly overlays ion the bows I have coming and straight grip.  They are not reverse handle.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Longstick,
 I've had 6 of Jim's bows, the Mountain Hunter and the Stingray models. My Stingray is 60", 69# @ 27 and is the most quiet, least handshock bow I've shot. Taken a bunch of game with it and like VTer won't ever part with it. I find the Mountain Hunters have a little hand shock but in my opinion the craftmanship on Jims' bows is unsurpassed. Sorry he's not making them any longer. Best, Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Jim puts magic in his limbs, wish I had a Lefty! Marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
i have a brochure at work. tomorrow i can tell you the difference as describe in the brochure.  

i have been looking for a 45# - 50# for years and haven't found one. i don't know how many jim sold but the fact i can't find one tells me people just keep them.

they were made in vermont so you gotta love them.    :)
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©