3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why the 59 Kodiak ?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
Why the 59 Kodiak ?
« on: December 23, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
For all of you Bear lover's .why is it that everyone is trying to find a 59 ? Is this year the best shooting kodiak ? Thank's for your input
    Troy Spear

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why the 59 Kodiak ?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
It may be the second best shooter, and waay the sexiest!!

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
I don't know... I am partial to the '57 Special... but I guess I have not shot the '59 so my opinion may not be worth a hill of beans  :)

I guess I'll have to get my hands on a '59 for comparison, it all in the name of Science... do you think that will work on the wife  :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
They are sweet bows...smooth as butter and quick as greased lightning.  They feel good in your hand, and they are one of the nicest looking recurves aver made.  Other than that, nothing special.

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
I'm trying to shoot as many as possible. You really cant get Ideal inless you own them for a while it seem like ??

Bjorn what is your first best?

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Do you have one George ?? Or still looking ?

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I just got a 57 from a fellow tradganger and was really surprized at the speed from such a skinny little bow. mine is 48# and has quickly become my favorite
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Look at the Kodiaks before 59. I am not saying they are not great shooters. But they all had that Michigan hard rock maple. No fancy wood. When 59 came and that Kodiak was introduced everyboby back then thought it was the cats meow. It was so much different than every Kodiak that came before it. The old timers remember it, and the lore stuck.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
I have a 59 that I thought I'd stolen on ****, but turned out to be a wall hanger.
 I've owned a 54 Compass Kodiak II and a 57 Kodiak Special. It's hard for me to believe that the 59 could shoot any better, but they are pretty.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
The 59s and 60s are nice......but my true love is the 62 Kodiak.....It was my first bow and I doubt that I'll ever find or shoot anything nicer.  Still, you gotta love the way the 59 looks and shoots....its the current price that gets me every time....considering what they went for back in the 60s.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
I love the 1955, 1957. Both bows came from Tradgang members and or sponsors, but there are a number of years between 1955 and 19691/2 that I would pick over some of the newer models.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
I'd like one myself to try sometime.Just not for what I've seen people ask for them.  :saywhat:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
I just wanted to know alittle more about them. I was fortune enought to pick one up. She is very pretty and pull's smooth. Im thinking of having her refinshed, What do you guy's think refinsh or old retro look wall hanger ? I know afew that refinsh's them . Who's is the Best. I.Y.O Thank's for your thought's and post's Troy Spear

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
The 59 Kodiak is one of the all time classic's. They are ultra smooth on the draw and really launch an arrow! They are slim and light in the hand. I just recently sold a 59 Kodiak and I have a gut feeling I'm going to regret letting it go.

I have several other vintage Kodiaks also, 1961,64 and 65. Starting in 61, the Kodiak got beefed up a bit more (limbs are wider/riser is beefer). The grip on my 61 fills my larger hands to a "T".

Got to love them vintage Bears!
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Isn't it funny that we live in a world that needs an answer now.  Don't have time to shoot one, tell me why it's so desired.  Well...you just can't.

The only way you will tell is to shoot one.  Also, you can get a reproduction model from Holcomb or Big River, and they are just as nice.
You just have to shoot one to know.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
Next year there will be a lot of guys trying to find a 1960 so they can hunt with a 50 year old bow.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
If you are going to use her in all types of weather you might want to give refinishing some consideration. Occasional use on blue bird days,keep an eye on the tips and have at it.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
First year of exotic woods in the riser, fine light narrow limbs, wonderful grip shape, shoot as well as any ever made, lovely overall lines... as George said, "Nothing much other than that."

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
It isn't time that keeps me from trying one out it is the fact that I don't know anyone around here that has one.  I wasn't the one to start this post but I've had the same interest recently.  If that lumps me in to the "Gotta know it Right Now" catagory, big deal.  A question was asked and most were genuinely contributing to the conversation.  
The closest I've come to shooting a vintage bow is my Dad's 1960 Herters recurve.  It is a tall bow at 68" and the riser is a true 24" long.  This 44#@28" bow is smoother than all the few traditional bows I've the opportunity to shoot.  But it doesn't look that much like a 59 Kodiak so I suspect it may not shoot the same.  One of these days if I ever get the chance to try out a 59 model I will get to see.  Until then, thank you fellas for filling in the gaps for this have to have it now baby boomer.

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
JL I seen the one you sold. That was a nice one . George your wise took your advise. Im going to shoot it instead of looking at it. Who's the Master of the refinsh ??  Anyone have an Opinon. If you dont want to drop a name please PM me Thank you Troy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©