3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Incredible two days of big bucks  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Incredible two days of big bucks
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
I just had two great days of big buck encounters. Our late season kicked in Monday morning so I can now hunt with my bow again. As most of you know, I'm pretty selective in what I shoot at. No buck tag punched yet this year. I've had a super season with lots of big bucks sighted, great video footage, passed up some that would make some people break out in a cold sweat and had close encounters with some real studs. Monday started slow. About 3pm I had a 140" class 4x4 step out of some cedars to bed down in a grassy area where the snow had melted about 125 yards from me. He laid there for a few minutes before jumping up. Four more bucks emerged right next to him. A December bachelor group of one forkie, two 2 1/2 year old 4x4s and a 150 class 5x5. The two biggest sparred a bit before they all walked back into the woods. It was a good show. At 4:30pm, a buck I named Chester (after the Gunsmoke dude) walked up the drainage to the south. He has one big antler on the left and a freak antler on the right. Very unique deer. When he looked like he was moving up the wrong drainage, I wheezed. He immediately looked at me, walked over to a tree and thrashed the overhead branch, then made a scrape that made the snow fly. I filmed it. When he finished, I wheezed again. He had to cross an old fence to get to me and showed his laziness and age by hesitating. About that time, a doe hoped the fence and walked right to me, passing me at 15 yards followed by her yearling not far behind. He then hopped the fence but paralleled her and walked past me at about 35 yards. Too far for this guy. I just rolled more film. Yesterday started slowly too. Not much movement in the morning. About noon I had to go into town. When I got back, I discovered a flat tire and had to go back in. Figured I better get it fixed before the holidays. It caused me to run way late. We had a big weather front rolling in and were supposed to have a rare east wind. I wanted to hunt a stand we call Ringside where Barry and I witnessed a wicked buck fight two years ago. I haven't sat Ringside but once in two years due to the rare east winds there. The stand sits on a hillside with a drainage header right in front of it that funnels deer movement. Several runs converge right there. The stand is in a giant heavily limbed red oak that needs a ten foot chain extension. When I got there at almost 3pm, I discovered the wind was out of the NE, not the east, which was bad news for one of the sidehill runs but fine for the others. A half hour later, several does walked downwind to the right of me and nailed me but luckily they just ran back down and didn't snort. A few minutes later I heard footsteps in the crunchy snow that turned out to be a very nice 5x5 buck that needed one more year. I passed him at 14 yards or so but got great video footage. He sniffed a tree for a couple seconds. I thought I was going to film him rubbing the tree but he changed his mind before moving off. As light started to dwindle, I saw moved in the cedars to my left. Out stepped and VERY massive old 5X4 buck. I had a hard time passing this buck up two years ago, and here he was two years older and even bigger. Incredible mass. His bases are like pop cans. His photo is on page 159 of my new book. He walked the run right to me but stopped at 16 or 17 yards, offering nothing but a frontal shot. Then a doe walked up the hill behind him and he did a 180 to follow her, again offering no shot. So close. As light began to fade, again I saw movement in the cedars. Out stepped Hurley, the same buck Barry was hunting over a half mile away in November. He is a grand old NT buck. He too did the slow walk right to me but for whatever reason stopped at the exact same spot on the trail at 16 or 17 yards and offered only a frontal shot. He stood there for what seemed like forever, not jumpy, just cautious. I really don't think he saw me nor smelled me, as I had good cover and a perfect wind. It kept getting darker by the minute. Finally shooting light passed and he still stood there until I could just see his form. About that time, what appeared to be a doe and yearling (one bigger body followed by a small body) walked up the hill behind me and eventually hit my vapor trail. She snorted once and it was all over. I climbed down and got out of there quietly. I really don't think he was spooked that bad so I'm anxious to see if we get a rare wind again starting this weekend. Time will tell. Anything from SE to NE will work. I'll see if my buddy Steve can post some pix for me. Stay tuned. Merry Christmas to one and all on this great site.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Incredible two days of big bucks
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
Great story... thanks for sharing an amazing sequence.  

Uh...I saw 2 does, two doe fawns, and two button bucks last evening.  It was a good time, but didn't carry quite the same thrill factor!!

Go get 'em, Gene.  Here's to East winds!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
Man do I love big bucks, that gets me all fired up, can't wait till next year. Love the snort wheeze, have had some very good success with that call. Sounds like one of those magical nights in the woods, love it, thanks for sharing.
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
Boy... I sure hope he doesn't get Hurly after I missed him. I'll never hear the end of it. 8^) BW

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing with us.
God bless and Merry Christmas
Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 02:29:00 AM »
Great action,  Thanks for sharing. Good Luck the rest of the late season.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 05:17:00 AM »
I think you're just afraid you're gonna mmmmmiss........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 05:28:00 AM »
Just love this "game"!  Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you also.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Happy Holidays!! Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing Gene. Keep us posted. Good luck!

Offline Lil Red

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 06:50:00 AM »
Nice to know other just come close to.

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 06:51:00 AM »
Good luck Gene, thanks for sharing your hunts.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
WoW, Gene, that sounds like an incredible evening of just plain old deer hunting fun. Thanks for making me feel like I was there with you....have a great Xmas and good luck this weekend.
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
Wow!  That is an incredible couple of days.  For most of us that many encounters with big boys would be a pretty incredible decade!
Sounds like your on 'em.  Good luckk closing the deal.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the pics.. Thanks for telling us the story. Getting close is just "fun"!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
Great story wish I had one to tell.Merry Christmas
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
Seems like Christmas came a couple days early! Congratulations on setting up for such great encounters.

I wish all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Barry- you mean just like Woody?

Offline Dave McDaniel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing Gene! Merry Christmas!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing...

With all the great footage, it`s just a matter of time before there is another great DVD similar to Primal Dreams...right?  :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©