3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Incredible two days of big bucks  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Incredible two days of big bucks
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
Thanks for the Story and Steve thanks for the pics!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Waiting for 'the rest of the story'.    :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
Thats why i love bowhunting,you never know what might happen.Great story gene and i hope you get that shot your looking for.Looking forward to seeing pics.  :thumbsup:
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
I always enjoy the great stories and Gene is one of the best tellers around.  Looking forward to hearing the rest and seeing the two brothers at the Kalamazoo show.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
My new hardback book, "Once Upon A Tine" is 350 pages of Wensel bowhunting stories. It's finally finished and is due to be sent to me via commercial trucking tomorrow morning (12/28). They couldn't tell me the exact delivery time here but I have the envelopes all addressed and I'll be mailing them out immediately when they get here. Thank you all for your patience in this delayed printing. Happy New Year to all. BW

Offline dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Hey, Barry, Love both you guys' writing and photos. Whose idea was the ad for Biggie hammock in the PBS magazine. Laughed myself silly
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
Can't wait to see the next movie!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Bob Dunn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Great stuff guys. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Hey Barry, I'm sure your book is going to be well worth the wait.  The both of you are so informative from all your experience combined that it is hard for some to comprehend.  Can't wait to get your book and to see you guys at the show in Michigan.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Gene and Barry. I haven't seen a live deer in December in Ontario. I will get copies of your books in Kzoo in January as long as the weather is okay to drive. 5hours. Take care and have a Happy New Year.  :archer:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Great story, thanks for sharing

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Gene,
Great story, keep us posted.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Lonnie bailey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
thats another amazing story
2012 Traditional World Champion MLB

Zipper SXT T/D longbow 60" 46# @28"
Zipper Zipstick longbow 60" 42# @28"

Offline Lonnie bailey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
thats another amazing story Gene, also kinda nice to read about someone else missing, sorry Barry. Have a happy new year.
2012 Traditional World Champion MLB

Zipper SXT T/D longbow 60" 46# @28"
Zipper Zipstick longbow 60" 42# @28"

Offline Tocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Incredible and depressing! Most in my home area wont let a 1.5 year old walk much less those bruisers.
Thanks for sharing the excitement of your hunt so vividly.Thank you to the gentlemen who posted the pictures!
Magnificent animals!

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I remember some years ago telling the boys that I was psyched to get out the next day or two here in Nebraska, because as I put it, I had the feeling that "today might be the day."

And one of the twins responded with, "EVERY day is the day in Iowa."  

Ha, there are some people you just can't take for granted, aren't there?   :)
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
Well, I pretty much called it a wrap for bucks this season as of yesterday afternoon. We are experiencing brutally cold temps with chill factors well below zero daily now, with not much relief in the forecast. I sat for two to three hours at a time before I felt what I suspected as being rigor mortis starting to set in. Between icy stands, drifting snow on top of what we already have, shelf ice crossing creeks, frigid temps, lots of bucks shedding their antlers, lots of standing corn, frozen trail cameras and camcorders, fogging optics, hard to start vehicles, etc. it kind of took a bit of the fun out of it for me. Its been a very memorable season with lots of fun, many close encounters, some very nice bucks passed up, great camcorder footage and trail camera photos. I'm already looking forward to October 2010. Plus I still have several doe tags left to put some meat in the freezer when and if this cold spell passes next week. I picked up another fresh shed five point antler the day after Christmas. The buck had kicked it off rather than waiting for it to shed normally. Almost an inch of his skull plate came off with the antler. According to sightings and trail cam pics, I would say about 30% of our bucks already shed at least one antler by New Years....even year and a half old bucks. They seem to be shedding much earlier than they used to only a decade or so ago, I suspect due to stress from the cold compounded by better sex ratios and age structure in the herds with lots of competition among bucks. I did pass up another really nice buck day before yesterday. I had a hard time letting him walk past me at fifteen yards this late in the game. He was a mature buck but just fell short of my 160" minimum for this season. Gray muzzle with a dark forehead. I'll have Steve O. post a photo, as I had a camera on the trail right by my stand. It was interesting how he happened by. I heard a deer snort from almost 300 yards upwind of me in some open CRP. I glassed to find a nice buck snorting at my pickup truck. He had walked up a ridge and bumped right into my parking spot. He snorted twice and then ran right to me. So much for strategy! He slowed to a fast walk after a hundred yards or so and then walked even slower as a doe appeared from a draw he went into. He actually walked right past the doe and continued on toward the gap above the header where I was sitting. Like I said, it was a tough call but I can live with it. And so can he :>) There is still a lot of satisfaction involved for me in passing up nice bucks for one reason or another. According to the trail cameras, there has been a lot of nocturnal activity with the full moon this last week. The hours around dusk and dawn saw most movement. This has been one of my best seasons. When you hunt with a recurve bow, limit shots to inside the 25 yard line, shoot only at 160" class mature bucks, etc. I suspect one can expect to eat a buck tag or two no matter how hard you try. As a wise man once said, the satisfaction is all in the journey. Happy New Year folks!

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
" the satisfaction is all in the journey" Amen brother!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Superb post, Gene...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter