3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cheap & Easy one piece longbow case!  (Read 377 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Cheap & Easy one piece longbow case!
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Just thought I would share how I build a bow case.  I use 3" or 4" sewer pipe, depending on what I want.  The 3" works great for straight or mild R/D longbows.  Just slip your longbow into a sock and into the tube.

This sewer pipe has a 3,000# crush strength.  It is much lighter and cheaper than sked 40 though.

Here are the two different sizes.  The 4" model will fit several longbows.  I've had my pronounced R/D and a straight one, with a little extra room.  It would hold 3 straight ones with no problem.

The handle can be rigged many different ways.  I had the leather already, but nylon strap would work as well.   I used a coupler that I cut in half and slipped on to the place you see them.  It enabled me to drill tiny holes to start some 3/8" long sheet metal screws with a drop of super glue on the ends for lube!  :)   Works great, and they don't protrude into the inside of the tube.  The coupler halves are glued on with pvc cement.

One end has a cap that is glued, and the other has a "test plug", which was the most expensive part at $4.43 and 6.47 depending on the size.

I just measured my longest bow and added 5 inches for length.  You can glue some foam to the glued on cap before gluing it on for cushion on the bottom end.  

Works great, is light weight, and best of all, can be built in less than an hour very inexpensively.  The printed ink that comes on the pipe can be wiped off with acetone.  

Total cost, not counting the leather, was  right at $16 for the 3", and $19.50 for the 4".
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cheap & Easy one piece longbow case!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
Great stuff as usual Marty! I think I will try my hand a  building a few of these! Thanks.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Looks good!  I built a similar fly rod case out of sch 40.  About the only difference was that I used a threaded clean out fitting on the end.  I like that sewer pipe idea though.  How wide do you think it would need to be for a recurve?  I'm guessing pretty big.  The 3" would work for my selfbows and Montana fine though.
Silence is golden.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
I think the 4" will fit alot of recurves.  A 6" pipe is probably available, but would be big and heavy.  I don't have a recurve to test.  Hold it against a wall or work bench with the tips down and take some measurements.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
Hey you stole my idea!!lol. Mine looks just like that but I used rope for my handel. Mine hold 3 mild R/D bows that are in bow socks. Great minds think alike...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
3K# crush will stop a lot of transit problems. Lighter means cheaper costs. Good info. Thanks
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
It looks great. If you wanted something a little lighter, you could use SDR35. It good stuff also, just a thinner wall. We use both on the new septic systems we put in.....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
I used 4" schedule 40 for mine. It is a little heavier but stronger too. Sealed the bottom with a cap but used a clean out on the top with a threaded cap. Placed a little foam in the bottom and in the cap. Works great in the back of the Ford truck and I don't have to worry about the safety of the Hills.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
I have a similar one I made from 6" sched 40. A bit heavy, but I can fit 4 Hills in it at a time and not worry about stuff falling on top of it in the back of the truck.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Excellent!! Can you buy thise test plugs from a big box store like home depot or is it specialized to a plumbers supply house?
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
I bought all the supplies from my Lowes.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Looks like I'm off to Lowes! Thanks bro!
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
They can be about bullet proof if you are shipping a bow too.
I bought a bow from a guy in Long Island, and it came in a tube.  It was worth the money to ship it back to him empty for the peace of mind that the bow would be undamaged.
Ken Thornhill

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Thanks Apex! I need to make one my self.
>>>------John------>

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I make a simpler one without a handle and two caps on the ends to ship all my longbows in.  I don't ask for them back, because they only cost about $8.  These pipes come in 10' lengths, so you can make a nice arrow case out of the end you cut off.

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
I'm going too make one this weekend, thanks Apex for all the info. thats cheap bow insurance!

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Cool idea!  Think I'll make one for road trips   :thumbsup:

Offline Double Tee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Very good info apex,I was going to make one like that and still might. I found a fly rod case at Cabela's on close out for $5.oo! it was supposed to be 4" but when it came it was really 3" I can get my Martin Savannahs in it but its a tight fit! Really needs at least a 4" pipe. I thought about how to put on a handle when I made some and now I know!!! Thanks for the tips,also like the plug on the end.
John

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Apex, funny you should mention the arrow case. I did that also, took the scrap tube and made a arrow case when I travel. Went to Ohio and Illinios this year and took 1 1/2 dozen arrows that were totaly protected.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Westy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Looks great! I did something similiar this summer for my St. Croix fishing rods and they work perfect. Cheap insurance!
It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©