3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good 3D Deer Target for $100?  (Read 396 times)

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Good 3D Deer Target for $100?
« on: December 24, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
Going to BassPro in Clarksville, IN next week. Wanting to buy a decent, best bang for the "buck"(pun), 3D deer target for $100.00, if any such decent target exists for around that price.

Any of you all have any recommendations? I read pretty good customer reviews for the Redhead brand target online. The Delta has decent reviews also. Any advice from experience with these or the McKenzie cheapo model would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug....
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good 3D Deer Target for $100?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Doug, my exprience is only with the the Delta targets in the price range you speak of and I have found the insert to be good for about 3-4 weeks at the most if you shoot regularly. The body seems to last about twice this long if you take quartering shots. I spent about 2 1/2 times as much, got a Rinehart "spike buck" and am getting about twice as much life from the insert as I got from the entire Delta target. To me, you get what you pay for.

Offline Mike Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
I have both the cheap targets and a few Rineharts.
The Rinehart is much easier to pull arrows from but I have had Delta and Cabelas targets for years. I don't shoot broadheads at my 3-D targets. I get a cheap piece of foam and work at getting my broadheads and field points to shoot the in the same place and only shoot field points at 3-D targets.

Mike Lee

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
Hey Doug,
     I picked up a Delta Riverbottom buck at the BassPro in Denver for about $100.  It held up well for almost 2 years, but I would recommend purchasing an additional insert or two because they don't last long if you are shooting broadheads.  
     I finally purchased a Rinehart and they are well worth the extra money...

Have a Merry Christmas,
Josh
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Hi Doug!

I just get the 75 dollar cheapies (Delta) from places like Fleet Farm. The "replacable" vital area is not is as big on those that are a little more expensive but they are affordable.

When I have it all shot up I go and buy a replacable vital area (about 15 dollars) then I fill in the rest of the holes in the body ( cant hit the vitals every time    :bigsmyl:  ) with "great stuff" expanding foam. A bottle of that is around 5-6 bucks. That really stretches out the life of my targets.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by frassettor:
Hi Doug!

I just get the 75 dollar cheapies (Delta) from places like Fleet Farm. The "replacable" vital area is not is as big on those that are a little more expensive but they are affordable.

When I have it all shot up I go and buy a replacable vital area (about 15 dollars) then I fill in the rest of the holes in the body ( cant hit the vitals every time     :bigsmyl:   ) with "great stuff" expanding foam. A bottle of that is around 5-6 bucks. That really stretches out the life of my targets.
Me too! The only thing I don't like about the Delta targets is the hard plastic legs. If you hit the insert that goes up into the body, it is almost impossible to remove the arrow without wrecking the foam around the leg. The other thing is that the vital area is pretty high, so it's just lungs. A heart shot would be out of the vital insert area.

Still, if you repair them with great stuff they will last a couple years, especially if you limit the broadhead use (I do shoot some).
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Very good advice, guys, as usual. I probably won't be shooting b-heads at it very much, from what you all are saying.

Anybody tried the Redhead brand target?
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Go to a big shoot and you can probably pick up a nice used target for around $75-$100.It will be a much better target and the repair kit will keep it going for a long time.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
In my original post I did not mention it but the only thing ever shot into both the Delta and the Rinehart target has been field points.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:

Originally posted by frassettor:
Hi Doug!

When I have it all shot up I go and buy a replacable vital area (about 15 dollars) then I fill in the rest of the holes in the body ( cant hit the vitals every time      :bigsmyl:    ) with "great stuff" expanding foam. A bottle of that is around 5-6 bucks. That really stretches out the life of my targets.
Me too! The only thing I don't like about the Delta targets is the hard plastic legs. If you hit the insert that goes up into the body, it is almost impossible to remove the arrow without wrecking the foam around the leg. The other thing is that the vital area is pretty high, so it's just lungs. A heart shot would be out of the vital insert area.

Still, if you repair them with great stuff they will last a couple years, especially if you limit the broadhead use (I do shoot some). [/b]
Ahhh Yes those plastic legs! I do not care for those. Ive lost a few tips in them, but none the less Im pretty satisfied with the Deltas.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Doug ,I have had a "back yard buck" from I think Dick"s Sporting Goods and it has lasted over two years.....I think we picked it up on sale for 79.00 ......I just shoot one side and then turn it around and that seems to help a lot.....also for a little more $$$$ , you cannot beat R & W targets.....they last a LONG time......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
I have the red head boar with the layered vitals for broadheads.  It has served me well for $99 at the time.  Seriously though I've had several different targets and in my experience I would now spend the extra $ and buy a rinehart, it will actually save you money in the long run.

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
The price hurts but the Rineharts are by fare the best.  I have had a broadhead buck in my back yard for 7 or 8 years and just recently replaced the kill zone.

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
I too shoot the $75 model. I don't shoot broadheads at them either. I have mine on a roll-around stand my son bought me for Christmas one time, it works wonders! I am satisfied with it, But then again I don't feel that I always have to have the "best" in order to have fun. Is there better?, Yes, but for the price it gets the job done. No matter who makes the target, I have yet to see any that I would say it looks like the real thing! For some of the prices I have seen I would like to see a more life like appearance and better quality.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
I found it best to get a bear or boar target for the money.The cheaper deer targets have plastic leg and leg inserts that will require you to cut your arrow out if you hit them.Check this link!

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=081989#000000

They aren't made for broadheads,if you shoot broadheads best to get a broadhead target
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Well, since I don't have the extra cash for the Rinehart, I guess I'll go with the Redhead buck. It's on sale right now for $109, down from $139.

Thanks for your replies.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
try avoid getting one with a plastic front leg Doug.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
The biggest thing to look for is how the legs attach to the body.  I have a Delta and the only thing I dont like is the leg housing is very high in the chest cavity.  A true heart shot with a broadhead will catch this plastic housing and is a pain to get an arrow out of...very discouraging for youngsters or beginers.  

Merry Chistmas!

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Doug,just back back from BPS & they had 2 different 3d deer targets...79.00 & 99.00..one was a delta & the other was a basspro brand..both were nice targets...

Mark
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Thanks, Mark.  The BassPro brand (RedHead) is the one I'm after.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©