3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody use a beater bow?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody use a beater bow?
« on: December 24, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
I'm thinking of picking up a cheap new or used bow to carry when the conditions aren't quite ideal. Last year I totally destroyed the finish on my Zona during the JLMBH and had to have it refinished. I don't want that to happen again and I also don't wish to carry it in poor weather conditons either(snow/rain etc..). Being my only bow I can't afford to replace it if something were to happen.

I was looking at the Martin jaguar takedown from cabelas for $140 figure with the $20 off coupon it would be a good choice. What say the gods of Trad???  Thanks SKippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody use a beater bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
All my bows are beater bows.

I look at them as tools.  I don't buy and sell, so I let what happens happen.

I don't see how hunting is going to hurt a bow.... unless you fall on it or something.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Not a bad idea I guess....but I've been draggin' bow thru the brush at Shawn's for years and never ruined the finish on any of them....sounds like maybe the finish wasn't up to parr to begin with bud...thorns shouldn't really scratch the finish of a bow.

Like Keith said...bows are tools...scratches and such are character and proof that the bow is doing what is was made to do. Guess that's why I like hunting with my old time/field proven old bows....

That said...that Martin bow sounds like a good deal...it would do just fine....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
Nobody laugh at my beauty here  :D  .I have this one for getting in the brush after rabbits. I dont take it all the time, but we have a couple of spots that are very thick and this works great. Ben Pearson Superjet. Its 40# and tough as nails.....Roy

"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
If your bow has a professional finish, you won't have that problem.  Zona has changed his finish to one that is much more durable recently, I do believe.  I know he was using a ratttle can finish previously, and they don't hold up nearly as well to Fullerplast, Thunderbird epoxy, or Krystal.  The only bad thing I've heard about the Jaguar is that they are poorly finished.  Maybe that has changed.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Right now I use my Martin X-150 for everything. It's pretty reliable and pretty tough considering where I've taken it. I think that you can't go wrong with the Jaguar. Everyone I've talked to about it says that it can't be beat for the price. You'll probably want to get a different rest for it as the one that it comes with is cheap plastic. New string too I think. I'm thinking of getting one for bowfishing this summer.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
One more thing, you may just want to get some limb skins. Would be cheaper.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
If you decide on a second bow, I'd suggest a used Bear, Martin, Wing, Pearson, etc. for the same money. You'd get a better bow, IMO.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
i use an howatt hunter alot i love it just for the fact that i can beat it to pieces and no really care that is my go to bow for rabbit hunting or stalking deer in very thick brush(unsucessfully might i add) its nice to have bow around like that its also my backup bow
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
They're not scratches they're scars-badges of honor incurred in "battles" with the elements and fond reminders of great hunts!    :thumbsup:   I hunt with one of those $1200 bows and still prefer to block flung branches with it rather than my face!  :D   I love the look of a well worn tool or Willie Nelson's guitar with the hole in it. Seriously though, I don't mean to make light or fun of what you are saying: I agree that a good finish should protect a bow in the inclement weather etc. and Bowdoc will do an awesome job refinishing it for a fair price if need be. Just my thoughts.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
I use an old bear 76er. they are takedowns fiberglass limbs, mag riser just about indestructable, and they are cheap

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I had Rob at Bob Lee take may Riser down and he refinshed it looks new so when she get to ugly I will send it back and get a face lift or not as long as she shoots.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
I got tired of toting $1000 bows thru the briars and woods. I always worried about scratching them. Got myself a Quinn recurve. $250 and it shoots great.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with having a spare, I have several. I bought my bows to hunt with, no matter what conditions, if its not up to it I'll find one that is.

Eric

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
I don't have a beater bow for hunting, but I do have a bear 76er I bought off the big auction site for $50 shipped that I use for bowfishing.  I don't mind if my bow gets a little roughed up while hunting, like Westbrook said, that's why I got'em.  However I just can't bring myself to slime'em all up and let'em get beat around the boat while bowfishing.

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Well said by all. Bill makes some real nice bows and yes he was using an inferior finish when he built my T/D. I beleive Krystal is his new finish of choice. Bill has become a good friend of mine over the past couple years. Both of my Zonas are ser #1 therefore they have (as gay as it sounds)sentimental value to them. I will eventually buy another one of Bill's T/d's for daily use and that will become my go to bow so I can retire this one. I think in the mean time I'll start cruising the classifieds to hold me over. Thanks for the input. Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Does Willie Nelson use a beater Guit-picker? I agree with No-Sage on this...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
With the exception of my Dryad fishing longbow all of my bows are top quality works of art.I dont intentionally beat them but if something happens to em while hunting, my feelings dont get hurt too bad.Its what theyre for.I remember one day a cousin of mine telling me as we passed a nasty brushy area at the side of the road saying"That Looks Good But I wouldnt Hunt That With My Big East Bow." My other cousin and I beat him so badly he didnt speak to us the rest of the way home.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Well, I have my #1 bow (my Mikuta longbow) and a few old 1960's Bear recurves.

Acualy, my "beater" bow is my Mikuta!!!!! It's made of all actionwood and practicaly "bomb proof"..... I probly take better care of those old Bear recurves LOL!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I have a Ben Pearson cougar that I have owned for 35? years now. I bought it at a store closing as a boy. It was the only bow I have ever hunted with until this year. I bought a Fischer 3pc long bow at Mojam from The Nocking point. I guess I have never owned a "good bow".
  I remember watching the Fred Bear hunting shows on TV. He would just throw his bows on the ground where ever he was. I suppose it was marketing, but That is pretty much what I've always done and I have never damaged my bows. I do use tip protectors and on occasion cammo bow socks.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©