3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody use a beater bow?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline yamaharider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody use a beater bow?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
I recently bought a PSE Coyote, has not arrived yet but got a great deal.  Heard good and bad about them so I figure I give it a try for a "beater" bow. I don't hesitate to take my favorite bows (all of them) but I would like to have one for a throw around.
PSAV

"The older I get, the better I was"

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
bows are meant to be used no matter how much they cost.i wouldn't buy a bow if i wasn't gonna hunt with it in all types of weather,like said before they are tools of the trade,use them and replace them when the time comes or refinish them when they need it.just my opinion.
Richard Battistoni

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
I use a "beater bow" for bowfishing since I don't intend to beat my good bow around in mud and rocks.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Before I bought a New beater, I would find a used bow on the classifieds that was cheap and would fill your needs. I have seen lots of good bows that were a bit rough but still shooters for $100- $175. Even If you have to clean it up a bit you might be better off. One of my beaters is a Black Widow, I paid less than $400 for it. That bow is just a good hunting bow that is not very pretty but shoots like a dream!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
What no-sage said. The bow I used this year was made in early 2000. First week I had it I left it on the roof of the truck strung. Lucky I saw it bouncing down the road at 55mph.  Had to re-tiller and tried to refinish several times. Now just wipe the scratches with floor wax once a season.  Hunted with that bow through a 4 day soaker this past fall with no ill affects.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Just for bowfishing! other than that, my silvertip is my constant companion! Jason

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
I bought a Super Kodiak for exactly that purpose, but it became my  favorite bow, and I ended shooting it for a whole year

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
I love it.  Expensive bows that have to be refinished after a year or two.  What the/???????
Must be using that $1.12 Color Place Spray Paint.
Oh wait.....I have used that and it wears pretty well 8^).

If I want art, I will buy art.  If I want a bow, I expect it to be like me in time; scratched, dented, a little wrinkled, but still able to get the job done with character.  

There are bows showing up all the time on the classfied as being refinished by so and so, and the bow is only a few years old?  Waddup wit dat?  Is it bad finishing work, or are we so particular that we just can't stand a little scratch or two?  If that's the case, you sure don't want me in camp, uglying up the place.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
Well, I started out with a custom bow and over the years it has started turning into a bit of a beater.  It's still a gorgeous bow but it's been dropped a couple times, dry fired a couple times and this past season I drove over it in a gravel parking lot with a '98 Expedition!!!   :eek:  

Still going strong and like some of the guys have said, it's just character scars.  I'd like to do a refinish this year at some point but may or may not.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
We make are "Mountain bow" just on that request.There are alot of hunters across the nation that like to hunt from boats.The Mountain bow has a camo finish.There are alot of guys out there that would rather have a workhorse bow over a fancy finished bow. For them we make the Mountain bow.For me I like a fancy bow with a nice finish.Like mentioned above the finish that most pro bowyers use is a very tough finish.It will hold up for years.

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
for most hunting my plx is my beater bow, witch can be unfortunate when like a month ago I drop it 25 feet out of a tree with my rattling horns and put a huge ding in it    :banghead:   I do however use a junker for bowfishing, that can get real messy.
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
all my hunting bows are beaters in a way but not intentionally. bows are tools and when you use them they get dropped, dinged and scratched and I refinish them usually once a year or as needed to keep them looking nice and protected.  Even my bowsfishing bow started as a nice new bow.  my new takedown tomahawk that I got this past spring has already been refinished once due to scratches and ding from use.  just never about how they get used.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
To each their own.
I have bows that I bought for performance and looks.  I like to keep them in the best condition that I can.
Strictly for hunting, I buy for performance, but if they happen to look good with a nice set of snake skins; that is what I enjoy.
Ken Thornhill

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I was thinking of the same thing and said to myself " just use it, it can be refinished and you know that switching around is not the best"

I put a good coat of wax on in the fall and leave it on till after the season.

I need to hunt in all kind of weather or I would not get out much. Even less than I did this year.

Shoot it. It is a tool. JMHO

Tim
DEATHMASTER

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
Sorry could'nt think of having a bow and not carrying it hunting or shooting..So don't have to beat the briers for rabbits with it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
I have an old PSE Blackhawk I use in rough weather as a beater bow. I love my old classic bows too much to risk damage, and the PSE shoots "almost" as good...LOL!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Does Willie Nelson use a beater Guit-picker?  
As a matter of fact he does.  You ever see Willie's guitar, autographs all over it and a 6" hole scratched through the top where his fingernails rub.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I have an old single carbon Palmer that is beat up and faded. It was that way when I got it. It's a good shooter. I call it DUB-Darned Ugly Bow. Jim

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Modern bows are very tought,and few scares make just character you can use hardly your bow without damaging it,just surface issue easyly fixed.But if you need a beater bow go with a Bear,Howatt or Shakespeare of the old they are cheap but great shooter and they can easyly become your faforite.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
I have a 60lb pronghorn and a 60lb PLII that I use for beaters and general hunting bows. Both had been hunted before I bought them. Funny, I don't think I have put a scratch in either one yet.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©