3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody use a beater bow?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody use a beater bow?
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
I use an old Shakespeare for bowfishing that I sealed up real good with super glue.  Except for that I use 'em all.  I quit using my BigHorn for awhile 'cause I was thinkin' it was too pretty, but I started using it again...I love that bow..  :archer:

Offline barley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
Not everybody is a bowyer or wants to be but whats nice about it is you can knock out several wood bows and put on a good bit of tung oil finish. Might even rub on some wax and the weather won't hurt them, or you can melt some pariffen into the wood. If anything happens just make some more. Costs little or nothing.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
I shoot the same bow clear exclusively thru huntin season,so if it takes a  beatin, so be it!!  LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
I do have a beater bow set up for bowfishing.  But at the end of a long season my bows have a scratch or two and maybe a dent.  I refinish them or not depending on my mood.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Bunch of girlies 8^).  I'll be back in a minute, have to go iron and crease my  hunting pants so they don't get a wrinkle till next week.  8^))))))))))))).

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Bunch of girlies 8^).  I'll be back in a minute, have to go iron and crease my  hunting pants so they don't get a wrinkle till next week.  8^))))))))))))).
I don't iron mine, but I do occasionally have to wash out a blood stain or two.   ;)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
All the custom bows i own are used for hunting and sometimes they just get scratched. I have found that when my hunting items get that used look to them they just get better.

When they get that used look to them i seem to get better use out of them.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I read this thread...then I was down stairs putting the finishing touches on the giveaway arrows,looking up at my trusty bear grizzly on the rack.Then at my silvertip.I really sat down and thought about which one has more value to me and which I'd take through a briar patch for bunnies.I value them both.

Then today as I was trashing through the briars with my silvertip,I thought about this thread,and I looked at my bow.I'm not the kind of guy that has a bunch of stuff to look at.I buy my equipment to use it.Why pay 750 plus to have a nice bow if it's going to sit home while the "beater" bow gets all the war wounds.

May as well just get a beater bow and sell the rest if I was that worried about them.JMTC.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
I bought my bows to use.I get them scratched up so be it.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Heck George has more scratches and dents then any beater bow.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
im gonna be doin the same as you skippy. im gonna bring my rer to the bunny hunt, but i plan on pickin up an older bear takedown hunter for the actual hunt itself..
plus, i figure it gives me another excuse to buy  another bow!!

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Great Thread!  I use my beautiful bows to hunt with.  If I had to take a bow on a hunt that I knew was going to be extra tough on it, I would take my Quinn and put some limbskins or something on the limbs to help protect them a little.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:

Like Keith said...bows are tools...scratches and such are character and proof that the bow is doing what is was made to do. Guess that's why I like hunting with my old time/field proven old bows....

That said...that Martin bow sounds like a good deal...it would do just fine....
Well said..I agree. The scratches are "charcter", my "OCD" says different though  :bigsmyl:    :biglaugh:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
I carry the same bow no matter what kind of hunting I'm doing I bought the bow to use so I use it. I do take care of my bows and try not to bugger them up. Widow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Every one of mine has lots of character marks but my favorite, a '62 Kodiak took a finish hit in the last snow storm.  Where the finish had checked and crazed in the grip area, moisture got in and lifted the checked area.  I scraped it down to bare wood and applied two coats of spar varnish to seal it but now I have a dark spot in the grip.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Curt said it for me!! I have dragged some bows worthover a grand on my bunny hunts and as you know, I go thru the thickest stuff known to man. I have been known to toss my bow a time or two to be able to get out alive!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
I don't get it. Just how do you beat up a bow while hunting? You must be purposely abusing it. I've been through brush from PA to TX and never once scratched my bow. Are you swinging it overhead to mow down briars or what?

I have done some dumb things with my bow and added "character marks". Like when I leaned my bow against a tree and it slipped into the rocks, and the time I walked into a barbed wire fence in the dark, and when I dropped it down my steps.

I'm careful with my bows but not overly protective of them either. Still, I've been using my bows hard for many years and never once damaged one by hunting with it. They all look the way they did the day I bought them.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
I use the bow to push brush out of the way.  They frequently get banged against the tree when being hauled into the treestand.  Sometimes I stumble and the bow gets smashed into the mud or rocks.  Sometimes I lean it against a tree and it falls.  One time, a limb tip caught a branch on release and the bow fell 20 feet to the ground.  Crap happens, especially when you treat the bow like a hammer.  I haven't bought any bows new, but they are still pretty expensive.  I only have one bow that I won't take hunting, and that is because it has a very glossy finish that I don't feel like messing with.  Too pretty for someone like me.  It's getting sold.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I purchased an old beater bow from Georgr D. Stout and a good man to deal with he is! It was an old American Archery recurve, green fiberglass limbs and all. My oldest son David fell in love with it, but I'll grant you it's being put to good use. He has 5 children and takes them to a local archery range in Lincoln to shoot. The kids bows are all prettier than his. My youngest son has an old Shakespeare Wambaw, but now, it's clean. And I just picked up an old Quillian Longhunter. Nothin wrong with an old Beater Bow. If you shoot something and it isn't dead, just hit em over the head with it. And I believe that quote came from Dan Quillian himself.
And George, I don't iron my pants either. Just fold em fresh out of the dryer and wear em til the wrinkles drop out.
Fred E. Arnold
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
I picked up a 58" Chiron (Great Tree) Volcano as a backup/basement/beater bow. I wasn't expecting much for $240, but when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised at it's beauty, shootability, and speed. It really feels good and find myself shooting it a lot. It almost immediately moved to backup status behind my 58" Lee TD Hunter, which I use for most of my hunting/shooting...

Also have a 58" Wing Red Wing Hunter I bought back in the early 80's for $50 from the local archery shop. Very pretty bow that I use primarily for basement shooting and bowfishing...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©